Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
If and when these Puncture-proof airless tires come out into the market for all vehicles, will we now have endless police chases?

No more spike strips being effective?

Tesla Cybertruck Puncture-proof airless tire michelinchecks airless tire

Tesla Cybertruck Puncture-proof airless tire 187057main_spike4_330
Sponsored

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
At the moment, I don't believe the airless tires are stable at high speeds. Eventually they might be, but by then the cops might have access to technology or backdoors into modern vehicles that allows them to disable their computers remotely.

CybrTrkWdWk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor FSD
Occupation
Design, Woodworking
Country flag
These seemed really cool when I first saw these in a tire industry magazine about 20 years ago so don't hold your breath on getting a set. Either its a flawed design for regular cars or they don't actually want to make them because a lack of blowouts means fewer tires to sell.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
These seemed really cool when I first saw these in a tire industry magazine about 20 years ago so don't hold your breath on getting a set. Either its a flawed design for regular cars or they don't actually want to make them because a lack of blowouts means fewer tires to sell.
The market for them has been industrial use. I am thinking that they haven’t been commercially brought out because they are so unconventional and “ugly“. However, on the cyber truck these would be awesome.

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
However, on the cyber truck these would be awesome.
I've never been one to spend extra on the appearance of a vehicle. But this? Yeah, I'd spend for this. Totally badass.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I assume those airless tires are see through purely for demonstration purposes? A real one would have to have a sidewall, right? Otherwise you would have to clean out your tires in mud and snow constantly, or you would get severe imbalances.

I don't think the police having the ability to stop someones vehicle is a good idea. All technology can be hacked, and someone will use it to harm others.

Police chases have harmed way more people than they would save. They are just another manifestation of the toxic masculinity so prevalent in our society.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I assume those airless tires are see through purely for demonstration purposes? A real one would have to have a sidewall, right? Otherwise you would have to clean out your tires in mud and snow constantly, or you would get severe imbalances.
No. These are the production tires. No sidewall. Cleaning them out has not been an issue in industrial applications on skid loaders and Bob Cats. These tires have been in development well over a decade now. All of a sudden I see them everywhere when previously I had only read about them in Popular Mechanics and some car magazines.

They were originally brought out under a marketing name as the Tweel - tire and wheel.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
No. These are the production tires. No sidewall. Cleaning them out has not been an issue in industrial applications on skid loaders and Bob Cats. These tires have been in development well over a decade now. All of a sudden I see them everywhere when previously I had only read about them in Popular Mechanics and some car magazines.

They were originally brought out under a marketing name as the Tweel - tire and wheel.
Skid loaders and Bobcats don't go fast enough to worry about wheel imbalances. You have never had mud, snow, or ice stick to one side of your wheel and throw it out of balances before?

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Skid loaders and Bobcats don't go fast enough to worry about wheel imbalances. You have never had mud, snow, or ice stick to one side of your wheel and throw it out of balances before?
Not yet. Maybe just lucky.

Dewey

First Name
Dewey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy volt, Honda Pilot, MGB
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Michelin and GM are working on this together and plan to be commercially available for high speed not just turf / tractor tires by 2024

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
high speed police drones with technology to paint the bad guy's windows or inject some tranquilizer into the cab or perhaps a bomb to disable really bad hombres...

disabling/ or taking control of a vehicle is a better idea. When flight by vehicle is futile it will not be an option. But it could have some really useful applications: those multi-vehicle pileups in fog or blizzards. If vehicles knew what was happening a few miles ahead and slowed down it would be welcome by most folks.

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
As I recall, these clran them selves out fairly well when you hit a bump and they flex slighLy.
I would like to make the Cybertruck as invulnerable as possible.
I hope these are viable and affordabl.
Sponsored