Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Is it? The standard of 'take bed out' is because the bed has no enclosed storage, and offers no structure. The Cybertruck already has that.

...the Cybertruck is bare, structural steel and easy to add mounting to.

That is certainly true, though. You can almost double the bed space with a motorcycle-style low trailer and lose very little range. This behind a Bolt and you've lost basically no range (3.6 miles per kwh exceeding the towing limit by ten) https://www.timeouttrailers.org/XL-HD-p/xl_hd.htm

The amount of disturbed wake behind a Cybertruck is bound to be larger and allow more towing for nearly free.

Still, trailers require more space to store and manuever, and aren't great for 10-20' lengths to carry.

-Crissa
Sponsored

BTCyberTruck

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Country flag
For a work horse cybertruck, can we ask Elon for a roof rack ready design for our cybertruck. It is so important to be able to have a roof rack for a work horse contractor cybertruck.
I have a Toyota Tacoma and an F150. I use my Tacoma more because it has a lumber rack and I use it to haul long, 21' steal beams. I'd hate using my Toyota because the Cybertruck lacks functionality.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Just because the products don't exist today, doesn't mean they won't exist tomorrow.

That's a terrible argument against the Cybertruck.

The price per unit will have to come down, certainly, but that applies to all electric trucks. Their operating cost is already way below traditional trucks.

When the Cybertruck gets down to its base price level, it will be difficult to not choose it over an F-150.

-Crissa

And that Vanguard rack is just welded steel without any fancy shaped pieces. Take a saw to the front two legs and suddenly it fits the Cybertruck.

Thule already has racks for the Model Y. They'll have a crazy number once the Cybertruck has been out for three months. There will be a version of their raised racks, mounts to put their racks in the bed, racks just for the cab, etc. It will happen.

Last edited:

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Not to be a Tesla fanboy, but I disagree with this statement. Tesla knows this truck won't be a replacement for everyone, they just don't care. To be more specific, Elon Musk doesn't care. This is basically a project that is just to build an awesome truck, this is going to be a fun truck that is badass and cool. Tesla isn't after any specific market, Elon even said they did no market research; some people might not believe them, but look at the truck. I completely believe them when they say they did no market research to see what people want. Musk and his team pulled ideas out of cool old movie vehicles and smushed them together, adjusted the design a bit and pulled out the Cybertruck.

Sure the Cybertruck will be help a lot of people as a work truck, but I believe above all else, Tesla is just making fun, badass cars that are nice to drive and will eventually drive themselves. Like we are going to have trucks that will play snakejazz on external speakers, play video games with the actual steering wheel, and make it sound like people are farting with a turn signal. Elon even said that we will still eventually have the goat sounds as a horn option.

I love Tesla as a company and I hope they do well. I just don't think the Cybertruck will ever outsell Ford trucks in the next 20 years.

OP
OP
davidngo44

davidngo44

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cycberstruck
Occupation
Country flag
Not to be a Tesla fanboy, but I disagree with this statement. Tesla knows this truck won't be a replacement for everyone, they just don't care. To be more specific, Elon Musk doesn't care. This is basically a project that is just to build an awesome truck, this is going to be a fun truck that is badass and cool. Tesla isn't after any specific market, Elon even said they did no market research; some people might not believe them, but look at the truck. I completely believe them when they say they did no market research to see what people want. Musk and his team pulled ideas out of cool old movie vehicles and smushed them together, adjusted the design a bit and pulled out the Cybertruck.

Sure the Cybertruck will be help a lot of people as a work truck, but I believe above all else, Tesla is just making fun, badass cars that are nice to drive and will eventually drive themselves. Like we are going to have trucks that will play snakejazz on external speakers, play video games with the actual steering wheel, and make it sound like people are farting with a turn signal. Elon even said that we will still eventually have the goat sounds as a horn option.

I love Tesla as a company and I hope they do well. I just don't think the Cybertruck will ever outsell Ford trucks in the next 20 years.
Good points.... I guess, owning the CT is like taking a leaf of faith.... Hmm. I just have to find a way to use CT without the roof rack until some with come up with something for sure.....heck I forgot that regardless I still have the ICE truck on the side for a while . LOL.

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
Great conversations guys!

While the CT may or may not be compatible with drop-in roof racks (it's all speculation right now, maybe we should tweet Elon asking about it?), you have to remember that it also has a TON of built-in features that would be beneficial to sooo many trades, and those features are not widely known to many. These alone help reduce the amount of aftermarket contractor packages that need to be fitted.

