cyberforce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
This thread reinforces my thoughts on Tesla and the CT/M3...

1st - FSD is a waste of money to me... I actually like driving and the free Autopilot features is what I would use the most.

2nd - I've always loved the idea and concept of leases... I'll likely lease my CT and see where it is in 3 years. If I like it still and there are no huge changes I might buy it, if not Elon can have it back.

3rd - If I bought a 2018-2020 M3 I'd be kinda pissed too... But I also understand as fast as this company is changing and growing, these things are bound to happen.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
The Model S now starts at $69,480, the Y just received a range increase and the Model 3 just received some significant upgrades. October builds are now classified at 2021 models for the first time in Tesla history. 3’s are getting dual pane glass to reduce interior noise, Octovalve heat pump, power trunk lid, chrome delete, new wheel options, etc.

My point is that improvements never stop at Tesla. I am sure a CT assembled in 2024 will have significant improvements over the first batch of production in late 2021.

Last edited:

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
OP

you were an early adopter, it is common they get "screwed". When VCRs first came out they were around $1K, now they are giving them away

Elon's goal is to make BEVs affordable and main stream they will only get cheaper.

In the past I have leased Tesla's , have not bought due to how fast they lose value

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mercedes Sprinter 2500
Occupation
Retired surgical oncologist
Country flag
We'll have to experience the actual sales price of a CT trimotor when it becomes available. By then you’ll have the option of buying the latest S,X or Y instead at possibly a lower price. Don’t forget the rule that new cars typically depreciate 30% as soon as you drive them off the lot, especially if you paid too much for it based on comparable market prices.

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
If we accomplish to buy the Cybertrucks at the announced prices and features, I promise you the depreciation will be very slow. Actually prices for the CT might increase in the future for anyone not holding a reservation, at least for FSD part it already did.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
My take is this; EV value propositions are not 1 to 1 with ICE vehicles.

In my case I'm going to be replacing a work truck that gets a measly 17mpg and I drive it an average of 100 miles a work day. Add in maintenance, tires, brakes and such and that factors up to costing me about $15000 a year. I own the beast, but it's still nothing to sneer at when you consider it will only get more expensive as time goes on.

Once the CT takes over my cost to operate plummets and by my estimate it'll cost about $2500 a year before the loan, which I've calculated to be about $7800 a year for 5 years with the amount I plan to put down and take advantage of from state incentives. So once that's paid off my annual cost goes from ~$10500 to that $2500 a year.

So if I never upgrade my f350 it'll be $150000 to drive that beast for a decade. Compare that to my CT at $65000 plus the $20k I plan to put down and it's $65000 less, enough savings to buy another cybertruck if I want.

That's the value right there and the longer I drive it the more I save. That's the way you need to look at these things. Maybe you can flip the car after and of you're smart that money you save can even go towards an upgrade in the future. Comparing straight resale value just isn't a worthwhile metric for EV to ICE cars.

Last edited:

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
If you want a steady, consistent product don't be an early adopter. Remember when a 50" plasma tv cost $15k? At this point, although Tesla isn't brand new, it's still very new, so don't get hurt by changing technology specs and prices. its inevitable at this stage.

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I myself drive my vehicles until the wheels fall off so its not such a huge concern to me but I am also the minority...
My Toyota Tacoma will be 11 years old this January. I plan to drive the CT for at least as long. :) I like the argument of considering it an investment for the life of the vehicle as well. There is virtually 0 competition for FSD right now, so I hope that as other auto makers (hopefully - slim as it may be) pick up on the benefits & popular desire for FSD the overall price will start to trend down.

I doubt Ford/GM/Fiat Chrysler will do much, since they're laggards currently getting their butts disrupted, but I would like to see Rivian, Lucid, et al, get into the FSD game.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
In my area, people are finding it hard to sell used SUVs over a certain age/mileage combination. And over the last 5 years, how old the vehicle is and the mileage considered acceptable has dropped.

10 years ago, I saw over 10 year old SUVs for sale at lots and they were selling. Now (the last year), none of them are over 8 years old and they are sitting on lots and people's yards collecting dust & rust (even before COVID).

As more people want BEVs, the less resale value any ICE will have, except for collectables. That means the current formula for depreciation will have to be adjusted frequently. I would say by 2025, if most of these other companies (Lucid, Rivian, and legacy manufacturers) get their models to market, It will be hard to sell any non-collectable ICE vehicle, except for a few niches.
Sponsored