CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I do believe 250-300K peak is reasonable. The question is when we will get there. I think hitting 4680 high production rates is a necessary prerequisite for that. Also we have not seen CT casts lined up in Texas like we saw for Y yet so I would not start the clock on ramp up for CT yet. But I do remain hopeful. IF they do everything else like they are doing the construction in Giga Texas, and setup for Y, we should be in good shape.
That's why i'm estimating another year before we can even get close to the peak. Tesla is optimistic in their upcoming battery production and panasonic is also ready to invest in producing them immediately when Tesla proves they are a success.

The batteries will have to start before Cybertruck production and Cybertruck production should start at the end of this year. So an additional 6-8 months could be reasonable for production for both the Cybertruck and the new batteries to increase greatly.
Sponsored

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
panasonic is also ready to invest in producing them immediately when Tesla proves they are a success.
”Ready to invest” is not the same as “producing them immediately“. Reports indicate at this time at most they may setup a prototype production for 4680 by March 22. If they like what they see and if other car companies show interest in buying them, they make take the plunge with multi-billion dollar investment. This sounds far from a slam dunk and immediate to me.

I am a bit confused about the whole thing. Is the pilot line Tesla has at Magic Cube is supposed to be replicated in Berlin and Texas at large scale independent of Panasonic? Or Panasonic is suppose to do it for Tesla?

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150
Country flag
”Ready to invest” is not the same as “producing them immediately“. Reports indicate at this time at most they may setup a prototype production for 4680 by March 22. If they like what they see and if other car companies show interest in buying them, they make take the plunge with multi-billion dollar investment. This sounds far from a slam dunk and immediate to me.

I am a bit confused about the whole thing. Is the pilot line Tesla has at Magic Cube is supposed to be replicated in Berlin and Texas at large scale independent of Panasonic? Or Panasonic is suppose to do it for Tesla?
I believe the battery plants in Texas and Germany will be Tesla, however I understand your confusion since Panasonic, CATL, and another battery company are also going to make 4680’s however I dont believe they will be using all of Tesla’s secrets.

BTW, thanks For the information about the 250K build rate, I hadn’t realized quantitits were ever discussed.

RoadbossTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, Aventon Aventure
Country flag
I was so impressed with the Lightning, and the Bronco, I bought some Ford stock. There will be more loyal Ford owners that will jump ship, I respect that. One size does not fit all, and the Lightning might just be a better fit. But, at the end of the day, do you want a leading edge product, or a product that is chasing the leader in EV technology. CT for me, thank you!

`AquaWatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 RAM 1500,Tesla Model Y , !971SS Camaro,
Country flag
Roast me.
I’ll roast you about one thing.:You made a thread with only saying “Roast me”
I would have liked an explanation why youi chose to cancel your reservation and your reasoning behind your decision to purchase the Ford. That could have led to mature dialogue. Instead youi just made a troll thread. Rather pathetic really

hobbit11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Country flag
In 2 days, I have had more contact with Ford than my entire reservation timeline with Tesla [Reserved at launch]. I have a representative, dealership, and production timeline. +1 for Ford customer service.

I am still a fanboy, picked the more practical option for my family. Can't wait to do a weekend truck swap with one of you!
glad for you

hobbit11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Country flag
I was so impressed with the Lightning, and the Bronco, I bought some Ford stock. There will be more loyal Ford owners that will jump ship, I respect that. One size does not fit all, and the Lightning might just be a better fit. But, at the end of the day, do you want a leading edge product, or a product that is chasing the leader in EV technology. CT for me, thank you!
a long hold on Ford stock is no bueno...

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Ford would like to have a word with you.

1625192829292.png

FordPass SmartLink Upgrades (yes, that's the actual name) are available for some Ford makes as old as 2010. They will be using a Google OS in their cars in the future. They had a automotive version of Windows in their car since 2008.

Will the F150 Lightning system be as polished as Tesla? Doubtful, but the jury is out. Will it be something remarkable? I'd bet the under.

I don't like Tesla's map anything. After entertainment - which I hope all autos have figured out at this point - maps are a good place to make inroads against Tesla.

Broadly speaking, I don't see Ford as a software company. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they showed any amount of software chops.

Whatever Ford had in 2010-2019 it was not anything like what Tesla has. Maybe the Ford OTA was for navigation maps.

Even Ford does not claim they had advanced OTA updates in 2010-2019.

