John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Why not just get a generator, power wall or equivalent for the home and let the vehicle keep its charge?

Or, take it as an opportunity to glamp in the CT?

Cheapest option is to run an extension cord from CT to power strip, Fridge, TV, one light and internet router. Who needs anything else? You just need to rough it and not use a microwave, fire up that grill.
Sponsored

Jamessmooth007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I was so impressed with the Lightning, and the Bronco, I bought some Ford stock. There will be more loyal Ford owners that will jump ship, I respect that. One size does not fit all, and the Lightning might just be a better fit. But, at the end of the day, do you want a leading edge product, or a product that is chasing the leader in EV technology. CT for me, thank you!
Smart buy on the Ford stock, imo.

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag

Like this……probably get a chance to use it with Elsa on the way. Would be great to plug it into the CT.

Tesla Cybertruck I Cancelled my Cybertruck for the F150 Lightning 1625592147908

Jamessmooth007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
At only 400,000th in line, you shouldn't have to wait too long. Expecting some cancellations, and assuming that Tesla reaches peak production sometime in mid-late 2022, I'd say that you would only have 1-2 years after you might get a lightning. That's also assuming you get a lightning right away when they start deliveries of the lightning by mid 2022.

We have to remember that they are literally constructing the biggest factory. I believe that production will be very quick. Elon estimated 250,000-300,000 a year at peak production
Important to remember reservation numbers appear to include ALL Tesla reservations. Subtract a bunch from your "number." :)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Man, you guys are brutal. Payback will be a B. when he comes back telling us about his lightening in the driveway and we are sucking our thumbs two years down the road still waiting for an update.

I probably have dropped out by then, unless @Mini2nut come back every once in a while with his photos and recharge me.
Maybe *you* will be sucking your thumb for 2 years.

I’m about 65,000 in the CT queue. Pretty fair chance I’ll have my truck before all but the first shipment of Ford Lightning buyers does. Heck, if Tesla is in production by year end, there is a chance I’ll have mine before the first Lightnings are delivered.

Actually, I’m betting the CT will be available for public purchase by 2024.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Maybe *you* will be sucking your thumb for 2 years.

I’m about 65,000 in the CT queue. Pretty fair chance I’ll have my truck before all but the first shipment of Ford Lightning buyers does. Heck, if Tesla is in production by year end, there is a chance I’ll have mine before the first Lightnings are delivered.

Actually, I’m betting the CT will be available for public purchase by 2024.
I hope you are correct and wish you the best of luck. The sooner you get yours the better it is for all of us.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
OK, I'm basically ignoring this thread so who knows what everyone is talking about here.

But every time I see this thread at the top of the What's New I giggle.

So you're telling me that the F-150 Lightning was SOOOOO expensive that you could no longer afford the $100 needed to keep your CT reservation? I can totally see some people preferring the F-150 over the CT. I can see some theoretical benefit to being early in line for the F-150 if you are super far back in line on the CT. But if you are a member here and had actually placed a reservation for the CT, I see no benefit to canceling your CT reservation when you placed a reservation for the F-150. Well, OK. So there is the opportunity cost of the $100 deposit. So not exactly 0 benefits. But if that opportunity cost is meaningful to you, I doubt you would be buying an F-150.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OK, I'm basically ignoring this thread so who knows what everyone is talking about here.

But every time I see this thread at the top of the What's New I giggle.

So you're telling me that the F-150 Lightning was SOOOOO expensive that you could no longer afford the $100 needed to keep your CT reservation? I can totally see some people preferring the F-150 over the CT. I can see some theoretical benefit to being early in line for the F-150 if you are super far back in line on the CT. But if you are a member here and had actually placed a reservation for the CT, I see no benefit to canceling your CT reservation when you placed a reservation for the F-150. Well, OK. So there is the opportunity cost of the $100 deposit. So not exactly 0 benefits. But if that opportunity cost is meaningful to you, I doubt you would be buying an F-150.
‘Keeping one foot in the door for CT is sensible and definitely worth $100 but poking frustrated CT reservation holders and getting 7 pages worth of roast? Priceless.

Edit: 9 pages

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
F150 battery seem to be "suspended". I wonder how that compares to CT in a Baja 1000 race.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I had both on reservation as well, but canceled the Ford Lightning after three weeks as more details emerged about the commercial version and higher trim lines. For my needs in replacing a 2002 Ram 2500 cummins diesel (occasional towing of a duel axel trailer full of logs) , and a 2016 honda civic ( 150 mile round trip commute 4 days a week). The cost to get into a lighting vs a cybertruck to meet my needs made the cybertruck the hands down winner. I'm in the mid teens of reservations for a cybertruck so fingers crossed that my dual motor cybertruck is in the driveway summer of 2022.
I am sitting close to where you are in the reservations for the dual motor. And our hopes are aligned there. It will be an even sweeter summer if that CT is sitting in the driveway.

I ended up placing another order for the tri motor just in case but I am sitting around 600,000 for that. I am curious if they will give us the opportunity to switch when the orders open up but either way there are good times ahead.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
The CT has a 220 volt outlet, correct? Don't know what amperage, I'll assume only 30a, but it wouldn't be difficult to patch that back into your breaker box to power your house. 30a wouldn't power much but it would keep you from freezing.

You would have to take great care that it's done correctly so you don't fry some poor repairman working down the street.
You know
The auto transfer switch/panel seems like a lot for 30 amps but its definitely the right way to do it. Because you are still going to have to manually do something the simplest way to handle this although definitely not electrically recommended is to make a cable that has a male nema 30 amp plug that can backfeed an existing 30 amp outlet in your garage. You would basically go shut of the main at your panel and then plug the truck into your house, which would backfeed your main and then just try not to draw more than 30 amps. And if you did draw more than 30 amps either that 30 amp circuit would pop or the circuit at the truck would pop (probably the truck overcurrent would pop first so hopefully that is easy to switch), but the wiring would all still be protected. The downside is that when the power does come back on it wouldn't automatically switch back to city power. You would need to unplug the truck then turn your main breaker back on. But if you have a 30 amp plug in your garage such is common for electric dryers, you could power your refrigerator and basic lighting etc. really easily and cheaply. Again, I am fairly certain this is against code, but I don't see why it wouldn't safely work. Its basically the same concept at a basic transfer switch. If you have the 30 amp outlet or larger already, which you likely would just to charge your EV, this is a solution for less than $100. I would love to be corrected here. I will probably build a 30 amp male to male jumper cable so that I don't have to destroy a 50 foot 30 amp cable. Or have to store a 50 ft cable that I destroyed only to use once every couple years.

Last edited:

X32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Audio Tech
Country flag
@anionic1, That may be a way to do it but I thought it would be best to not post info for doing something that is illegal most everywhere, not to mention dangerous.
Sponsored