Engineering Explained: F-150 better than Cybertruck for towing duty (over distance)

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Cool trailers, but not what I would call aerodynamic...
Sponsored

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
collector chevy K20, cybertruck asap
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
Cool trailers, but not what I would call aerodynamic...
I think that with the CYBERTRUCK release many rv manufacturer are going to make aerodynamic campers that would work with the CYBERTRUCK. you will see even Tesla will possibly make few with solar panels. I have been looking for a good small RV that would fit with the CYBERTRUCK and includes some usable space inside.

Alto:

Safari Condo’s Alto has solar panels built directly onto its elevating roof, which can retract at the push of a button. Available in two different models, the R-1713 / R-1723, they also feature a king-sized bed, dining area, fixed flush toilet, a small kitchen, and plenty of storage space.

Tesla Cybertruck Engineering Explained: F-150 better than Cybertruck for towing duty (over distance) 1588686664892

Tesla Cybertruck Engineering Explained: F-150 better than Cybertruck for towing duty (over distance) 1588686787708

Last edited:

chphilo

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), Tundra
Country flag
The improvement of the range in ICE trucks were achieved over many decades. I have 2010 Tundra with 26.4 gallon gas tank. I get 200-300 miles per tank. During winter, it drops to less than 100 (sometimes a lot less). A larger tank (which wasn't an available oem option when I purchased the truck) tend to hang down low and make the truck lean to the side, so I opted not to get it. Short range doesn't bother me that much. I know many ICE truck owners who didn't upgrade for similar reasons.

I am not sure what the point of the original video was except to say that not-yet available CT does not have the same range as Ford 150 with largest currently available tank.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I just keep getting the feeling that Tesla has way more up there sleeve in regards to the cybertruck, i have a feeling with the new battery tech (whatever it may be) and faster charging its gonna be almost a non-issue.

I mean the whole point isnt to be as good, its to be substantially better

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
When that video was made there was a widespread assumption that towing ability depends on the vehicle and they set out to demonstrate that the X is not capable of towing (which it isn't unless you tow a trailer of suitable characteristics under suitable conditions with range expectation consistent with the X battery size). The CT differs in its towing ability from the X by having a bigger battery. I hope we have discussed this here to the extent that people are starting to understand the basics.

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
BRUDER EXP 6 SPECS: PULLING 5000 LBS IS NOT TOO BAD????

SPECIFICATIONS
Weight: 1980kg* = 4,356‬ LBS
ATM: 3000kg = 4356 LBS PLUS CARGO = 2200 LBS (5000 LBS TRAILER IS FAR LESS THAN 14000 LBS CAPACITY).
Axle Capacity: 5200kg = 11400 LBS
Brakes: Four Wheel ventilated disc
Body Length: 5000mm
Total Length: 6723mm
Ground Clearance: 650mm
Max Tyre Size: 35inch
Max Tyre Size: 35inch
Low Height: 2120mm (2470mm GT)
Max Height: 2430mm (2780mm GT)
Body Width: 1920mm
Wheel Track: 1690mm
Body Insulation R-value: Over 5.1
Water Capacity: 170L Internal body tank (more water storage available)
Chassis: Certified engineered, air-tight & sealed (no holes) painted black 125mm x 75mm with 2x recovery points and optional Warn winch.
Suspension: Bruder design, 12-inch adjustable wheel travel, 450 grade high tensile hollow section tapered suspension arms, 4x Bruder specific remote canister rose joint monotube shock absorbers.
Body: Certified engineered, Epoxy bonded closed cell composite up to 60mm with no pathway in construction for insulation leakage.

*Weight fluctuates up/down depending on the options and build selected. Each EXP-6 is individually weighted.

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
When that video was made there was a widespread assumption that towing ability depends on the vehicle and they set out to demonstrate that the X is not capable of towing (which it isn't unless you tow a trailer of suitable characteristics under suitable conditions with range expectation consistent with the X battery size). The CT differs in its towing ability from the X by having a bigger battery. I hope we have discussed this here to the extent that people are starting to understand the basics.

I TOTALLY AGREE. I am getting a trimotor with capability of 500 plus miles and 14000 lbs. Towing way below half of that for a distance of 200 miles at a time at 60 miles an hour or so is not an issue for me. Important: tesla charging stations are going to be available in many more locations at a good charging speed so I am not worried about anything. I personnelly worry about RIVIAN that is coming up soon with not much to offer in terms of charging stations????

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I TOTALLY AGREE. I am getting a trimotor with capability of 500 plus miles and 14000 lbs. Towing way below half of that for a distance of 200 miles at a time at 60 miles an hour or so is not an issue for me. Important: tesla charging stations are going to be available in many more locations at a good charging speed so I am not worried about anything. I personnelly worry about RIVIAN that is coming up soon with not much to offer in terms of charging stations????
RIVIAN is probably going to just use the plethora of everything but superchargers to charge (chargepoint, electrify america ect). I highly doubt anyone is gonna do the same thing Tesla did with its supercharger stations.

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
RIVIAN is probably going to just use the plethora of everything but superchargers to charge (chargepoint, electrify america ect). I highly doubt anyone is gonna do the same thing Tesla did with its supercharger stations.
EXACTLY, NOT MUCH.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
EXACTLY, NOT MUCH.
There are quite a few non supercharging stations in my area, they are actually more convenient than the superchargers and more of them. But whats really cool is the fact that Tesla can use other stations with adapters, making it even easier to get a quick charge if you need. The rapid expansion of Electrify America will probably leave Rivian without any problems + more chargers for Tesla too!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Fast (70 kW ans up) alternatives to the SC network are still relatively few and far between but improving. Most significant is it seems as if the cost of a kWh of energy at EA stations is now more in line with the Tesla net e.g. 25 -35 cents or so per depending on location and whether you are a big enough user to justify paying the $4 per month fee for the lower rate.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
BRUDER EXP 4

1588686015460.png

BRUDER EXP 6

1588685982857.png
I have considered getting the EXP 4 however I cannot find any information regarding them in the USA even though I know that they will ship here. Where would you get it serviced at or warranty work? In the southeast I would also be interested in it having AC. I am not on Facebook so I can’t check there.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Fast (70 kW ans up) alternatives to the SC network are still relatively few and far between but improving. Most significant is it seems as if the cost of a kWh of energy at EA stations is now more in line with the Tesla net e.g. 25 -35 cents or so per depending on location and whether you are a big enough user to justify paying the $4 per month fee for the lower rate.
I like standards and I hope that Tesla will upgrade their charging infrastructure to support the current standard here in the US, but from a business point of view, do not see them doing that.

I know Tesla vehicles are equipped with the standard connectors for Europe in Europe and the same in China, so it is possible, but because there is no US law mandating the use of a standard, Tesla is free to use their proprietary connection.

thejohnllama

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2007 Toyota Prius
Occupation
Marketing Consultant
Country flag
Regen on downhill sections would compensate for extra juice going up some amount

cybertrucktruckguy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Tundra Limited, 2016 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Manager
Country flag