Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
ByJoey Klender
Posted on December 15, 2021

Tesla is communicating to customers who have ordered now-discontinued variants of vehicles that it will not honor retroactive pricing of the Full Self-Driving suite to when they reserved their vehicle.

In February, Teslarati reported that Tesla would not produce the Model Y Long Range Rear-Wheel-Drive variant. CEO Elon Musk later stated that the reason was that Tesla has ā€œtoo much product complexity already.ā€ However, Tesla had originally planned to honor the price of the FSD suite when customers had reserved their vehicles. For example, if the FSD suite was priced at $7,000 at the time of the reservation, Tesla would only charge the customer $7,000, despite its current $10,000 price tag. This was confirmed by Tesla employees in February.

Tesla officially eliminated the Model Y Long Range RWD earlier this month, finally communicating to reservation holders that it had no plans to produce the vehicle. Tesla advised Model Y LR RWD reservation holders to revise their orders by choosing a vehicle that it currently produces and pay the additional price, as Teslaā€™s vehicle prices have increased since then.

ā€œWeā€™re contacting you regarding your Model Y order [VIN] placed on March 15, 2019. Weā€™d like to help you update your configuration, as we do not build the configuration you originally selected. Weā€™re excited to support you through the process and deliver your reconfigured Model Y at your earliest convenience,ā€ Tesla wrote in an email on December 8th to one Model Y reservation holder, who agreed to pay the additional cost of the vehicle but requested a retroactive FSD pricing as a small discount for having to choose a new vehicle over two-and-a-half years after placing the order.

ā€œI tried to update the design, but the price jumped $20,000! And full-self-driving is now $10K, when I first reserved it, it was less than half that price. Can TESLA honor my original price for FSD since Iā€™m an early adopter?ā€ the reservation holder asked.

However, the reservation holder, who asked to remain anonymous, was told by Tesla staff that the company would not be honoring any old pricing.

ā€œThank you for your note. We will not be honoring any previous pricing. Once you update your configuration it will update to the current pricing,ā€ a Tesla employee told the reservation holder in an emailed statement.

Tesla did not immediately respond for comment.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-will-not-honor-retroactive-full-self-driving-pricing-model-y/
Yeah, Tesla is looking to earn a reputation, not meeting timelines or honoring reservations, dropping features, and dicking over customers, as they jack up prices.
Sponsored

TechOps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, ex-Model S
Country flag
Since everyone is offering their speculation, I 'll jump in. Here are my predictions as of December '21:

• Tri-motor becomes quad-motor
    • CT3 reservation holders are offered an upgrade to CT4, at approximately $10-15k more expensive. ($80-85k)
    • FSD pricing remains the same if you upgrade this way
  • Tri-motor is dropped
  • Quad motor begins production in late '22.
  • Dual motor begins production in mid to late '23
  • Single motor production begins in mid '24 and lasts for 6 months until it's dropped.

flamaest

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
It's a done deal. If Tesla has done the numbers and decided not to take losses on FSD then it's over.
Losses, really? A 7k sale on a non-existent software that will probably not be widely available for the next 5-7 years? I would hardly call that a LOSS.

webroady

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Toyota Scion xB, 2009 F250
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Just a hypothetical: Would you rather get the Tri-motor with the "locked in" FSD price a year after the launch of the quad-motor OR switch to the quad-motor with the "current" FSD price (not saying you have to actually buy it) and get the 4CT in early 2023? I think I would opt for the 4CT without FSD and get it in 2023, myself.
Depends on pricing and range. I really want both max range and FSD. Donā€™t care as much how many motors it has.

CyberG

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 P85+
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Depends on pricing and range. I really want both max range and FSD. Donā€™t care as much how many motors it has.
Iā€™m with you. I donā€™t care about tank turns and other off road gimmicks. Give me rangeā€¦and if that makes it quicker and haul heavier loads, Iā€™ll deal.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
Hold up...

The oil company in question serves as a business front for massive property purchases. Previously it was used to buy Boca Chica. When you come to the table as Elon Musk or SpaceX land prices seem to mysteriously inflate. When you show up as a small shell company (and no one finds out who it really is) prices are suddenly reasonable. Let's not forget that SpaceX needs to buy offshore platforms for future launch and recovery sites. So, buying that with a front oil company helps.

On top of that, the Raptor engine uses methane. If they were to purify and refine their own fuel it would vertically integrate yet another process under the company. They could then pipeline their own methane without using transports or paying an existing oil company for a metered pipe.

