Thanh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord Hybrid, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
Country flag
Wow. I thought maybe I'd disagree with you guys, but...

...Everything he says is totally meaningless. Completely.

Has he never found a crystal in nature?

He specifically picked warm photos vs cold ones and then said more things which were gibberish.

And then he runs a TV ad for a car that doesn't exist.

He uses the word 'nature' when he means 'organic' and...

...Why does he compare it to sedans? Every word he uses to be negative about the Cybertruck - protective, hard, monolith - are words you want for something meant to do a job.

Gibberish. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that you can not see the beauty in a crystalline or protective or durable form is ahh... Well. Show badly upon him.

What cars has he designed?

-Crissa
That's almost my exact thoughts. It's one of those times where somebody says that "you should not eat bacon because it is not healthy". I am not eating it for health, health is not the only reason why you eat. From my perspective, he totally missed the point, and he took months thinking about it. I want something that is protective, hard, and monolithic because I'll need it in the backcountry.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
That's almost my exact thoughts. It one of those time where somebody say that "you should not eat bacon because it is not healthy". I am not eating it for health, health is not the only reason why you eat. From my perspective, he totally missed the point, and he took months thinking about it. I want something that is protective, hard, and monolithic because I'll need it in the backcountry.
It took him months to put it in a way ā€˜his worldā€™ would understand and appreciate. He wasnā€™t speaking to anyone else despite who he addressed his remarks to.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Youtube designer dude, Frank Stephenson, trolls cybertruck after launch. Waits a year, trolls again. @Delusional nails Designer Dude dead to rights. But an answer in kind teaches ā€medium is the messageā€ as Cybertruck Truck Guy Youtube video-deconstructs the troll fallacies and its breaks with reality. Its a performance piece of debate rhetoric meet evidence based fact.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Firstly lets define a couple of benchmarks ,and one that is the issue that is at the heart of Frankā€™s criticism.

The Cybertruck's Success will be defined by Sales Demand.
The Designers focus is Aesthetics, after desired minimum function is included. ie. Is it Ugly or Not.
Will it Date quickly.

Form firstly and definitely follows function, but there are many examples and reasons which change the orientation around, and taken to the ends of the argument, it becomes a philosophical question.

The Cybertruck is exceedingly successful at its function.

But absolutely designers have a big role to play, make huge difference in what final form looks like, in achieving a number of objectives. Including aesthetically pleasing, aesthetically attractive, aesthetically interesting.

Case in point , is the 2021, F150 giving customers 15 options for a front Grille !

The Cybertruck will be a success because it will sell ! Big demand exists for it. Period.
Thats not in question.

But apparently some peoples response here is laughably, I donā€™t care how ugly it is !!

The question of how ugly or not it is, and specifically will it date quickly, is the focus of Franksā€™s criticism,

( and it is an absolutely a valid consideration / concern )

And by extension will that have a bearing on its demand. Meaning its success, not just now, but into the future.

I would suggest No. Its cost effective utility value is so great, that the marks it loses for being plain and simple, in my opinion is not sufficient.

But I definitely donā€™t think its ugly, ( but have many friends who think its horrific )
although I can see how it could be better,
if it wasnā€™t for that two edged sword that is the 3mm thick S/S panels.

Itā€™s so exceedingly successful at it function, and so cost effective, that it will continue to sell in sufficient demand.

What I would love to see is, how would Frank design it, if he ignored the exoskeleton reality, and assumed 0.7mm mild steel panels ? (putting aside for the minute, that its the exoskeleton intrinsically that gives the Cybertruck its phenomenal utility value.)

Then take that design, and show me how much of it he could keep, and what changes would have to be made, given it would be, not negotiable, made from 3mm thick cold rolled stainless Steel.
( maybe the doors, bonnet, side windows could be thinner)

Now that would be intriguing to see.

Perhaps 10 years from now there's 2 types of Cybertruck, one that has the cheapest form to make, and one that's more expensive, but far more visually attractive and interesting.
Just like Franks perfect analogy about how 1st generation Playstation was a revelation and a huge success, but later generations by comparison proved the first generation was excellent in its scope but quite primitive in its execution.
( But no less entitled to its accolades at the time of release)

If any one understands this its Elon, who's big on iterations, iterations, iterations, evolved improvements.
Hence why we are already awaiting the many small improvements he's announced we'll see !
Any day now !
what I find amusing is the concern what other people might think about it..... I don't care if someone thinks my CT is ugly.... it's mine, not theirs. Same reason I'm not concerned what their spouse looks like.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
what I find amusing is the concern what other people might think about it..... I don't care if someone thinks my CT is ugly.... it's mine, not theirs. Same reason I'm not concerned what their spouse looks like.
WELLā€¦. Iā€™d be concerned if I turned to find that the cutie Iā€™ve been talking to was married to someone quite resembling The Hulk.

WFrazier

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck preorder
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
  1. I like the cybertruck for its capabilities, not because it looks like I can give it a hug.
  2. I feel that the cyber truck is making a statement instead of blending into the world where every new car is curvy. I feel like the cybertruck will be a collectors item, because of it's unique appearance.
  3. The man in the video portrays some impractical future where things are always pretty and seductive. This idea of a future is just a lie, a comparison to fool people into ignoring the radiant beauty of the world that exists now.

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
Thats what they said about the Model T......
it took several decades until they became valuable collectables. ?
Sponsored