Ford Corporate - In 2020, Ford will begin equipping most redesigned vehicles in the U.S. with over-the-air software update capability.
https://corporate.ford.com/articles/products/over-the-air-software-updates.html

Ford will space out redesigns thanks to over-the-air updating system
Nearly 60 of the F-150's systems can be updated wirelessly
By Ronan Glon
Dec 15th 2020
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/12/15/ford-over-the-air-ota-updates-fewer-redesigns/

First 2021 Ford F-150, Mustang Mach-E OTA Updates Start March 18 2021
by Brett Foote
March 17, 2021
https://fordauthority.com/2021/03/first-2021-ford-f-150-mustang-mach-e-ota-updates-start-march-18/

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Of course we will hear from Scott again. I know when he finally gets his F150 lightning he will post pictures galore and tell you how ecstatic he was about it. It’ll be everything he has ever dreamed about. Can’t wait to go to the store just so he can drive his beloved beast. Then the honeymoon phase will wear off and we won’t hear from him again. we certainly won’t hear from him when he has his first service issue at the dealership. Or his next dealership appointment. He may burst a blood vessel in his brain when he gets his first scratch in the parking lot of the grocery store. However, he won’t say a word to us.

We might hear from Scott when the unlikely event that he has to use his truck to power his home because a powerline was down for a couple of hours in his neighborhood. Yes it saved him from having to deal with the loss of Netflix for two hours. It will be scary for him, but he will have survived, may be he will have thrived at the challenge! For that he will boast and brag to us like no man has ever boasted and bragged before! He will regale us of the adventure and pity the fool‘s with their cyber trucks. He will expect free beers whenever he goes into a bar as people sit beside him hearing, yet again, that time in 2022 when he survived the power outage and how he saved his family from talking to each other.

Oh and all of the little gremlins that keep popping up, we will not hear about that. Factor that he won’t be getting the mileage he’s predicting will also go unsaid. He’s wondering why he can’t find a working supercharger on his road trip, His chitchat with is Ford rep was more personal stroking he had received from Tesla, so it became immaterial. The Rep told him,”Fah-ghee-about-it! Wee’z build dat lickity_split.” So in the future you can expect to not hear from him again as he searches and searches for a charge point not connected to a dealership.

Don’t expect him to say hello after the door dings and crumples takes him to the body shop. He has new friends to chat with. His Ford rep. That rep will offer him a free cup of coffee and maybe a pastry as he waits for hours on end and the body shop waiting for his baby to come back looking like new again. They’ll become close. Very close. After all, they will be spending a lot of time together. After a while the rep will just become a member of the family and be there at his daughter’s wedding.

You must now see our original poster wasn’t looking for the truck in the future. He wasn’t looking for an electric truck to terminate all other trucks. He wasn’t looking for the best built and best lasting truck of all time. He was looking for a friend. He needed an up close and personal relationship that only a dealership can afford. Do not pity this man. No! Praise this man. He has emotional intelligence. He knew what he needed was more visceral in nature, a form of bonding seen in Maslow‘s hierarchy of needs. one of the strongest needs is that sense of belonging to a tribe like him. He now has a tribe he belongs to: he has a salesman, a factory rep, a mechanic, the body man, a dealership manager, a personal finance and insurance person, the parts supervisor, the cashier at the parts desk, the appointment girl who schedules all of his factory maintenance visits and sudden repair needs. He has a place we’re everyone will know his name. His tribe. He now belongs to Tribe Ford. It’s all rather touching to my heart.

Fair thee well, old chum. Faire well!?

Last edited:

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Fair thee well, old chum. Faire well!?

Wow, this may be the first valid and verified channeling of Christopher Hitchens ghost ever.....

Well done sir.

CybergalX

First Name
Cloe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current Honda Civic /Ram 2500 Diesel ordered cybertruck dual motor
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I had both on reservation as well, but canceled the Ford Lightning after three weeks as more details emerged about the commercial version and higher trim lines. For my needs in replacing a 2002 Ram 2500 cummins diesel (occasional towing of a duel axel trailer full of logs) , and a 2016 honda civic ( 150 mile round trip commute 4 days a week). The cost to get into a lighting vs a cybertruck to meet my needs made the cybertruck the hands down winner. I'm in the mid teens of reservations for a cybertruck so fingers crossed that my dual motor cybertruck is in the driveway summer of 2022.
Sponsored