Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Even if they need a separate form for the front end, volume will be low enough initially that they can make a bunch of front ends then switch the one machine to make rear ends. That won’t work for 250k per year, but as they are ramping up should be fine.
Sponsored

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Even if they need a separate form for the front end, volume will be low enough initially that they can make a bunch of front ends then switch the one machine to make rear ends. That won’t work for 250k per year, but as they are ramping up should be fine.
Kinda what I was thinking. Front day, rear day. If maxing, that’s 500 trucks a day at 1000 casts per day. That’s a lotta trucks.

2nd press I talked about a few weeks ago, expecting that in summer. Seems about right I guess. Good stuff!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Which I think means pricing not scary. But also, long list and other vehicles can use this.

if it’s red like that, almost positive that signifies tesla
The Tesla 6Ks are almost a shiny red, so the color doesn't help. That said, a second 9K , if true, would be great. But this might be the first one might it not?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Kinda what I was thinking. Front day, rear day. If maxing, that’s 500 trucks a day at 1000 casts per day. That’s a lotta trucks.

2nd press I talked about a few weeks ago, expecting that in summer. Seems about right I guess. Good stuff!
It has to be a lot more difficult and time consuming to switch out dies, materials, and programming, than one day. Likely each die uses a different mix in the aluminum, different cooling, etc. But maybe they could run one die for a week at a time.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
It has to be a lot more difficult and time consuming to switch out dies, materials, and programming, than one day. Likely each die uses a different mix in the aluminum, different cooling, etc. But maybe they could run one die for a week at a time.
That would probably be far more smart. For a minute they’ll be engineering the injection process tho which sucks. Still trucks by summer. Just more I like with my high teens estimate for 2023 I think. Maybe less.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I agree there is likely a significant effort in switching dies.

But we’ve seen them stockpile thousands of castings around the factory before. Switching weekly or biweekly should be fine if the assembly line is running at less than 2,000 trucks a week. For the model Y that took most of the year to get to 2,000/ week.

It may be that is what the “mass production” target they are talking about for year end 2023, the installation of the second press.

It’s all a black box. So few facts come out we’re all guessing a bit on how the pie is made.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
You’re hugely over blowing what I said. Way out of context. I hope you see that.

I was speaking exclusively to idra and their build. Other products are silver and blue
RED is what it looks like BEFORE it’s painted. I hope you see that

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
I don't, show some examples? I believe it's painted red here but not finished with it's gloss.

Walkstep

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tundra, 1968 Dodge Dart, 1983 CJ8 Crawler
Occupation
Sales
Country flag

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
Sandy Monroe had said Tesla would need two 9k Gigapresses for the CT in a recent interview. Soooo... this should be #2?

It amazes me that Sandy is still wearing that cheap Sekonda watch after 3 or 4 years, that's his testament to cost cutting mindset

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
I am on the fence. I am leaning towards Brick Red or Mahogany. ;)

Tesla Cybertruck IDRA Reveals a Second 9K Press In Build Status! 1667846959127
Sponsored