Who's betting we'll see Cybertruck going out of Fremont this October?

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
If you are talking 2021, the only way I see that happening is this:

My assumption is that IDRA has to test the Gigapress before taking it apart and shipping the parts to Texas. If there were a few casts produced during that test, they could go to California before the machine is shipped and assembled in Texas.

Hay this is a wishful thinking thread, why not this.
You have a very good point. IDRA might also be the makers of the custom metal forming dies used in the gigapresses or the forming dies could have been shipped by Tesla to IDRA for product verification testing of the 8K unit. The 8K gigapress had to test make something. So there could be real Cybertruck front/rear gigacastings already in existance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
If it did not explode we must be babying the unit, push it harder find out what the real world limit of the design is.
Can totally relate. When my wife leaves me alone with ice-cream, it is all about finding the limits. Not quite there yet but it is gonna get mighty interesting when I do. Having to scrape my pieces off the wall will be her problem.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There is a significant investment of time and effort to install the 8000-ton gigapresses needed for the CT castings. I'm skeptical these would be installed at Fremont, even temporarily.
You don't need a gigapress to do assembly validation.

-Crissa

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
There is a significant investment of time and effort to install the 8000-ton gigapresses needed for the CT castings. I'm skeptical these would be installed at Fremont, even temporarily.
You don't need a gigapress to do assembly validation.
Yup, 100% agree.

Tesla Fremont also only needs CNC created aluminum front/rear casting replicas in-order to prove out Cybertruck's stainless steel exoskeleton fabrication from rolls/sheets that are then cut, bent, welded, etc into fully shaped bodies.

SAVFPV

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All Black Model Y LR, Beast w/ FSD Reserved @ 1149
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Another solution to produce more realistic prototypes of Cybertruck is to CNC mill replica aluminum front/rear castings so they can continue work on testing the rest of full-size Cybertruck.
Im assuming this is exactly what has been done to create the prototype(s). Also interesting to me is that all the male/female molds which shape the castings are probably being cnc milled or already have been milled somewhere and are waiting in a crate in Austin somewhere. Some one who killed those castings would’ve signed a big time NDA for sure. Wow, can you imagine the price for a pair ?

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Yeah, validation models can have the megacasting made of smaller castings, too.

-Crissa
I honestly don't see why that can't make a 2 piece front and rear casting that bolts together down the center if to do nothing more than make progress.... I would think that this could be accomplished with the exiting Gigapress.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I remember a rumor a while back of initial prototyping happening in Fremont to get sized for Austin, but I don't recall anything official.

I was thinking about the way it's be made and I think sandy Monroe was bang on with the assembly simplicity.
>Build frame
>Load in battery, motors/axles, computer and harnesses
>Stamp on outer shell
>Add doors and interior finishes
>Add wheels
>Ship directly to my address

If anything I feel like the Fremont models will just be proof of concept.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
>Build frame
>Load in battery, motors/axles, computer and harnesses
>Stamp on outer shell
>Add doors and interior finishes
>Add wheels
  • No frame
  • Harnesses need to go onto the battery before the body is assembled
  • No stamping
  • You want to add interior items before the doors and windows
  • You might want to add wheels early in tthe process so they're rolling on their own four wheels instead of being carted by robots...
  • ...there's finishing, inspection, validation, updating, charging, and paperwork before shipping it to you ^-^

-Crissa

OP
OP

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Did your wife see that comment?
The Health and Safety strongly recommends not to show it
This is revenge. I told her I want to be cremated and she sets an appointment for this Tuesday.:devilish:

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I honestly don't see why that can't make a 2 piece front and rear casting that bolts together down the center if to do nothing more than make progress.... I would think that this could be accomplished with the exiting Gigapress.
This is exactly what they did with Model Y. See Sandy's Y teardown in which the casting was two pieces. It is now a single-piece casting.
https://insideevs.com/news/414685/sandy-munro-more-details-castings-splashes-teslaract/

It might be reasonable to suspect the CT could use two castings in place of one. What I could not possibly answer would be whether this would matter when it comes to the listed 3,500lb payload capacity or 14,000lb towing.
Sponsored