A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Wow. What's your anticipated daily demand? As I recall it was pretty modest compared to what 400 kWh of storage implies. How much solar do you figure you'll need to charge them? How do you plan to get power out of them if V2H isn't available by the time they deliver?
Sponsored

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I just signed to get three Tesla power walls installed, but they have a one year wait. I'm really.hoping autobidder is perfected by then.

I'm also hoping my house doesn't get burned down between now and then too.

OP
OP
LDRHAWKE

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
As the title says…..The Cyber Truck may pay for itself. This could be the main reason Tesla has not already designed their EV’s to be used a electrical back system for your home is made clear In the video below. They need the 4860 high density batteries to make it viable and not risk a battery life issue.

The YouTube channel dubbed “The Limiting Factor” uncovered the potential existence of the V2H charging feature in the Tesla Cybertruck. He discovered it in one of Jeff Dahn’s videos who is a battery researcher at Tesla.

A new Tesla million-mile battery with moderate energy density capable of offering a greater number of recharge cycles will enable the V2H charging feature in the Cyber Truck. The good news is the Cyber Truck will most likely be the first Tesla EV with the capability.

The same was proven in a paper published in the Journal of The Electrochemical Society. It read that a moderate energy density cell “should be able to power an electric vehicle for over 1.6 million kilometers (1 million miles) and last at least two decades in grid energy storage.”

Tesla Cybertruck The Cyber Truck may pay for itself. D7B34F6D-E707-405B-AE69-557F47718A97
"https://www.youtube.com/embed/sPIpOB9dya8?feature=oembed"

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
@ajdelange

As you know I have 30kW of PV on one workshop, but I also have another 70kW planned for the next PV setup next to our offgrid RV ecopark. We already know the CT will have something like a 8-10kW inverter output at 240V (2x powerwall output) for tools etc so that alone will let me cycle 100kWh a day or so for each CT which is a healthy 50% DOD even without V2H.

I'm also thinking it would be good to be able to alternate car use seeing I can't charge overnight from solar being offgrid, otherwise I can only drive at night from my own power.

Technically you could use the CT tool inverter for V2G too instead of a powerwall. Even that could make some money on autobidder. But as I mentioned before in this thread other manufacturers will be implementing V2G/V2H because they lack the battery supply etc to do their own Powerwalls, and as such I am pretty confident CT will have some form of it too to stay competitive. As you know the bidirectional part is trivial to do in the CT, it just needs a proper network interface in the home to make it work. Which in turn is also pretty cheap to do if they wanted to. Even a DC output from the CT would work for me, seeing MPPT string voltages easily accommodate current EV pack voltages (with a current limiter). But ideally that solar offgrid V2V/G/H 50kW charger we looked at the other day would work otherwise. ;-)

There's also the point of allowing people to plug in at work, meaning many more EVs would be connected to the grid especially during the day when it counts for peak shaving, power factor control and RE/PV storage etc.

Another thing worth considering regarding the hesitancy around EV battery cycling for V2G is that as batteries reduce in price and increase in performance there will come a threshold where V2G is more viable than using that battery to drive a EV. At that point people will be buying EVs for the grid, if by then they are not all autonomous cars and plug themselves in with robosnakecharger and become methods of transporting energy from place to place without using the grid at all...aka a grid on wheels. Cars are a underutilized resource, especially if they are parked for most of their lives just so we have the convenience of sporadic mobility. :unsure:

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
As you know I have 30kW of PV on one workshop, but I also have another 70kW planned for the next PV setup next to our offgrid RV ecopark.
I remembered you already had quite a bit but I don't remember mention of the additional 70 kW. Thanks.

Another thing worth considering regarding the hesitancy around EV battery cycling for V2G is that as batteries reduce in price and increase in performance there will come a threshold where V2G is more viable than using that battery to drive a EV.
I have no doubt all this will come to pass eventually. I just wonder about when. Of course what I really wonder about is whether the CT will have it. AFAIK the 4680 is not the "million mile" battery that I think everyone pretty much accepts as being necessary to make people comfortable with V2G/H. I'm watching Ford to see if they actually come through. Of course all this gets convolved with the supply problems, competition and the political climate. Interesting times.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The last thing I want during a crisis is to drain my getaway vehicle.
The last thing I want to need is to drive 200 miles without charging to flee a natural disaster.

If you can't get away from it or to power in 50 miles, you aren't going to have enough warning.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I guess you gotta get the 500 mile Cybertruck, then you can fluctuate between 50-80% charge and always have 200 miles of getaway range. Make sure to add solar so you can charge up and keep moving after the lights go out.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
The last thing I want to need is to drive 200 miles without charging to flee a natural disaster.

If you can't get away from it or to power in 50 miles, you aren't going to have enough warning.

-Crissa
And if you are living near Yellowstone, Lassen Volcanic National Park... you won't need a full charge. Just stay put and pray. :eek:

OP
OP
LDRHAWKE

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I remembered you already had quite a bit but I don't remember mention of the additional 70 kW. Thanks.

I have no doubt all this will come to pass eventually. I just wonder about when. Of course what I really wonder about is whether the CT will have it. AFAIK the 4680 is not the "million mile" battery that I think everyone pretty much accepts as being necessary to make people comfortable with V2G/H. I'm watching Ford to see if they actually come through. Of course all this gets convolved with the supply problems, competition and the political climate. Interesting times.
Check back with Ford in five years when they have a battery..maybe by mid decade. The result of laughing at Musk at the EV technology for 15 years.
  • The BlueOvalSK MoU builds on Ford’s recently announced investments to accelerate R&D of battery technology and manufacturing
    Ford and SK Innovation announced they have signed an MoU to create a joint venture – to be called BlueOvalSK – to produce approximately 60 GWh annually in traction battery cells and array modules, starting mid-decade, with potential to expand.

OP
OP
LDRHAWKE

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
And if you are living near Yellowstone, Lassen Volcanic National Park... you won't need a full charge. Just stay put and pray. :eek:
Even the S Plaid 0 to 60 in 1.9 sec won’t help you then.

OP
OP
LDRHAWKE

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Inside the Cybertruck on the lee side of a hill (relative to the volcano) is likely the safest place!!
That will probably work if you live in Florida or Southern California….?

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Elon if you are following any of this help me out here!
I doubt Elon is following this thread but his recent tweet about the $3000 stock price being justified if they execute very well is probably related to this V2G/Virtual power plant business not EVs. There are many companies jumping on the EV band wagon. Several will make compelling competition which would in itself prevent gains in market share, but if Tesla Energy can in fact make all future Tesla's part of this grid, this would set them apart. I am so tempted to put in a reservation for a 2026 CT3.
Sponsored