JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
BTW each sail has a volume of around 150L (5cft) each side, if you can put stuff down to the height of the top of the rear fender. That's another 300L in itself in the rear. Hopefully one of them will be a refrigerated compartment, with an internal hatch, if they're running the HVAC to the bed anyway.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Here you go, just something to get your bearings on, I didn't make it pretty.

The drawer box as drawn is 280L (10cft) and you can see how much space it takes up in the frunk volume as well. An opening frunk lid will probably give it another 100L of volume on top.

"If" the frunk hood takes the grill with up this drawer will be available as an add-on accessory by myself (and probably others) if it doesn't come with it. It's likely that with a frunk hood and grill lift there will be a space under the lip of the bumper and the drawer. Ideal for outdoor camp kitchen or tool storage etc. It might need to taper in a bit for wheel arch clearance. Plenty of space underneath for HVAC and drivetrain suspension etc and the passenger footwell just makes it past the front door hinge, so not problems there either.

Frunk Drawer 1.png
Frunk Drawer Side.png

Frunk Drawer Top.png
Frunk top wouldn’t need to open, that would be where the climate system lives.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Frunk top wouldn’t need to open, that would be where the climate system lives.
The radiator really needs to sit perpendicular to vehicle airflow for best cooling, so I'd expect it to be behind and underneath the height of the bumper where there is heaps of space. (And vents through the bumper itself already)

(BTW this is a full extension drawer, a opening frunk would allow it to come out half as much and you can then still reach the back of the drawer which lives under the drawer)

Last edited:

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Here you go, just something to get your bearings on, I didn't make it pretty.

The drawer box as drawn is 280L (10cft) and you can see how much space it takes up in the frunk volume as well. An opening frunk lid will probably give it another 100L of volume on top.

"If" the frunk hood takes the grill with up this drawer will be available as an add-on accessory by myself (and probably others) if it doesn't come with it. It's likely that with a frunk hood and grill lift there will be a space under the lip of the bumper and the drawer. Ideal for outdoor camp kitchen or tool storage etc. It might need to taper in a bit for wheel arch clearance. Plenty of space underneath for HVAC and drivetrain suspension etc and the passenger footwell just makes it past the front door hinge, so not problems there either.

Frunk Drawer 1.png
Frunk Drawer Side.png

Frunk Drawer Top.png
Thanks for taking the time! An optional slide out kitchen in the frunk is a fantastic idea, much better than having it take space in the bed as showcased in Tesla's official renders. I wonder if they just didn't think of putting it there or maybe it could be an issue for crash safety?

Tesla Cybertruck Side sail area? {filename}

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The radiator really needs to sit perpendicular to vehicle airflow for best cooling, so I'd expect it to be behind and underneath the height of the bumper where there is heaps of space. (And vents through the bumper itself already)

(BTW this is a full extension drawer, a opening frunk would allow it to come out half as much and you can then still reach the back of the drawer which lives under the drawer)
The bio-weapon defense system/ HEPA filter system is a huge filter which sites horizontal in the top of the frunk area.

Tesla Cybertruck Side sail area? 1644779703374

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The bio-weapon defense system/ HEPA filter system is a huge filter which sites horizontal in the top of the frunk area.
Those filters don't require much airflow, unlike the radiator, and can be placed anywhere in any orientation with some ducting. I'd imagine that on the CT they will prioritise the frunk under the hood and move that tyype of stuff underneath the frunk or dash, as access to it is only limited.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The radiator is tiny, and is diagonal to the motion of the car beneath that.

It is perpendicular to the air motion, not the car. There's no reason for it to be a plow pushing through the wind, this isn't a burning ICE engine.

-Crissa

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The radiator is tiny, and is diagonal to the motion of the car beneath that.

It is perpendicular to the air motion, not the car. There's no reason for it to be a plow pushing through the wind, this isn't a burning ICE engine.

-Crissa
It is still sizable, in fact it has two radiators back to back in that assembly, as it still needs to dissipate all the interior and motor/electronics heat which will be around 50kW, similar to a compact ICE car radiator. This is because it has some 10x the power of a compact ICE car. This is how it is mounted in the Plaid with airflow being ducted through the Plaid front bumper. It sits directly under the frunk tub.

Tesla Cybertruck Side sail area? Plaid S Teardown Frunk.JPG

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Those filters don't require much airflow, unlike the radiator, and can be placed anywhere in any orientation with some ducting. I'd imagine that on the CT they will prioritise the frunk under the hood and move that tyype of stuff underneath the frunk or dash, as access to it is only limited.
Yeah, this is why I was saying they would tuck under the hood easily.

Regardless, as cool as I think the drawer would be, seem like a very long shot

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
The hinge is inside the door opening from the top like they showed at the reveal. Probably no latch like you see on gas cover doors. And it senses your key to unlock. Then you push in to release the latch. It's very hard to see the bottom of the sail door, which "should" be where the angle is.

Edit, here's a frame grab that shows the bottom of the sail storage door. It takes a HD video to see it.

Tesla Cybertruck Side sail area? {filename}
Another reason I love this thing! Sail storage. Confirmed.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I can see it !!!!! My rods have a home.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Something pops up in the drawer preventing full slide out. Hunched over, trying to reach in to clear the jam while high school kids round the corner and catch me mid clear fisting the front of the truck…

Eh… too old to care about high school kids laughing at me. Now if my wife caught me, she would grab pics and spam her friends before I can say, ”let me explain”.

Why we need a hood to pop up too. Or, fold down front to the drawer. I think we will just end up with the hood.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Something pops up in the drawer preventing full slide out. Hunched over, trying to reach in to clear the jam while HIG school kids round the corner and catch me mid clear fisting the front of the truck…

Eh… too old to care about high school kids laughing at me. Now if my wife caught me, she would grab pics and spam her friends before I can say, ”let me explain”.

Why we need a hood to pop up too. Or, fold down front to the drawer. I think we will just end up with the hood.
Yeah… drawers won’t work. Even if they would otherwise, we need to spare the internet the trauma of images of John fisting his truck…