First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
Is anyone concerned that the windows do not have a frame around them when the doors are open...?
Sponsored

OP
OP

CWiley

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
Tesla likes to skip that part.

Just don't slam your doors open or closed, and you've actually got fewer parts. ^-^

-Crissa
I guess...I know a lot of guys that like to lean in on the door frame when it is open. Hopefully this won't become a problem. I hate it when the window gets off track and falls down into the door!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I don't think I've ever had that happen... I've heard of it, seen it in a couple used cars I looked at, but...

-Crissa

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
I had a few cars with no window frames, Triumph spitfire I really liked that car. You would think it would leak water around the windows during a hard rain but it didn't. I never did learn to stay away from english cars, I still own one but not a sports car getting out of one is like getting off the floor.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I much prefer the look of frameless doors. I'm glad Tesla does this.
Until this thread I had not noticed. That is how much impact it has had on our Model 3 functionality. The one thing I have noticed is that the window comes down a bit to get in the car, and clearly, now that I think about it, that is a direct result of not having a door frame.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
never did learn to stay away from english cars,
Ah yes, the fond memories of pouring boiling water over the carburators on cold winter mornings!

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
I have this on both my 2013 Model S as well as my 06 BMW Z4. The BMW does leak water a little bit, but it is also a soft top and the rubber seals are 14 years old, so no surprise there (i dont drive it in the rain anyway). The Model S has no issues with the seal. Only thing of note it that when it is really windy, you can sometimes get a bit of a whistle from the wind combined with highway speed.

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
Ah yes, the fond memories of pouring boiling water over the carburators on cold winter mornings!
I never experienced that but that's new one for me...my 1966 would always start, I thought the SU carbs were very simple. My electrical system was designed by the prince of darkness, Lucas. Many times during a night drive the lights would go off, I would toggle the switch which did not help and then lights came back. Now today I could easily resolve the issue but it gave me many stories and memories.

craz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It’s probably not the most durable choice for a work truck but it’s what Tesla does, for better or worse.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I never experienced that but that's new one for me...my 1966 would always start,
This was pretty cold. Upstate NY in winter.

I thought the SU carbs were very simple.
They were. So simple that they needed to be retuned every time the weather changed!

My electrical system was designed by the prince of darkness, Lucas.
Ah yes. I remember many years ago someone had put a Harrier engine on display in a shopping mall. As I approached the first thing I noticed was that this engine had a Lucas fuel pump. I wonder how many Marines lost their lives because of that.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
I really don't see the point of a frame around your window. You then have two seals to fail in your door opening instead of one.

CybrTrkWdWk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor FSD
Occupation
Design, Woodworking
Country flag
I had a 1986 Camaro with no window frames. It was one of the few things on it that wasn't an issue ?

I wonder if the CT will have dual pane windows that Tesla seems to be using more lately...
Sponsored