Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
Musk said as much that the cybertruck was a big gamble.

If they pull through with their promises it will be a huge shift of what vehicles are.

If they don't, they probably have a boring cab looking version on deck they can ramp up.
Sponsored

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
"how many Cybertrucks can roll up to a parent-teacher conference or youth soccer match at the same time before losing some of that indescribable… something?"

Said it before, will say it again... if CT is pitched as a vehicle to drive to the parent-teacher conference, it will fail. It needs to be a tough-as-nails utility vehicle for people who need its capabilities to get stuff done. It needs to be priced to reflect that job. Then it becomes a solid 300k-500k a year working man's truck/police cruiser/etc. If Tesla tries to pitch this as the refined luxury utility vehicle ala the Hummer or Silverado or Lighting Platinum, it will fail. I would bet money they do not do that. Analysts are misunderstanding the CT market position.

mprimo

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, BMW X6
Occupation
US Government
Country flag
na, I'd say you just like things that work as expected. Could you imagine getting your brand new F150 Lightning, driving to an Electrify America charging station and none of the stalls work. Yikes.

Unless you're donating money to Tesla or have an Elon shrine at your home, you're good.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Musk said as much that the cybertruck was a big gamble.

If they pull through with their promises it will be a huge shift of what vehicles are.

If they don't, they probably have a boring cab looking version on deck they can ramp up.
Really, they won’t ever do a traditional cab design because it has poor aerodynamics. I bet even a future Tesla truck would still have the wedge shape but probably not be stainless. My guess is the stainless probably won’t actually be a cost savings.

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
Blade Runner, Office Space and Spinal Tap: Cult Movies.

Neuromancer, The Rubaiyat and 1984: Cult Novels.

The Mask, Astro Boy and American Splendor: Cult Comics.

The Grateful Dead, They Might Be Giants and The Pixies: Cult Bands.

I'll take Cult.
Cult seems fine.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Analysts are misunderstanding the CT market position.
Here in our group there are a large number of people wanting their CT to do a very wide range to things. One could argue that at least some of them are misunderstanding the CT market position. But really, since Tesla has not fully shown us the final truck with the final specs, one could argue that Tesla has not fully declared the CT market position.

Of course at a $100 investment (with interest we're up to what ~$130 bucks or so of lost opportunity costs), there isn't much risk of taking a chance on the CT in hopes that the final delivered version will fit the market position each of us thinks it is in. I might starve waiting for the CT to come out but it won't be because of that $100 I have bet on a CT.

When the final specs come out and we see the actual production line truck, there is a chance that some of us are going to be disappointed. But I'm pretty sure that the majority here will be very happy with the final version.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Sigh...

The Tesla Cybertruck is likely to be a 'cult car' with limited volume says Morgan Stanley

Mar 09, 2023 07:45AM ET

By Michael Elkins
Morgan Stanley reiterated an Overweight rating and $220.00 price target on Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA). After speaking with clients, analysts feel there may be some room to manage expectations about the significance of the Cybertruck.

There are some who believe that Tesla may sell many hundreds of thousands of Cybertrucks annually. However, analysts think it will more likely be an enthusiast/cult car with far more limited volume. Somewhere closer to 50k units/year.

“The Cybertruck is an important element of Tesla’s futurist brand image,” write analysts. “One of the most interesting features of the truck is the lack of a Tesla emblem anywhere on its exterior. The truck itself is emblematic of the company and the risks it is willing to take to push the envelope and reinvent so many aspects of what it means to be an auto manufacturer. We feel the Cybertruck carries more value in a cultural/zeitgeist sense than in a direct economic sense. At the same time, we encourage our readers to ask themselves: how many Cybertrucks can roll up to a parent-teacher conference or youth soccer match at the same time before losing some of that indescribable… something?”

In November of 2019, when Tesla first unveiled the Cybertruck, the company’s share price was around $22 with a market cap of just under $65 billion. At the time, Tesla was just beginning to post positive GAAP profit and was still ramping up its Shanghai plant.

“A lot has changed since Franz von Holzhausen threw a metal ball at the ‘Armor Glass’ window of the Cybertruck in November 2019,” write analysts. “The truck is real and we had a great time with it last week behind the Austin plant. But financially it may be more of a ‘side-show’ to the Tesla story today.”

Morgan Stanley still thinks the Cybertruck is an important product for Tesla in many ways. At the same time, they think investors can consider that Tesla’s mission, and the expectations embedded in its $650B market cap, has expanded exponentially since 2019.

investing-new.png
this is the same Morgan Stanley that was a participant in the housing market crash because they were greedy and corrupt and stupid right ?

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I partially agree with the statement.

I think this year we might see 2-3k trucks leave the factory and they will all be the premium top level trim level, Quad Motor.

2024 might see 50k trucks and they will all be premium Quad Motor trims as well to help offset the costs of Cybertruck development and capital expenses over the last 3.5 - 4 years.

I think the lower priced Dual Motor trim won’t start seeing production until 2025-2026.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
I never thought I was a cult member.

it is not like I would give them money for their proprietary products… ummm

Nor would I commit to an annual monetary contract… (data package)

I do not dress in their swag…. (Tesla broken window t-shirt, hoodie, hat)

I’m a cult member
I have 3 items.

1 - CyberBottle opener (self purcahsed)
2 - SpaceX "Nuke Mars" opener (gifted to me)
3 - Cybertruck RC toy (gifted to me)

Also a cult member apparently.

I don't quite get why analysts can't understand that a large portion of us just want a truck that can last for decades....

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I don't quite get why analysts can't understand that a large portion of us just want a truck that can last for decades....
If we get a truck that will last for decades, they will all be retired or dead before we ever get around to listening to them again. Pundits need an audience.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Some group being a cult is often just in contrast to whatever group is making the statement. I mean look at the Romans. They considered Christianity to be a cult. How many christians are there now? Morgan Stanley may see CT enthusiasts as a small cult. But wait till the see the sales numbers over time. Perhaps they will call us a large cult. Or their analysts may even decide they want to join. Then the traditionalist ICE truck guys may become the small cult that doesn't want to move forward.

Now, there are some seriously dangerous groups that are seen as cults. So not trying to minimize that issue. But generally, when I see someone resort to calling a group a cult, it just means they don't have a rational reason to make the group look bad. So they result to name calling. In general it tends to show their weak argument more than anything about said group.
In Latin, 'cult' meant group or place, it has the same root as 'culture' and 'colony'. It did not have negative connotations and was used to denote clubs and farmsteads.

-Crissa