Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
A different type of tire that may be great on the CT.

Sponsored

CybrTrkWdWk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor FSD
Occupation
Design, Woodworking
Country flag
Michelin have been touting these type of tires as the future for passenger vehicle tires for 20 years now. Not sure how long Goodyear has been working on these but, they seem to always be for sometime in the future. There must be some serious issues for highway driving or something, otherwise these would be all over the place. Seems mostly suitable for industrial applications at this point.

2Futre4u

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor LR 2019 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Trailboss 1994 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Environmental Scientist
Country flag
They hold onto rocks, ice and mud and would be an absolute pain to keep clean enough (inside) to maintain balance.

PerformanceX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
truck, car, 3 harleys
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Polaris has been putting this type tire on their military off-road vehicles for a number of years.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
As a consequence of questions about towing range elsewhere I have been looking at the various loads presented to the motor(s) in a BEV and never noticed that wheel slip is larger than I had thought. Wheel slip loss can be bigger than drag loss and, thus, management of it is a big factor in maximizing range. Energy is lost in direct proportion to the slip required to deliver the needed thrust and so to maximize range one wants as little slip as possible and that means tires with high longitudinal friction coefficient. Throw out all that engineering jargon and take away the fact that range depends on the tires. Keep this in mind when thinking about alternate wheel/tire types. Obviously there are tradeoffs here. If range is your desire stick with the wheels that maximize range. If you need a special wheel for a special purpose then go with that.

When I ordered my X in December of 2018 there were a couple of wheel options. The standard gave the best range. The spiffier looking (and more expensive) ones reduced range considerably and moaning about this was a popular occupation on some of the forums then.
Sponsored