QUESTION FOR THE BRAINIACS...

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
No.

You cannot "flat tow" a Tesla behind an RV.
If you're bent on having the CT be a towee rather than a tower, you could get a 2-axle trailer to carry it. You could solar-panel the floor except for the CT's wheel paths, or the roof of an enclosed one.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
You won't be able to two-wheel tow the Cybertruck, either. Tow mode is only for short distances.

https://rechargd.com/towing-tesla-model-3/

They might enable flat towing. There's always hope.

-Crissa
I'm not replying to the original question, I don't think I'm a brainiac. ?
However, I do feel Tesla needs to realize the importance of being able to tow The Cybertuck. I watch tons of YouTube videos on off-road recovery. It is essential to have the ability to tow and have recovery points for any vehicle taken off-road. I plan on taking my Cybertruck lots of places where it would be virtually impossible for a tow truck to access. Sure The Cybertruck should be very capable, but shit happens and you have to plan for that possibility. Here's a video from last week when things got challenging.

OP
OP

ExcessOilCo

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Explorer, 2007 HHR
Occupation
Inventor
Country flag
Assuming you were going to do this, you'd create a special plug and tie into the wiring elsewhere.

Dragging an EV to tow it is just a dumb idea. At worst, you're wasting gas. At best, you're gaining a couple percent as you normally use linked brakes.

-Crissa
Agree and regret if I forgot to add the caveat, "If on the way to a location where no other charging were available" which I had thought I had said. Thank you, JR

Riptide

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps
Country flag
I have a CT on order and may be about to buy a Super C Class RV (mid size diesel chassis) that can tow 15,000 lbs. I want to boon dock so may be away from chargers and love CT as large onboard battery can provide power off grid to the RV.

Question: While towing can I 'activate' the CT so that towing behind the RV recharges CT batteries through very mild re-gen?

Ultimately may add enough PV to do the job but in the meantime I wonder.

Thanks in advance,

Jay
(Maybe) fun trivia:

Boondock is one word. It comes from the Tagalog word, bundok, meaning mountains. In WWII, the American soldiers in the Phillipines picked up on this word and started calling their boots "bookdockers" - which is where the word comes from.

Have a great week!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yes, but boonies is an Americanism.

US soldiers occupied the Philippines since the Spanish-American war in 1898, so it's been a part of English for a long time.

-Crissa

Allan Tupper

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kona ev
Occupation
Professional driver
Country flag
Currently Tesla does not support a mode where you can tow one of their vehicles on it's own 4 wheels. There's a "Tow Mode" that can be activated temporarily to disable the parking brake and put the vehicle in the equivalent of neutral in order to winch it onto a flatbed. The "Tow Mode" is only active for a few minutes and only allows the Tesla to roll at a very slow speed. If the time runs out or the car rolls faster than the limit, the parking brake will be re-applied.

We don't know yet if Cybertruck will be different. Hopefully Tesla can see that people want the option and figure out a way to make it happen without increasing wear and tear to the drive units or battery pack.
It would be cool to use the downhill regen for holdback

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
Here's a newer video where a guy tests out tire charging his Tesla Model S on the freeway at 70 MPH. It charges at a constant 65 kW.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I have to say that I don't see why it matters so much to Tesla whether the force moving the car forward comes from m*g*sin(theta) or that tow hook. But it is pretty clear that they consider it a very big deal.