Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
I think that is Vehicle to Home (act a as a backup generator and disconnect home from power grid while feeding power into the home) not Vehicle to Grid (sell power back to utility company) ...but then Tesla has this technology but refuses to do it.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Ford just announced their new F-150 Lighting. The biggest takeaway for me was being able to power your home for 3 to 10 days.
Not with that tiny cable they showed! you may get SOME power out of it, but you're not going to be running the (electric) dryer, etc.

Also, it's not just a matter of reversing the power. You also need a cutoff to isolate your house from the grid so you aren't powering the lines while they work on them. For power walls this is called a gateway, so you'll also need to pay to have that installed as well. I'm guessing the V2H will only work when plugged into a gateway type box like this.

Outlaw1

First Name
RS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Chevy Colorado, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Not an electrician, but I did my research and had this installed professionally.

How do you not kill a lineman... a Hold down breaker/mechanical interlock does that. It goes over the main circuit breaker and the backfeed circuit breaker for the inlet (not outlet) that can feed the panel. The inlet is the connection where the truck or generator plugs into to feed the home.

The interlock makes sure that the only way the back feed breaker can be switched on is if the main breaker is switched off. This way no power is backfeeding into the grid. I have this working now to back feed a generator to power my home in a power outage. Works fine. The connection to feed power to the home is actually a power inlet...not an outlet. Requires a different cable than your standard to charge your car or plug in any device. In my setup the inlet is a male and the cord that plugs into it is a locking female. This is the opposite of your standard outlet and power cord.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It would require a cut-off switch, yes. That would be the mystery box that you need to buy separately.

By default, you can just take your house off the grid by pulling the main breaker. And you can have these things operate automatically.

-Crissa

CyberRich

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 FS CT AWD, 2019 M3, 2018 M3, 2015 MS 70D
Country flag
Aside from the complex hookups duly noted above, does anyone really believe that tiny battery is gonna power your house for 3 days??? What are the limitations? Only power a few small devices? No doubt you’ll have to buy the maximum battery size at $90,000 to get anything close to their claims. I call total BS on this feature claim.

TokyoBear

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, Nissan e-NV200 and Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
Nissan has had this system for more than 10 years now over here in Japan. It works great, but should really only be used for emergencies. Some people over here used it daily to reduce their electric bill by charging at a quick charger (This is when it was basically free, but Nissan has since changed their charging policies.) and then powering their home during the peak rates of the day. An unexpected consequence was extreme heating of the traction battery in the Leaf due to no active cooling and so the battery's life was significantly reduced. It is a great way however of getting around Japan's strict laws about storing electricity especially if you have solar panels on your house.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Aside from the complex hookups duly noted above, does anyone really believe that tiny battery is gonna power your house for 3 days??? What are the limitations? Only power a few small devices? No doubt you’ll have to buy the maximum battery size at $90,000 to get anything close to their claims. I call total BS on this feature claim.
How much electricity does your house use every day?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Ford just announced their new F-150 Lighting. The biggest takeaway for me was being able to power your home for 3 to 10 days.
<SNIP>
Lightning V2H pokes at the electric Cybertruck glaring omission with respect in the same small way Cybertruck dragged FORD’s F-150 around like a rag doll. Fair game.

FORD brought to the launch arena its biggest weapon. One indisputable fact, with all due respect, one that FORD builds better than its pickups - American jobs for workers. Nice play!

The takeaway; FORD is for the workingman, built tough, made for working and a jobsite pickup a workingman can afford - its “always4x4“ priced below $40,000.00

That “always4x4“ marketing-speak brilliantly bonded an idea of mechanical 4x4 gearheads are loyal, to its new electrified F-150. Smart move

Did FORD keep pure 4x4? Did they keep it mechanical driven? Will it even matter?

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
That “always4x4“ marketing-speak brilliantly bonded an idea of mechanical 4x4 gearheads are loyal, to its new electrified F-150. Smart move

Did FORD keep pure 4x4? Did they keep it mechanical driven? Will it even matter?
Last thing I want going down the highway is 4WD, unless its snowing. Somehow I doubt they meant hub motors.

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag

E0319F05-6004-4636-8C66-C67082E1DB5C.jpeg

43BF91EB-4A33-4540-A890-E7F0ECD21611.jpeg
I was extremely impressed with this as well. All in all good vehicle from Ford, and we have to thank Tesla for the pricing. 100% chance the base price is over 40k if cybertruck hadn’t announced theirs first.

OP
OP
Carlos Thomas

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I think the Tesla engineers have some thinking to do when it comes to the competition
  • Ford V2H Charging is a game changer
  • Rivian tow charging is a game changer
  • Rivian has the tank turn
  • Hummer has the crab walk
I think the crab walk & tank turn are a gimmick, but the V2H Charging and the Tow Charging are both features Tesla could offer with “minimal effort”. I know Tesla monitors this forum. Hopefully they already have plans to check these two boxes with the CyberTruck.

My overall take away I kept playing in my mind is that: “If you want the CyberTruck performance, you have to be willing to pay less.” Rivian, Chevorlet and Ford all fall short on Range, Towing, Payload, Passenger Capacity, Charging Network and Price. With that being said, there is no reason those companies should be able to out innovate Tesla.
Sponsored

Last edited: