CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
So I am hearing landscaping and snow. Snow I'm sure would definitely need a Dual version. Landscaping would not need 4x4 but need lots to tow the dirt away so that may be a Tri motor. Others were logistics so this are Van's not trucks.
Please let me know if I'm missing anything on why a company would use a single motor version. I'm trying to learn not be an a$$. The "want if's" or "so many" I cannot compute thus I ask for data.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
So I am hearing landscaping and snow. Snow I'm sure would definitely need a Dual version. Landscaping would not need 4x4 but need lots to tow the dirt away so that may be a Tri motor. Others were logistics so this are Van's not trucks.
That vast majority of fleet trucks don't tow, aren't 4x4. They carry a crew and or a few tools to a series of locations within short range of the depot, or are used in an average commute. Which is, as we're discussed many times, 16 miles a day, which means a Cybertruck could do that all week without charging.

-Crissa

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
Please let me know if I'm missing anything on why a company would use a single motor version. I'm trying to learn not be an a$$. The "want if's" or "so many" I cannot compute thus I ask for data.
The extent of my professional expertise here is, for 5 years, I did audience profiling and marketing for a company that did significant fleet truck sales (GM Fleet), with a focus on companies that owned 250+ vehicles in their fleets.

I can tell you with absolute confidence that there is one metric that drives the vast majority of fleet vehicle sales - TCO. It is "minimum viable product" for the cheapest possible TCO. If there is a $10k difference between single and dual, and single performs the job needed, the fleet buyers will go with the single motor 100% of the time.

Now it comes down to that MVP and if they feel single motor is sufficient. The fleet owners would have to analyze critical need vs. occasional need, and will likely end up with a buy order of a mix of vehicles. Single motor units would likely fill the lowest-TCO need for many applications, but not all.

TCO is also a not-straight-forward calculation. It's not as simple as initial capex + fuel/maint, there are formulas that consider usability, time-in-field/worker efficiency, reliability with regards to lost work time due to equipment failure, etc. It's a big calculation.

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
When you guys and gals say Fleet, what do you mean?
Think Lee company, every plumbing or pest control franchise, U-haul etc. Pretty much anytime you see a branded white work truck with big company logos, it’s being deployed as part of a larger “fleet” of company owned vehicles. Cybertruck stands to compete with the big three for those contracts, and offers benefits like lockable bed storage standard, much lower fuel costs, no oil changes/fluid swaps to manage etc. If you think about EV’s for “last mile delivery”, the fuel costs are an enormous savings and they rarely drive over 150 miles a day so range is a non factor.

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
Think Lee company, every plumbing or pest control franchise, U-haul etc. Pretty much anytime you see a branded white work truck with big company logos, it’s being deployed as part of a larger “fleet” of company owned vehicles. Cybertruck stands to compete with the big three for those contracts, and offers benefits like lockable bed storage standard, much lower fuel costs, no oil changes/fluid swaps to manage etc. If you think about EV’s for “last mile delivery”, the fuel costs are an enormous savings and they rarely drive over 150 miles a day so range is a non factor.
Agree, and I'll add the largest owners of truck-based fleets in the US are mostly utility and waste companies:

ATT
Comcast
Time Warner
Quanta
Crop Production Services Inc

etc etc etc.

ATT alone owns ~25k pickup trucks, and another 20k or so utility vans.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Of all those trucks how many are as large as the CT? Although there are bigger trucks of the same one they usually are the smaller version. Besides the price of a smaller vs a bigger. It's easier to use a smaller when going to customers location. I could see many companies experiment with a few CT but ultimately may get a smaller Wolverine version. Looking at current car rental companies in my area, 1 Enterprise has 1 model S, no other big company has any other Tesla.. I believe that Tesla had a different price if your buying for company vs personal. All I'm saying is I'm looking at this from a perspective of not getting attached to anything until it is here. We have to look at it from all aspects. Again look at history, SX first that are luxury than 3Y that are more economical. CT more luxurious, wolverine (insert name of smaller version here) more economical.

The new smaller Tesla is going through the China approval process. I see small car fleets looking for those versus M3 due to cost and range needed for many companies.

CT guy has his own company that needs large and heavy duty Trucks, and he is the owner of his own company. Makes sense for him to get CT as he knows and it fits his needs. Others like mentioned buying 25k+ trucks may buy some CT but the rest something smaller and more importantly cheaper..

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Of all those trucks how many are as large as the CT?
Most. Availability of smaller trucks is lower and the business deductions have historically favored the larger ones. And the Ford F150 is the most popular truck mostly due to these fleet sales. Ford sells about one Ranger for every F150.

-Crissa

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
Of all those trucks how many are as large as the CT? Although there are bigger trucks of the same one they usually are the smaller version. Besides the price of a smaller vs a bigger. It's easier to use a smaller when going to customers location. I could see many companies experiment with a few CT but ultimately may get a smaller Wolverine version. Looking at current car rental companies in my area, 1 Enterprise has 1 model S, no other big company has any other Tesla.. I believe that Tesla had a different price if your buying for company vs personal. All I'm saying is I'm looking at this from a perspective of not getting attached to anything until it is here. We have to look at it from all aspects. Again look at history, SX first that are luxury than 3Y that are more economical. CT more luxurious, wolverine (insert name of smaller version here) more economical.

The new smaller Tesla is going through the China approval process. I see small car fleets looking for those versus M3 due to cost and range needed for many companies.

CT guy has his own company that needs large and heavy duty Trucks, and he is the owner of his own company. Makes sense for him to get CT as he knows and it fits his needs. Others like mentioned buying 25k+ trucks may buy some CT but the rest something smaller and more importantly cheaper..
The most commonly purchased fleet pickup is the "entry" line from the OEM. F150, Ram 1500, GMC 1500.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
That vast majority of fleet trucks don't tow, aren't 4x4. They carry a crew and or a few tools to a series of locations within short range of the depot, or are used in an average commute. Which is, as we're discussed many times, 16 miles a day, which means a Cybertruck could do that all week without charging.

-Crissa
Maybe in Santa Cruz, but in places with snow, the majority of fleet trucks are 4x4.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe in Santa Cruz, but in places with snow, the majority of fleet trucks are 4x4.
Maybe you think I was talking about Santa Cruz, but you would be wrong.

They majority of Forest Service trucks aren't 4x4s, as an example. And you don't need 4x4 for the majority of travel.

-Crissa

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag

the CT isn't a large truck.....its just bigger than a Prius.

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
@cary1219
I would be VERY happy with a port to hook my own solar panels to. While camping off grid, would be nice to trickle charge the battery for all that physics will allow.
Your wish has been granted allready.....
since there will be power outlets 220V / 110V.
(For EU I would like to see a 3Phase 16A socket for big power tools.)

They just have to work both ways and you should use direct modul converters (Envertec or Hoymiles (HMT 2250 is even a 3 Phase Version for up to 6 big modules and the power output can be set 0-100% via software using WiFi).

The smal losses, due to transforming the power twice, is IMHO offset by the increased safety, simple plug and play and multiple mppts.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Maybe you think I was talking about Santa Cruz, but you would be wrong.

They majority of Forest Service trucks aren't 4x4s, as an example. And you don't need 4x4 for the majority of travel.

-Crissa
Maybe the majority of forest service trucks in Santa Cruz are 2 wheel drive, but I have never seen a 2 wheel drive forest service truck in the mountains of Colorado.
Sponsored