Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
So I was looking at the Teslarati site and an advert came up for a hovercraft! I've always wanted to try out a hovercraft and they seem like they would be fun to ride if one had access to enough open land. But whenever I see a video of one they seem to be inordinately LOUD! What's that? Did you say LOUD? YES!!!!

It might be fun to have an EHC (Electric Hover Craft). Tow it behind the CT to get somewhere fun and then ride around for a while. Full electric should be much quieter. Not quiet mind you because of the huge fan involved. And of course, if the majority of the sound is actually just from the fan then I take this all back. But if the sound was reasonable for an electric hovercraft, I'd like to at least try one out.

So I did a search, I did, and found this hovercraft. Clearly not a production model that could be purchased but also clear that I'm not the only one thinking about an EHC.
Sponsored

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
ooo00 a hovercraft, every 13 year olds best science project.

that being said, they are very cool. Another opportunity to make it better via electrifying

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
More practical than sinking into a soft surface, though.

-Crissa
Not practical from a noise standpoint. In most cases an airboat would beat a hovercraft, assuming there is some water. I have always loved airboats and hovercraft so my notion of practical is probably somewhat outside the mainstream.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Airboats fail anywhere sediment bars can block the way, and are beat in speed and maneuverability by jetboats anywhere with less grass or seaweed.

-Crissa

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
If you want to carry something fun, I suggest Paramotors. If you have to go electric, there are companies like Exomo that are taking a stab at it but I don’t believe they are quite there yet.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I've been watching electric paramotors. I have my own paraglider that I used to fly. At this age though foot launch is a bit iffy. So I'm looking to get an electric trike. Right at the moment there are electric systems but the flight time is pretty short. I'm hoping that once batteries like Tesla's 4280 get out into wider distribution that the flight times will increase considerably.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I've ridden in a sailplane once. It was near Las Vegas though and the high temp in the cabin before the tow take-off nearly made me sick so the rest of the flight was a bit tedious.

Are there electric powered sailplanes that are any good yet? I'm guessing that the batteries are still too heavy for self-launch to a good altitude. But it would be nice to try that out.

I do see a jet engine powered one.

And a solar-powered one!! And a 6-seat solar transporter.

Hopefully by the time I have money enough to get into flight full-electric flight will be a thing.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Airboats fail anywhere sediment bars can block the way, and are beat in speed and maneuverability by jetboats anywhere with less grass or seaweed.

-Crissa
I have a jet boat and I would never take it where an airboat reins. But I wasn’t talking about where a particular craft is the best option; I was talking about noise. Any kind of boat except an airboat will make almost no noise compared to a hovercraft, and an airboat can do well in some of the same conditions that a hovercraft would for about the same noise. The hovercraft can get over land mass but you have to be careful where you take them. Anyway, we are way off topic...

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I have done that as a passenger and it was definitely fun (especially the dive we did before landing) and probably safer and more convenient as you pointed out. I have done a bit of flying in single engine Cessna and have to admit the lack of engine noise In gliders are sweet. However you Can’t put a glider in the back of your CT, take off virtually from anywhere and climb independently. And gliders are more expensive hobbies than paramotors (excluding the cost of surgery after crash).