So, let's see what the plan is before we start grabbing the pitchforks and torches based on anger derived from poorly cited clickbait title articles.

Found where i first heard about this...

Last edited:

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
I'll just leave this here as a slightly related story: My next door neighbor ordered a Model S and Tesla changed their delivery dates about 3 times until settling on one at the end of the month. The problem is: my neighbor and his wife are on the title of their existing vehicle and both will need to be there to sign the papers. My neighbor is a surgeon and is a partner in their practice and the date that Tesla settled on wouldn't work for both of them to be able to take off of work and drive 2.5 hours to the dealership to pick up the 3. They asked for an extra day or two so that they could actually make it to the dealership and Tesla said no can do. Tesla told them that they could "re enter" their order starting Jan 1 and basically get back in line. My neighbor is furious and I can understand their reaction, but I am also not surprised by Tesla's stance. Model 3s are selling like hotcakes and they want to move as many units by the end of the year as humanly possible. I can't help but wonder if we will be treated similarly with the CT hits the streets. Since folks put in reservations on day 1 over 2 years ago now, I really hope Tesla allows some flexibility in changing configurations and doesn't try to maximize their profit without regard to the loyalty of the folks that have been waiting. In short, I won't be surprised if all bets are off when it comes to honoring the "locked in" FSD pricing if you decide to go from Tri-motor to quad-motor, but I am still (naively?) hoping that isn't the case. I really am gutted for my neighbors, they haven't even gotten their vehicle yet and they already has a sour taste in their mouth when it comes to Tesla's customer service and lack of flexibility in a situation where they could easily allow a day or two since they've moved the delivery date (from end of the year, to February, back to the end of December, near the end of December). As an owner, I feel a bit embarrassed by the way they have been treated, after I talked up how good my experience has been.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Tesla told them that they could "re enter" their order starting Jan 1 and basically get back in line. My neighbor is furious and I can understand their reaction, but I am also not surprised by Tesla's stance.
If you have noticed it yet, #ApartheidElon's success went to his head.

But actually, from my son who used to worked for Tesla, Elon is this kind of bully inside the company -- the reason why he had high turn over of executives and key Tesla professionals, and too, with his wives.

Aces-Truck

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Prius
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I'll just leave this here as a slightly related story: My next door neighbor ordered a Model S and Tesla changed their delivery dates about 3 times until settling on one at the end of the month. The problem is: my neighbor and his wife are on the title of their existing vehicle and both will need to be there to sign the papers. My neighbor is a surgeon and is a partner in their practice and the date that Tesla settled on wouldn't work for both of them to be able to take off of work and drive 2.5 hours to the dealership to pick up the 3. They asked for an extra day or two so that they could actually make it to the dealership and Tesla said no can do. Tesla told them that they could "re enter" their order starting Jan 1 and basically get back in line. My neighbor is furious and I can understand their reaction, but I am also not surprised by Tesla's stance. Model 3s are selling like hotcakes and they want to move as many units by the end of the year as humanly possible. I can't help but wonder if we will be treated similarly with the CT hits the streets. Since folks put in reservations on day 1 over 2 years ago now, I really hope Tesla allows some flexibility in changing configurations and doesn't try to maximize their profit without regard to the loyalty of the folks that have been waiting. In short, I won't be surprised if all bets are off when it comes to honoring the "locked in" FSD pricing if you decide to go from Tri-motor to quad-motor, but I am still (naively?) hoping that isn't the case. I really am gutted for my neighbors, they haven't even gotten their vehicle yet and they already has a sour taste in their mouth when it comes to Tesla's customer service and lack of flexibility in a situation where they could easily allow a day or two since they've moved the delivery date (from end of the year, to February, back to the end of December, near the end of December). As an owner, I feel a bit embarrassed by the way they have been treated, after I talked up how good my experience has been.
I'm surprised your neighbor doesn't just sign a durable power of attorney. They are used all the time in home buying. In fact the escrow companies will create the documents for home purchases. They are specific to the purchase (or sale).

Jim Polkowski

First Name
Jim P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Traverse
Country flag
In 5 years we will have a glut of EV's on the market and competition will drive prices. Once all those new battery plants start pumping out batteries there is no turning back.

Southlandtechie

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
with respect to the CT, at 1.3 million orders, there is definitely an incentive to maximize profits. I can definitely see a scenario where the 40k pickup never comes into production and the dual motor variants get moved to 3-4 years from the start date (assuming a 200k/year run rate). by the time it comes into production, FSD is 20k and they decide not to honor my 7k FSD price.
Sponsored