James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Nissan Frontier, 2013 Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Musician/Yogi
Country flag
I would do the same way you planned plus plastic bags and film attached with magnets to the screw heads on amps (if there are no covers).
But I doubt that Tesla could protect from the heavenly waters a freight team of musicians.
Good idea! Love the magnets.

Agreed!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
HardyBro2

HardyBro2

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Musician/Yogi
Country flag
Gigā€™d in the 60ā€™s throughout Midwest with a B3 Leslie and 6 bandmates gear plus lighting, FoH and PA towers.

Go the trailer route. You can pack-up after a practice, hook and go for the weekend. No re-meet tp packout your CT before getting on the road. Trailer flex means a road, friend or other can hook and deliver to your gig - freeing you to fly first class in that CT.

We made an Econoline van work, roadies and friends. That was too small but creativity we had in abundance.
Right on! Thanks for the message. Definitely been thinking about a trailer for a number of years, just need to figure out where I would store it!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Man....totally! I had not even considered the frunk/side pillars for band gear storage. It's gonna be a game changer. Love the sliding, but one thing I am really looking forward to is dropping the tailgate ramp and rolling gear in and out of the truck bed!
I think the frunk and sail pillars are going to be awesome for a band. Big gear like amps and drum kit in the bed, cables and smaller gear in the frunk, and line the 2 sail pillars with foam and just slot the guitars right in. (I kid on that last bitā€¦ mostly).

Having separated storage is super nice for keeping organized.

OP
OP
HardyBro2

HardyBro2

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Musician/Yogi
Country flag
Why not consider a SMALL covered trailer for that stuff? Would make it easer to load/unload I think.
Totally, great idea. I've been thinking about one for a number of years. Just need to figure out where I would store it, but yeah could make things WAY easier

OP
OP
HardyBro2

HardyBro2

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Musician/Yogi
Country flag
Oh you know its coming man!

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
I love the liftgate/tailgate of the Landcruisers of the last 40 years. Liftgate for rain, tailgate to sit on and dangle your legs without a wet/muddy bumper dirtying up the back of your legs!

Hopefully Softopper makes a canvas convertible topper for the Cybertruck. I love the ones I have had on my last 2 trucks. Admittedly it's less necessary with the vault cover. But as easy as it is to install and remove, it would be a great accessory, if it is within ones budget.

Tesla Cybertruck Unloading in the Rain ? 20210828_161827~2

OP
OP
HardyBro2

HardyBro2

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Musician/Yogi
Country flag
I love the liftgate/tailgate of the Landcruisers of the last 40 years. Liftgate for rain, tailgate to sit on and dangle your legs without a wet/muddy bumper dirtying up the back of your legs!

Hopefully Softopper makes a canvas convertible topper for the Cybertruck. I love the ones I have had on my last 2 trucks. Admittedly it's less necessary with the vault cover. But as easy as it is to install and remove, it would be a great accessory, if it is within ones budget.

20210828_161827~2.jpg
Softopper + vault cover could be a great answer. I just wonder how much traditional shaped truck toppers would effect the range of the cybertruck. Thanks!

Michael S

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia, MB S500c
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
I have a shell over the 6ā€™ bed of my 2003 Nissan Frontier. Our band packs all of our music gear into the covered bed of the truck. We are based in Salt Lake City, UT and on occasion will arrive to a gig and unload in the snow and rain. I reserved a dual motor CT a week after they started taking reservations and cannot wait to (hopefully) fly down to giga Austin and pick it up when itā€™s ready. I am trying to imagine how it would work to unload all of our gear in the rain with the the ā€vault coverā€ on my CT. I wonder if I can drop the back suspension a little bit so the bed has a slight downhill tilt to let water run away from the equipment and then roll the cover back a little at a time so the gear we havenā€™t gotten to yet remains dry. Anyone else have similar concerns or thoughts? Thanks! - James
You make an excellent point. What would be easier is if there were simply a hood that flips back to cover the opened vault. That would make a likely aftermarket item.

OP
OP
HardyBro2

HardyBro2

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Musician/Yogi
Country flag
You make an excellent point. What would be easier is if there were simply a hood that flips back to cover the opened vault. That would make a likely aftermarket item.
Totally! I think this would be an amazing option.

