John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Perhaps, It has got to be far cheaper to manufacture that on the rolling bed cover as well a more durable location design. Overall area of coverage would appear to be about the same vs the tonneau.
I want solar in both positions
Sponsored

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
Anyone else think this rear glass is too dark to be tint? Almost like its... solar cells.

Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 10.02.02 AM.png
well, rear glass can have limo tint and pass anywhere I think, but this might be a solar test truck. Cool if it is.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Anyone else think this rear glass is too dark to be tint? Almost like its... solar cells.

No, they have a tiny or reflection on their glass roofs, even my 2013 S is tinted. I don't think the solar option is going to be available in the beginning. Just my opinion.

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag

Unless they've developed the highest efficiency cells out there, this isn't enough real estate for the cells to generate much energy. However, it would make more sense for the static "glass" roof to house the cells: integrating solar cells into the tonneau would create a situation where you would potentially get wire wear or fray/possible crimping when the tonneau is activated. I know there has been a lot of speculation regarding transparent solar cells that you could see through. Maybe the windshield glass AND the roof glass will utilize transparent cells? (I know, wishful thinking!)

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, CT Tri/Quad FSD
Occupation
Head of Technology (SW, DevOps, IT, Security)
Country flag
Or possibly the bed cover allowing for easier bed/cabin pass through.
Actually yeah that would be more likely. I would rather have a workable passthrough than PV cells on rear glass.

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Country flag
Not a matter of depth. Just the fact that in a normal truck the fridge is flush with the truck bed wall which helps stabilize it a bit. With this, the fridge will be sort of floating in the middle of the bed with only one contact point where the roof touches it.

Not a huge deal, just a bit awkward.
Most of the time when I see folks moving fridges they are in the middle of the bed on a regular truck, and held in place by a series of ratchet straps hooked to the rings in the corners of the bed.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
well, rear glass can have limo tint and pass anywhere I think, but this might be a solar test truck. Cool if it is.
This is not the rear window, this is the roof. The rear window is in the vault with the bed.

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Unless they've developed the highest efficiency cells out there, this isn't enough real estate for the cells to generate much energy. However, it would make more sense for the static "glass" roof to house the cells: integrating solar cells into the tonneau would create a situation where you would potentially get wire wear or fray/possible crimping when the tonneau is activated. I know there has been a lot of speculation regarding transparent solar cells that you could see through. Maybe the windshield glass AND the roof glass will utilize transparent cells? (I know, wishful thinking!)
That would be the dream! Definitely wishful thinking. But there is enough real estate - take a look at the Aptera they fit 700W (!!!) of solar on that tiny 3-wheeled car.

exdxgxe4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Call me crazy, but I don't like any of the changes. Curved glass aligning with smooth glass? Looks wonky to me. That bed looks shorter, my guess is 6'. No one wants a smaller frunk, and even if the inside capacity is the same, you've now made it harder to load larger items.

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Country flag
This is not the rear window, this is the roof. The rear window is in the vault with the bed.
Technically you don't need to have any visibility through the rear or the roof.

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
A couple quick thoughts.
  • Front end is definitely a bit shorter. That wasn’t just an optical illusion.
  • Big ass wiper on the driver side.
  • Door handle gone
  • Curved front window looks hot.
  • Is it just me or is the top of the cabin smaller?

1639157496497.jpeg

cybertruck-wipers.jpg

cybertruck-top.jpg

cybertruck-mirrors.jpg

cybertruck-front.jpg

1639157514962.png

FGQwzubXsAYdL6r.png

1639158906288.jpeg
Shortened overall length not just front. No way the bed is over 6ft now, but thats actually ok. I want to park in the damn garage, and all of the competitors best selling configurations are far and away crew cab with 5.5' bed. Love the wheels, glad there are mirrors, not a huge fan of the massive long bow wiper. You can see the "trunk" under the bed lid, the likely composite bed liner like most of the competition etc. All in all this is the most information we've gotten since launch! Thanks to whomever took the drone pics.

peacemakerjpg

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor CYberTruck
Occupation
Sales of Contracts Providing Access to Contingent Finances
Country flag
DO we think that is the resting place for the wiper? I guess it would maybe make sense since the windshield is now curved and it's so long. But it does seem like a visual hindrance where its sitting in this video

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That would be the dream! Definitely wishful thinking. But there is enough real estate - take a look at the Aptera they fit 700W (!!!) of solar on that tiny 3-wheeled car.
For example:
Tesla Cybertruck ? [Update: NOT Production Wiper] New Cybertruck design spied! Shortened front, no door handles, side mirrors, curved windshield glass! [Dec. 10] Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 10.20.52 AM