Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Also why is it better than Lightning? The Ford might actually ship this year, and the brief press interactions have already revealed some positive surprises like an effective range over 425 miles for example. Turns out Lightning’s 300 mile epa rating was achieved with 1000 lbs of payload in the bed… me likey ?
Sponsored

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
RAM is trying hard to make some of the folks here happy. They don't have a prototype yet, but they want to make sure you know it will come with a full size spare tire. :)
Tesla Cybertruck Dodge Ram will be better than Ford F-150 Lightning 1625835440901

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Here is the video from the live broadcast

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
A lot of this is about batteries. Who can make the most efficient batteries and squeeze the most miles out of those batteries. So far it's Tesla by a large margin.

With trucks it seems like this will be even more important. I'm betting a big part of how Tesla gets 500 miles range involves aerodynamics, lower weight, and a comparatively smaller battery. Likely 150 kWh.

There are some downsides to that, once you add a giant trailer to the back, the Tesla's range it going to take a bigger hit than the Ford or Dodge.
Regarding your comment about towing the trailer, that may not be true as Tesla's efficiency is better.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Dyson had... flaws.

For one, solid state is only in the pre-production stage this year. Prototype packs are being made. We have no idea what they'll workout at. Dyson gave up two years ago. That's a long time ago in technology! They were also looking to manufacture in the most expensive country on the planet.

-Crissa
Musk also stated at this point doesn't find solid state batteries to be viable

showmemo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 M3P, 2000 M Roadster, XC 40, TriMotor CT
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Cant see typical RAM driver buying an EV anytime soon. They should prob just chase their demo and offer coal burning trucks.
Guess I'm not 'typical'... sold my Ram Ecodiesel and bought a 2021 M3P to hooligan around in until my CT is ready in a few years :)

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Funny how they mention solid state batteries when even Dyson gave that up.
I think everyone is hopeful that solid state will make some break through a in the next few years. My guess is that if Elon says it’s not worth pursuing then he is probably right. I feel like the range of liquid electrolyte batteries is almost so close to having acceptable range that they may make enough advancements that solid state isn’t necessary. I mean at 400 miles that’s about 5 hours of long distance driving. Chances are that charging will become more convenient and taking a break to charge won’t be an issue

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Regarding your comment about towing the trailer, that may not be true as Tesla's efficiency is better.
Also, really the energy cost or kWh of moving a trailer should be similar across any vehicle. The efficiency of the vehicle to produce the force needed to move the trailer should only better the energy performance. So if towing is the goal then the bigger the battery pack and the more efficient the vehicle the better

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Here is the video from the live broadcast

Ram would have made a bigger splash if they at least had announced they were working on a BEV Ram 2500 HD. That would have put them ahead of the completion.
If they aren't working on a HD BEV then they are behind and will stay behind.

That's my biggest disappointment in their presentation.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Also, really the energy cost or kWh of moving a trailer should be similar across any vehicle. The efficiency of the vehicle to produce the force needed to move the trailer should only better the energy performance. So if towing is the goal then the bigger the battery pack and the more efficient the vehicle the better
a bigger battery pack might be less efficient - its the efficiency that Tesla dominates with... with a smaller pack they go farther than competitors.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
With the Ford Lightning and FCA/Stellantis all electric Ram public announcements that just leaves GM and their 1500 Silverado.

I believe the main reason EM hasn’t leaked all of the Cybertruck’s details is for competitive advantage reasons. Notice that the latest EM Tweet, rear wheel steering, had absolutely zero details. This would give the Big 3 “competition” engineering and design time. I predict the Cybertruck will not see substantial production until Q2 of 2022. That timeline is roughly 9-months away.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
500 mile range by 2024 a pipe dream? NAH!
I don't doubt 500 mile vehicles will be a thing. But...

...Their numbers don't work out. Nearly no one has a 4.5mpkW today. That's because of aerodynamics. You can get 5mpkW with a Model 3 or a Bolt being really good, but you have to be really damn patient.

They're saying they're going to get this 500 miles at 4.5mpkW and a 100kWh battery. That math doesn't work. 100*4.5=450≠500

And that's before they magiced a full-sized SUV that is supposed to be getting the 4.5mpkW!

-Crissa
Sponsored

Last edited: