CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
It's possible the picture does show the cover fully rolled up. If you go through the patent you will see more pictures that also includes the motor that would operate the cover. Without the motor shown in that picture we can't really say if it's fully rolled up or not.

We also have to think about possible changes since the patent, while they wouldn't change the design entirely, it's possible that they could make changes that would allow the cover to be further rolled into the truck to allow a midgate. I'm sure we are right around the corner to finally seeing the final Cybertruck product that will answer most of our questions.

I really hope they make a mid gate work. As someone who does a lot of short range travel for work, it would be my hotel. I also do a lot of camping where a midgate would make things so much more comfortable for me. Seeing that Tesla vehicles already have camper mode and the Cybertruck obviously will be the ultimate Tesla camper with the tent and kitchen package, i'm sure they have strongly considered the midgate and we'll just have to see if it could be done.
Sponsored

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
On the topic of a solar option. I'm wondering if the solar option will be on every truck and just software locked unless you pay for it, similar to rear heated seats.

I think this would be possible because Tesla have done this a lot in their cars where they have found it cheaper to just make the one option, put it in the car, and software lock it. The alternative is making two different parts, adding another step to the line while building a car, and then it's a costly upgrade for the customer if they later decide to install it.

However this depends a lot on how much it costs Tesla to produce a Solar piece of the cover compared to non-solar. Some people also might prefer the look without the solar option and not need it at all.

I would hope for the first option, just to have more cybertrucks on the road self charging as much as they can and for a reduced cost for people who want to upgrade.

Hunter

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tachoma, Jeeps
Occupation
General Contractor, retired / Electronics designer/manufacture & software developer in years past
Country flag
I really hope this solar charging becomes a reality - with my commute, I'd never have to plug the thing in.
I don't know for sure, but I think the solar panel of that size (even at 100% efficiency, which is impossible) would only be able to trickle charge the CT, like to keep the natural battery losses to a minimum. No where near enough power to drive it.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
On the topic of a solar option. I'm wondering if the solar option will be on every truck and just software locked unless you pay for it, similar to rear heated seats.
It would be weird. Solar panels produce energy and age while exposed to light, whether or not you want them to. So they would still be dying while 'off' and producing a charge. It wouldn't make sense.

They would probably just be adhesive strips on the tonneau slats, anyhow. Aside from plugging each one in, it would not be a difficult install. Like putting on decals or the wrap.

1. Daily commuting where I need to charge 20-30kms of range per day. Between truck-mounted moving mini-panels and home roof-mounted large panels, I would expect the home panels to be...
Yes and no. Home mounted panels will produce energy during the day, when you're commuted away. The truck panels would
always charge your truck. Even while you drive. The truck panels also won't suffer as much conversion loss, being designed specifically for that purpose, nor needing to be put into a battery and then back out into a different battery...

-Crissa

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
I agree with you but it appears the tent is not sealed.

Someone else mentioned this in a different thread but I could see Tesla putting vents instead of a midgate.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I don't know for sure, but I think the solar panel of that size (even at 100% efficiency, which is impossible) would only be able to trickle charge the CT, like to keep the natural battery losses to a minimum. No where near enough power to drive it.
Of course 100% efficiency is impossible.

But today commonly avail panels are 22% and 550W panels that are 2 meter by 1 meter.

Three panels on Cybertruck roof & tonneau cover would yield about 1.2KW per hour.
That is a lot more than just a trickle charge.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Of course 100% efficiency is impossible.

But today commonly avail panels are 22% and 550W panels that are 2 meter by 1 meter.

Three panels on Cybertruck roof & tonneau cover would yield about 1.2KW per hour.
That is a lot more than just a trickle charge.
The 550W is at FSE (full sun equivalent). Arround here (northern Virginia) we get between 3 and 5 hours of FSE in a day depending on season. Take the panels 550 W at the maximum power point and convert it to the 400 V necessary to charge the battery and you are at 500 W (which is an easy number to work with for sure). Times 3 is 1.5 kWh per hour for 3 panels times 3 - 5 is 4.5 - 6.5 kWh/day. That's equivalent to 9 - 13 miles a day realized if the truck is always pointed south (in the northern hemisphere) on a ramp which puts the normal about 51° above the horizon (40 ° Lat). Thus clearly it is, as Telsa determined years ago, not worth doing. But people really want it! Which means they will buy it (I probably would silly though I know it to be) and so why not sell it or at least patent it?

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Correct, most people would not buy this for $2,000-$4,500 for normal cost savings versus paying for charging.

But there is another type of savings some people would pay even $4,000 for.
Help during a minor or major disaster.

This is especially for the millions & millions of Tesla owners who live in mostly sunny climates who go camping, over-landing or off-roading.

Sunny Spring/Summer/Fall Scenerio:
You drive to a remote site and you plan to have enough charge for the activities there (some requiring Cybertruck to power various devices. cooking, TV, computer, StarLink, CyberQuad, etc) and have enough for the Cybertruck return trip. The site has no electrical services and there are no other vehicles to get power from. There are multiple people in your group.
So what is the disaster? Someone or everyone uses too much power and you find yourself in a situation where you can not return and make it to the next closest charging location (even if just a local friendly farm house owner's measly 110V outlet).

Note: Yes Yes, you could have set Cybertruck to stop discharging but what if you thought you set the shutoff value but you forgot or did not do it right, or someone else turned it off or maybe there is a neighbor EV nearby that needs a little charge, etc, etc, etc. Or just more trips with CyberQuad.

So whatever the cause you got a problem. Your options now:

1. Call a tow truck or other service to bring you some juice (power). generator or power pack.
You hope it is a real ICE tow truck & not a Ford F-150 Hybirid!
How much will the tow service charge for power? $100, $200, more

2. What if tow service has no power source and they will only offer to actually tow the Cybertruck!
How much will actual tow cost? $300, $400, $500, $ thousands

Oh, and what if your cell phone is out of juice (or fell in the lake, dog ate it, etc) or there is no cell service at the remote location. So you can not do options 1 or 2 even if you had the money to pay.

3. You paid for the solar option for the Cybertruck. You were on vacation anyway. Relax for another day or two. You and Cybertruck (hopefully @15mi/day) soak up some sun. Then later both of you (you & Cybertruck), (OK and also take the idiot/idiots who left the lights on, juiced the CyberQuad too many times, or whatever :), ride off under the midday sun in search of another overload (oops, I meant charging station).
Yes, I would easily pay $2,000-$3000 for a $15mi/day solar option. Paying $3,000 - $4,500 would get serious consideration too.

If you will be in areas with no grid & no solar, paying $2,000-$2,500 for 15/day solar option is almost a no brainer. Pay more takes much more consideration.
this is good......I would consider a dual motor instead of the tri-motor if the solar panel cost was $2500-$4500 option.....that would save me $20,000 on the Cybertruck and an actual $15.5 savings.....This would be really good for me......

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
The 550W is at FSE (full sun equivalent). Around here (northern Virginia) we get between 3 and 5 hours of FSE in a day depending on season. Take the panels 550 W at the maximum power point and convert it to the 400 V necessary to charge the battery and you are at 500 W (which is an easy number to work with for sure). Times 3 is 1.5 kWh per hour for 3 panels times 3 - 5 is 4.5 - 6.5 kWh/day. That's equivalent to 9 - 13 miles a day realized if the truck is always pointed south (in the northern hemisphere) on a ramp which puts the normal about 51° above the horizon (40 ° Lat).
Some places receive much more FCE during a typical summer day than others (factor of 2).
In Southern California, Florida, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas there is much more FCE than some places in Virginia, New York, Vermont, Oregon.

Thus clearly it is, as Telsa determined years ago, not worth doing.
Yes, maybe years ago that was true. But things change. Costs change. Priorities change.

Solar panel & EV battery prices continue to fall.

Part of first principle thinking is to re-evaluate things when the situation changes.
Mass market long range EV were not possible in 1980s. In 2020s long range EVs will be commonplace.

Maybe Cybertruck solar is not worth it to you where you live in rainy Virginia but there are millions of others who live or vacation in locations with higher FSE, and might be remote with no grid.

Historical not that long ago (1940s), half of all U.S. farmers did not have electricity from grid.

The price people are willing to pay for 1 KwH of electricity varies widely by place, time, situation (ie out of juice and no place to plug-in).

I could see paying $2,000 - 3,000 for Cybertruck solar option as economically justified for where I plan to drive & situations I might encounter. Not because of fashion or fad.

About 25% of people in U.S. live in high FSE areas (Southern California, Florida, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas). Over 80 million people. These are also some of the places with the highest per capita vehicle miles driven because these states have much less mass transit systems.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
In the calculations above (two posts back) I forgot to mention phantom drain. Your truck will burn up about 9 miles per day just sitting. This level of solar might just cover that so that if at a camp site for a week and you didn't take anything from the bed outlets you might recover some of the 63 miles that you would otherwise lose to phantom.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
In the calculations above (two posts back) I forgot to mention phantom drain. Your truck will burn up about 9 miles per day just sitting. This level of solar might just cover that so that if at a camp site for a week and you didn't take anything from the bed outlets you might recover some of the 63 miles that you would otherwise lose to phantom.
Not just camp sites. I have had to leave my car for 3 weeks in airport parking. If I had solar on Cybertruck I would not have to try and find a parking lot that has chargers (there might not even be an option at any of the lots), or pay extra for parking spot with charger or trust attendant to plug my truck in.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Some places receive much more FCE during a typical summer day than others (factor of 2).
In Southern California, Florida, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas there is much more FCE than some places in Virginia, New York, Vermont, Oregon.
That's why I based my calculations on a nominal, mid lattitude, mesic location where we get 5 hrs per day. In the Arizona desert you can get 7. That's not a factor of 2. Of course in some perpetually cloudy place where you only get 2 it's even dumber than it is under normal conditions.

Yes, maybe years ago that was true. But things change. Costs change. Priorities change.
There's been some precession of the equinoxes but solar ephemeris hasn't changed much. PV cells are a little cheaper, MPPT is now de rigeur and cell and inverter are now a little more efficient. Three years ago you could get 9 mi per day. Now you can get 10. So exciting!

Solar panel & EV battery prices continue to fall.
There is no way to justify this on an engineering or economic basis but that isn't what this is all about. A toneau with solar cells in it is wicked cool. If you want it get it. I want it and I'll doubtless get it. The difference between me and thee is that I won't deceive myself that I will ever recover the cost or that this is in any way a practical decision but I won't tell Mrs. that. I will never recover the cost of the solar on my roof but I love having it.

Part of first principle thinking.... transit systems.
You are doing a super job of convincing yourself that this is practical. I'd say just admit that it is super cool, that you want it and you are going to get it.

Can you help me justify the slide out kitchen for my Rivian?
Sponsored

Last edited: