Yoke Steering Wheel in S, X Cybertruck. NHTSA says, ‘What you talking ‘bout, Elon?!”

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
I seriously doubt joysticks will ever be a think for cars. The input is too sloppy compared to the maneuvers you'll want to do. Plotting a course on a touch screen would be far better integration to the AI.

-Crissa
That's not what the Blue Angels think :)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That's not what the Blue Angels think :)
The Blue Angels don't use joysticks to trim their aileron. Nor do they do three point turns only with the collective. They have pedals and trim dials and even then, they wouldn't be able to run their planes down the Dragon's Tail.

-Crissa

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
I can imagine the Volkswagen Group spending millions in Brussels EU HQ these days on “truck safety” to make sure the Cybertruck narrowly does not pass EU regulations while perhaps their own future electric Amarok will. I can see why Tesla wouldn’t bother with that when the main truck market is at home anyway. Of course I hope I’m wrong and that the EU bodies stay sane. I’m getting one anyway. It’s not like they will be able to stop or catch up to my unregistered CT on the road or off-road.? I could keep it up the valley at the closest small railroad station to the cabin. Anyway, rambling, I hope we’ll keep cheering on each other’s EV tech rather than protect car markets like we used to.

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
The Blue Angels don't use joysticks to trim their aileron. Nor do they do three point turns only with the collective. They have pedals and trim dials and even then, they wouldn't be able to run their planes down the Dragon's Tail.

-Crissa
Well you're right about that, since I don't think they have ever done three-point turns in their routine and they have never had a collective since they, uh, fly jets, not helos.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well you're right about that, since I don't think they have ever done three-point turns in their routine and they have never had a collective since they, uh, fly jets, not helos.
The stick in a modern military aircraft is always a collective because it's fly-by-wire and controls multiple variables at once. These aren't barn-stormers.

I might be coming at this from an engineering point of view, I went to school for aeronautical engineering, not aeronautics. That was my roommate (who had the habit of killing my alarm, darnit.)

-Crissa

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
The stick in a modern military aircraft is always a collective because it's fly-by-wire and controls multiple variables at once. These aren't barn-stormers.

I might be coming at this from an engineering point of view, I went to school for aeronautical engineering, not aeronautics. That was my roommate (who had the habit of killing my alarm, darnit.)

-Crissa
The stick in a rotary wing aircraft is almost always a collective. [EDIT - the control stick is a cyclic, the "throttle stick" is the collective.] The stick in a fixed-wing aircraft (modern fly-by-wire or not) is never referred to as a collective. At least not in any of the couple of hundred different types that I've flown.

Last edited:

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The stick in a rotary wing aircraft is almost always a collective. The stick in a fixed-wing aircraft (modern fly-by-wire or not) is never referred to as a collective. At least not in any of the couple of hundred different types that I've flown.
I flew for over 20 years in the Marine Corps....A6, F4, OV-10, A4 and C-12....I never had the opportunity to find the collective.....I just had issues with ordnance putting my bombs on backwards......we did zero G hi-loft bomb delivery......?

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Speaking of «collective»; That was an interesting and wholesome *collective* short explanation for someone not versed in aero at all. I’m in trains and there’s barely a throttle. ? Cheers, Cybercollective ?

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
Yes, I really have to think about what left and right stick does if I haven't flown my drone for awhile but I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't expect the CT to bank! If you were replacing a steering wheel with a steer-by-wire joystick, then that stick could be more like a space shuttle rotational hand controller where you twist for a flat turn.

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
Speaking of «collective»; That was an interesting and wholesome *collective* short explanation for someone not versed in aero at all. I’m in trains and there’s barely a throttle. ? Cheers, Cybercollective ?
Oh yeah, now get us all on a throttle discussion!
Sponsored