Cybertruck Plaid

Will there be a Plaid version of the Cybertruck?

• Total voters

Billyboy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Honda CRV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They have some beefy crossmembers to keep those composite wrapped motors from tearing apart the rear end.
tesla-model-s-plaid.jpeg

My question is, would the super strong exoskeleton let them just plug the plaid motors into a Cybertruck without a lot of fuss?
Whatever u mean, the answer is no
Sponsored

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Whatever u mean, the answer is no
In the patent they show that the exoskeleton, “may or may not be load bearing”. I am skeptical that the stainless panels will actually bear much load. The sail pillars and fenders may through a structural adhesive attaching them to the main body frame. It would seem that crazy torque of those motors will transfer through the gigantic casting and the body will attach to the casting through numerous connection points.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
In the patent they show that the exoskeleton, “may or may not be load bearing”. I am skeptical that the stainless panels will actually bear much load. The sail pillars and fenders may through a structural adhesive attaching them to the main body frame. It would seem that crazy torque of those motors will transfer through the gigantic casting and the body will attach to the casting through numerous connection points.
everything on the Cybertruck will be structural. The doors are made to be structural, obviously the bed will do it's part to keep the truck solid, the glass roof and windshield will also be a structural component like in most vehicles.

I'm not sure what part of the exoskeleton around the cab would be carrying so much weight that it would be considered load bearing. The entire roof will obviously have it's weight spread out, the bed will be load bearing but that's a given. the battery pack will be made to distribute the weight on it to the suspension.

the good thing about the Cybertruck design is if there is a weaker part of the truck, like the exoskeleton around the doors maybe, it shouldn't be a problem because it'll still be a very solid piece and that can distribute the weight if something like a tree was to fall on the truck or you have a canoe on the roof racks.

Last edited:

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
everything on the Cybertruck will be structural. The doors are made to be structural, obviously the bed will do it's part to keep the truck solid, the glass roof and windshield will also be a structural component like in most vehicles.

I'm not sure what part of the exoskeleton around the cab would be carrying so much weight that it would be considered load bearing. The entire roof will obviously have it's weight spread out, the bed will be load bearing but that's a given. the battery pack will be made to distribute the weight on it to the suspension.

the good thing about the Cybertruck design is if there is a weaker part of the truck, like the exoskeleton around the doors maybe, it shouldn't be a problem because it'll still be a very solid piece and that can distribute the weight if something like a tree was to fall on the truck or you have a canoe on the roof racks.
I learn something new everyday.

xodarap1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick Encore, Nissan Sentra, >>> Cybertruck TM
Occupation
Security
Country flag
So I believe that the Trimotor will be plaid.

We have to assume that the names of the trims are going to change from single, dual, and tri. My best guess is single is going to be standard and might even be discontinued in the future if the demand distribution doesn't change after deliveries start. Dual would be the long range model and Tri would be plaid.

There are a couple things that lead me to this conclusion. First is my assumption that the Cybertruck will be one of the higher end models of Tesla. They have the S and then the more affordable 3, then they have the X and the more affordable Y. Either Tesla makes a smaller and affordable version of the Cybertruck, which would fit in with what they did with the S/3 and X/Y, or they just have the Cybertruck which would already make sense to have a plaid version.

Another reason why I think the Trimotor will be plaid is because if it isn't, what are they going to do to make a plaid model? Elon has said before that his daily driver will be a Plaid Cybertruck. The Tri will already do 0-60 in 2.9 seconds which beats a Model S LR, is .3 seconds behind a Model X plaid, and only .901 seconds behind a Model S plaid. I don't think a 4th motor is going to put much additional benefit over 3 motors, 500+ miles range is probably close to the maximum, if not the maximum already in terms of space.

So without the arguement of "there won't be a Plaid Cybertruck", what could Tesla to make a plaid Cybertruck that's even better than the current trimotor.
How many people would purchase a plaid upgrade at 10K - 20K for tri motor cybertruck just to drop 0-60 from <2.9 to 1.9? Not many. Not enough.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
How many people would purchase a plaid upgrade at 10K - 20K for tri motor cybertruck just to drop 0-60 from <2.9 to 1.9? Not many. Not enough.
Yeah that's exactly pretty much what I was getting at. also it wouldn't be from 2.9 to 1.9 since the model S is obviously lights, lower drag coefficient, with the same tri motor design. even adding a forth motor would probably just drop it down by like .2-.4 seconds. I don't see a truck doing under 2.5 even with the best wheels, perfect conditions and 4 motors with the current technology that we have.

The Tri motor Cybertruck will be fast but most people won't see 0-60 in 2.9 seconds unless they are putting performance tires on their truck which isn't something the average truck owner is probably going to do.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Yeah that's exactly pretty much what I was getting at. also it wouldn't be from 2.9 to 1.9 since the model S is obviously lights, lower drag coefficient, with the same tri motor design. even adding a forth motor would probably just drop it down by like .2-.4 seconds. I don't see a truck doing under 2.5 even with the best wheels, perfect conditions and 4 motors with the current technology that we have.

The Tri motor Cybertruck will be fast but most people won't see 0-60 in 2.9 seconds unless they are putting performance tires on their truck which isn't something the average truck owner is probably going to do.
I bet most who get the tri will attempt once or twice. ?
I’m trying for 2.9 in my duo

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
i'll take it to the track for sure but I doubt i'll even time myself. I'll just enjoy that the truck is faster than my car.

OP
OP

Ranulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
Acceleration is limited by max battery output. Cybertruck has an advantage over the S Plaid, as it will have the 4860 cells. Sure, it may not be able to go 1.9s 0-60 but, depending on battery output, getting to 2.4 seconds 0-60 is well within the realm of possibility.

In other words, the motors are not being maxed out, because of battery limitations.

I work with AC and DC drives at work, and we can adjust the maximum power the motor is allowed to draw. We get AC power from the grid so we can max out the motors if we want.

If the 4860 cells are as good as they say they are, maximum battery output should be greater and, even without a theoretical performance option, I would expect software upgrades after launch to unlock more and more of that battery output during acceleration.

A few folks have done the math with rough numbers, and to achieve 2.9 seconds, battery output is similar to the max battery output we see on other Teslas without the 4860 cells.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I thought I heard Elon refer to the trimotor as Plaid, but I could just be hearing what I wanted to hear. Who knows, I only want the trimotor for the battery/range. Anything else is simply bonus.

But, I also don't want to pay $125k for a truck, just to do 0-60 in some insane amount of time. This is the equivalence of a kid buying a crotch rocket, and soon after flying off after hitting a slight bump in the road, amplified at 175mph. I simply don't need it, and don't need to compensate for anything either. peace

OP
OP

Ranulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
I wouldnt pay extra for a better 0-60 time either. Range is king, I just wanna do long road trips. However, I won’t complain if the tri motor time is better than 2.9 seconds. I am an adrenaline junkie, I like feeling the gees.

And yes, they call the tri motor power train “plaid”
Sponsored