Door handle issue

1ofafew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor
Country flag
Anyone own an older Model S or X, and have had an issue with the recessed door handle not extending to open? Happened today and already set up a repair appointment. Thought it was cool at first to have the handles recessed for a sleeker look, but now would prefer something different on the CT. Anyone know if the CT’s handles will be like this, or like the later model cars that you push one end and it extends manually?
Sponsored

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
@JubanMohamed
·
Mar 25, 2021
Would be bad ass if @elonmusk had a little bit of time on his hand to maybe tease us with CyberTruck stuff #Tesla #CyberTruck
Tesla Cybertruck Door handle issue GtcBa0YQ_x96
Elon Musk
@elonmusk

There will be no handles
6:13 AM · Mar 25, 2021

Elon tweeted no door handles on the revised CT. My guess is the CT will use electric door poppers when walking up to the vehicle. Maybe you grab the upper part inside of the door to fully open. We will have to wait for the public reveal for more details. This decision will help eliminate parts, cut production costs, improve exterior appearance and deter thieves.

Last edited:

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
CT won't have door handles, they're a thing of the past. CT will be shaved.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
It is part of the robot revolution, you can never leave your CT Without handles.

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
Anyone own an older Model S or X, and have had an issue with the recessed door handle not extending to open? Happened today and already set up a repair appointment. Thought it was cool at first to have the handles recessed for a sleeker look, but now would prefer something different on the CT. Anyone know if the CT’s handles will be like this, or like the later model cars that you push one end and it extends manually?
Probably something similar to roadster door opening.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
There will be an emergency handle (and a normal button) to open the door from the inside.

-Crissa
I choose to believe in the robotic takeover. And, I paid extra for it…FSD

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Just had a similar issue on my 13 MS. This is a known issue. mine would present but not register the touch to open. this was a $300 repair for me as the control module needed to be replaced. I hate to inform you but i think i recall reading your issue is more intrusive and like a $600+ fix. as the whole handle has to be replaced. It took them over a month to get the parts to do the fix as well with the chip shortage, so hopefully you arent waiting too long!

Good luck!

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
The Falcon doors solve different problems, though.

-Crissa
And as much as I hate to admit it, I really have a lust for the falcon doors. Once I get some extra cash I'd like one of the upgraded X's to run the family around town in. I know I'm late to the party and all but falcon doors have been a long time dream.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Ford has no handles on the Mach-e. They have an exterior button. Why not something similar on the CT? Handles are so 20th century :)
The Cybertruck and future models of other Tesla's will probably adopt the Roadster door opening feature where you slide your finger down the glass of the winder over the B pillar where there is a sensor and the door will open enough for you to grab it. I'm actually really surprised to see that the new Model S and Model X updates don't have this option. Maybe they had too many door handles and wanted to use up the stock.

One thing I don't like about the Mach E door button and I had a similar problem with Tesla door hands that are flush with the car, and that is it sucks in the winter after some freezing rain. Both Ford and Tesla have little pushers installed in the door to force it open even against a sheet of ice, but you still need to press the button and i've seen some thick layers of ice on my door a couple times each winter up here in Canada.

I'm hoping the Tesla just puts an open door button in the app when it's in range of bluetooth at least, so I can press that and not have to worry about weather ice is stopping me from activating the open door function.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The Cybertruck and future models of other Tesla's will probably adopt the Roadster door opening feature where you slide your finger down the glass of the winder over the B pillar where there is a sensor and the door will open enough for you to grab it. I'm actually really surprised to see that the new Model S and Model X updates don't have this option. Maybe they had too many door handles and wanted to use up the stock.

One thing I don't like about the Mach E door button and I had a similar problem with Tesla door hands that are flush with the car, and that is it sucks in the winter after some freezing rain. Both Ford and Tesla have little pushers installed in the door to force it open even against a sheet of ice, but you still need to press the button and i've seen some thick layers of ice on my door a couple times each winter up here in Canada.

I'm hoping the Tesla just puts an open door button in the app when it's in range of bluetooth at least, so I can press that and not have to worry about weather ice is stopping me from activating the open door function.
The MX senses your approach and opens. Perhaps they can have a combination of ways to open the door and not rely on just one or even two.
Sponsored