Michael S

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia, MB S500c
Occupation
Physician
Country flag

20210828_161827~2.jpg
Wow! Likewise, from a long time Landcruiser and Sequoia owner

Hunter

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tachoma, Jeeps
Occupation
General Contractor, retired / Electronics designer/manufacture & software developer in years past
Country flag
Good question.

Currently I have a truck shell, and a utility trailer which I like for working in any weather. Also both are deliberatly extra height so I can stand up in the utility trailer, and not have to bend over so much in the truck shell, which is hard on my back with heavy materials and tools.

Here's an idea for someone: I think it would be neat to have a shell for the CT that would raise and lower, similar to a pop up camper, but better and designed just for the CT. You could have it down for driving to keep drag down at speed, and then raise it up to be able to get in it for ease of accessing your stuff.

Don't know if anyone will produce such a thing. But if they did I would be a customer for it.

wtibbit

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes sedan, Corvette coupe, Yukon XL
Occupation
Retired Engineering Program Director
Country flag
I ordered the Cybertruck specifically to replace the Yukon XL that I've used for 20 years to haul my music gear - a Hammond XK organ, a Leslie 3300, a digital stage piano and a keyboard amp, plus stands, a drum throne and a couple of cases with misc cables, pedals, mics and stuff. My gear is all in waterproof or resistant covers and cases. I'll just lower the rear of the truck, drop the gate and ramp, roll open the cover and haul the gear out quickly. I thought about a camper cover but (according to my measurement and some educated guesses about the detailed dimensions of the vault) all of my gear will fit under the rolled down cover. I used to haul a full sized console organ and Leslie plus the rest of the gear in a 4x6 trailer that I still have; the only reason to use a difficult-to-park and easy-to-steal trailer rather than some kind of vehicle is if the gear is simply too heavy to lift high enough to load it into the vehicle. I do use a load table table in my garage to unload my Yukon at home. It's just a home-built platform that is the same height as my Yukon's load floor; I drop a hinged ramp from the table to the edge of the truck's floor and roll and slide my gear onto the table. The table may not be needed with the Cybertruck.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I ordered the Cybertruck specifically to replace the Yukon XL that I've used for 20 years to haul my music gear - a Hammond XK organ, a Leslie 3300, a digital stage piano and a keyboard amp, plus stands, a drum throne and a couple of cases with misc cables, pedals, mics and stuff. My gear is all in waterproof or resistant covers and cases. I'll just lower the rear of the truck, drop the gate and ramp, roll open the cover and haul the gear out quickly. I thought about a camper cover but (according to my measurement and some educated guesses about the detailed dimensions of the vault) all of my gear will fit under the rolled down cover. I used to haul a full sized console organ and Leslie plus the rest of the gear in a 4x6 trailer that I still have; the only reason to use a difficult-to-park and easy-to-steal trailer rather than some kind of vehicle is if the gear is simply too heavy to lift high enough to load it into the vehicle. I do use a load table table in my garage to unload my Yukon at home. It's just a home-built platform that is the same height as my Yukon's load floor; I drop a hinged ramp from the table to the edge of the truck's floor and roll and slide my gear onto the table. The table may not be needed with the Cybertruck.
Hadnā€™t really thought about this, but the Cybertruck is the perfect compliment for a band and impromptu outdoor venues.

Roll up, unload the gear, plug your amps, lights, and gear into the truck for power.

Party ON

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Oh, yeah, being able to run sans generator is a big advantage for a venue.

When I first wired together LED lighting and my car battery and solar the guys on the rave circuit were amazed. I would have this bright, comfortable space without the intrusion of the noise from a generator. And it'd run all night!

And in the last morning, I used a panel to recharge a car whose battery went flat ^-^

-Crissa

OP
OP
HardyBro2

HardyBro2

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Musician/Yogi
Country flag
Right on! Thank you so much for the comment. Waterproof cases would solve it and would probably keep us even more organized. Canā€™t tell you how excited I am to roll the gear in and out ?? No more squatting in the bed if my truck under my shell.
Sponsored