For example, these are all confirmed:
Built in toolboxes in the rear wings
Fold out ramp in the tailgate
Fold up lip in the tailgate (mini tailgate)
Fold down extensions with pass through in cab from bed
220v outlet with 30+A output
Air compressor
Adjustable air suspension
Bed entry mode (rear lowers)
Frunk for additional tool storage
Additional hidden compartment in underside of bed (similar to M3/Y) for even more tool storage!
Modular rack-style bed (great for bolt-ons)
Sealable tonneau cover (extremely durable)
Air conditioned bed

The list goes on and on, there's definitely more to CT than meets the eye. And if you don't believe this would meet the needs of so many GC's and SC's in the market, than just look at the reservation count (over 1mil!!!). They get it, because adding the options and configs to their existing work trucks costs $$$ and the CT gives it all to them for free.

So yeah, you may or may not be able to haul 21' wood from a roof rack right away, but you can do a heck of a lot more with it than any truck could offer off the lot.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Great conversations guys!

While the CT may or may not be compatible with drop-in roof racks (it's all speculation right now, maybe we should tweet Elon asking about it?), you have to remember that it also has a TON of built-in features that would be beneficial to sooo many trades, and those features are not widely known to many. These alone help reduce the amount of aftermarket contractor packages that need to be fitted.

For example, these are all confirmed:
Built in toolboxes in the rear wings
Fold out ramp in the tailgate
Fold up lip in the tailgate (mini tailgate)
Fold down extensions with pass through in cab from bed
220v outlet with 30+A output
Air compressor
Adjustable air suspension
Bed entry mode (rear lowers)
Frunk for additional tool storage
Additional hidden compartment in underside of bed (similar to M3/Y) for even more tool storage!
Modular rack-style bed (great for bolt-ons)
Sealable tonneau cover (extremely durable)
Air conditioned bed

The list goes on and on, there's definitely more to CT than meets the eye. And if you don't believe this would meet the needs of so many GC's and SC's in the market, than just look at the reservation count (over 1mil!!!). They get it, because adding the options and configs to their existing work trucks costs $$$ and the CT gives it all to them for free.

So yeah, you may or may not be able to haul 21' wood from a roof rack right away, but you can do a heck of a lot more with it than any truck could offer off the lot.
Check out some of the videos riding in the Cybertruck. The night of the reveal they had lights on in the bed, also check out the slots in the bed. Most of us think those slots are T-slots that are used for temporary mounting anything including saws, clamps and dividers for work.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
You are absolutely correct. The Cybertruck has to have the capability to have a heavy duty ladder rack that can carry WEIGHT. That's a must for any contractor that needs a worktruck! You have to be able to put an extension ladder and long supplies on a roof rack or you don't have a fully functional work truck! Everything I've seen says the Cybertruck has connection points for a roof rack already built into it. Just for fun, I drew up a concept of a triangular roof rack, based on an idea that another member here "Newton" came up with. Triangular made with 3mm S.S. would go along with the design much better than round. And have much lower drag.
cybertrucksiderack.jpg
frontquarterack.jpg

tritubing.jpg
The forward mount point needs to hit at the point - top of the roof triangle, for maximum strength. peace

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The forward mount point needs to hit at the point - top of the roof triangle, for maximum strength. peace
Thanks for looking over my work and making a suggestion.
I have a high resolution image that shows the anchor points for the Cybertruck. I drew this roof rack based on those anchor points. Also, when you look at a side view, those anchor points make sense. Because they are located on the B pillar between the doors and the C pillar at the end of the back door. So structurally they could hold more weight there.
Your thinking make sense too, because at the peak of the roof/ top of the triangle is usually a strong point. However, the front window is below that point, so probably less support.
BTW, this was just drawn up for fun. I don't have the ability to create that rack. It was a fun thought/graphic exercise.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Absolutely, YESSSSSSSSSS it can be an excellent work truck.

Besides the tow rating, the Cybertruck payload of 3,500 lbs would be huge for just a dad occasionally pickup.

That kind of payload would be used everyday in contractor or installer trucks.

Also
1. all the power outlets in the bed (120V & 240V) that can run a welder
2. compressor to run pneumatic tools (few home owners ever had these)
3. Seating for crew of 6 & protected storage in vault of all their gear.

Cybertruck is going to be one the rare things we see in the world. Like Swiss army knife.
Jack of all trades and master of many.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Absolutely, YESSSSSSSSSS it can be an excellent work truck.

Besides the tow rating, the Cybertruck payload of 3,500 lbs would be huge for just a dad occasionally pickup.

That kind of payload would be used everyday in contractor or installer trucks.

Also
1. all the power outlets in the bed (120V & 240V) that can run a welder
2. compressor to run pneumatic tools (few home owners ever had these)
3. Seating for crew of 6 & protected storage in vault of all their gear.

Cybertruck is going to be one the rare things we see in the world. Like Swiss army knife.
Jack of all trades and master of many.
It's funny, very few people seem to realize what a great truck the Single motor will be for $39,900. I hadn't thought about it until recently, how it will be lighter and have good power with all the weight down low and placed perfectly so unlike all other trucks it won't be light in the rear end. Plus, all the benefits you mentioned and a very low cost of ownership. Also work trucks generally don't need the range, people don't take there company work trucks on a road trip.
Sponsored