Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The roof of the Cybertruck is likely lower than the Tacoma roof because it slopes down and the rear passengers sit lower relative to the bed than in the Tacoma.

This is a very specific issue to worry overmuch about on a truck which is months from delivery.
Tesla Cybertruck ? [Update: NOT Production Wiper] New Cybertruck design spied! Shortened front, no door handles, side mirrors, curved windshield glass! [Dec. 10] 1639520439104

Also a very big concern of mine as makes truck worthless if cant hold at least 2 dirt bikes - as every single production truck before it has been able to do, without exception! This is a GMC2500 with 6.5' bed!
Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
To give you an example. This is my 2019 Beta 430 RR-S. It has a 21" tire. This is a typical dual sport or dirt bike. The fender is not directly on the tire as you can tell. Based on the design we see with the CyberTruck, it looks to have a fit issue. For reference this is a 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport.

53C1C6F1-7023-4605-8CE7-FFDE97BD41A2_1_105_c.jpeg
When the CT arrives, you could try backing it in. If you are a few inches shy, also could try airing down tries since there is an onboard compressor.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
1639520439104.jpeg

Also a very big concern of mine as makes truck worthless if cant hold at least 2 dirt bikes - as every single production truck before it has been able to do, without exception! This is a GMC2500 with 6.5' bed!
Totally get why would would want it suitable for your use Case. I just meant it’s a little too early to get worried about it. We won’t really know one way or the other until we have the final specs. If they revise the specs and the bed length is 4.5’ and the lip bumps into your rear tire… that would piss me off too.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Uhh, even with a ramp, I do not think I can back it in.

Some of the newer EV bikes come with a reverse which is super-handy.

-Crissa
Just put the ramp on the front of the truck, roll over the top and do a little wheelie drop into the bed. Then you can use the handy reverse to back into your spot.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Uhh, even with a ramp, I do not think I can back it in.

Some of the newer EV bikes come with a reverse which is super-handy.

-Crissa
Park down hill to back the bike in. Block and pulley. You sit on the bike and your spouse reverses the CT quickly. Before getting crazy, it may fit while front loading.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Seems to me the vast majority of trucks end up with some kind of bed liner regardless. Why not just start with the composite material and not waste time with the metal surface?

It’s no big deal either way.
lighter too....= more range.....hahahahaha

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
That photo doesn't show the fit issue. Like I said, your fender is probably already a foot back at that height.

And yes, I know offroad bikes use flying fenders so they don't cake with mud.

-Crissa
The fender is almost touching the back window. Maybe 3” to 4”. Here is a better view.

Tesla Cybertruck ? [Update: NOT Production Wiper] New Cybertruck design spied! Shortened front, no door handles, side mirrors, curved windshield glass! [Dec. 10] 1639524112720

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
When the CT arrives, you could try backing it in. If you are a few inches shy, also could try airing down tries since there is an onboard compressor.
Backing in a 252 lbs bike is not an easy thing as one person, even if the Cybertruck has a built in ramp. And most bikes are more than 252 lbs, so it gets worse with weight. If the pictures we have seen recently are true, my solution would be to put some sort of block that raises the tire high enough to where the fender would clear the overhang. I would rather not do that.

The key thing about loading a motorcycle in a truck is getting that front tire to press against the cabin wall for no rolling forward, no handlebar turning while transport and also to get as much of the bike in the bed as possible. Every person who has a motorcycle would love to load a bike with ease, strap it down and be able to close the tailgate. At 6.5 foot bed, it would not be able to close unless you turn the wheel or angle the bike a little. But if you have multiple bikes like the person above, every bike needs to be straight.

If for some reason I could not transport a single bike with the Cybertruck, I would not buy it. I could do a hitch holder/lift, but people with trucks don't do that unless they plan to have the bed fully consumed. Hitches are for cars and SUV's.

I guess, we will see.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The fender is almost touching the back window. Maybe 3” to 4”. Here is a better view.

1639524112720.jpeg
That's a pretty big fender for such small wheels. They don't usually stick out as far as the tire.

Maybe fit the overhang between the wheel and the fender in that case...

-Crissa

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
That's a pretty big fender for such small wheels. They don't usually stick out as far as the tire.

Maybe fit the overhang between the wheel and the fender in that case...

-Crissa
That is a normal 21" wheel (and the biggest wheel you can buy). Almost all off-road bikes have a 21" wheel. All the dirt bikes or sub 500cc dual sport bikes have fenders like that. The larger bikes that are more road focused have the fender close to the tire. The off-road bikes need the high fender. Because if you have a low fender and you go off-road in muddy conditions, your tire will get completely caked with mud. Then the tire cannot clear the mud and you get stuck.

But like I said, that is a normal fender for a dirt bike.

Tesla Cybertruck ? [Update: NOT Production Wiper] New Cybertruck design spied! Shortened front, no door handles, side mirrors, curved windshield glass! [Dec. 10] C83ECB4D-581B-4378-8FF4-2E0BD5F4FD1F_1_105_c

Last edited:

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Backing in a 252 lbs bike is not an easy thing as one person, even if the Cybertruck has a built in ramp. And most bikes are more than 252 lbs, so it gets worse with weight. If the pictures we have seen recently are true, my solution would be to put some sort of block that raises the tire high enough to where the fender would clear the overhang. I would rather not do that.
I’m with you and am no stranger to the process. while I do not recommend, I am also no stranger to popping the front wheel up while standing and walk it up with power to reverse a bike. Don’t recommend for others To do and I will not do this anymore myself.

The main part of the suggestion would be to get the tire under the overhang and fender over. The problem may resolve with a 2x4 under front tire to give you enough play when tying down.

Also quick disconnect mod for the front fender may be an option.

Last edited:

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, CT Tri/Quad FSD
Occupation
Head of Technology (SW, DevOps, IT, Security)
Country flag
Yep exactly. But with a solid sliding vault cover stowed under the rear roof, you'd get both midgate plus hard vault cover plus easy 1kW of solar, and a gear tunnel similar to the Rivian if you wanted too under the bed where the vault cover was rolled up. Win win.

Need to petition this to EM somehow.
If we get anything close to 700W+ we'll be lucky (still hoping for 1kW!). Personally I think they will only be able to achieve 500W but there's a lot you can do with that power. Assuming 5 usable sun hours in day between 500W-700W you could see upwards of 2.5kwh-3.5kwh of energy produced.

You could run Starlink, computer, LED lights, etc. basically indefinitely without needing shore power. Not to mention a literal gigantic battery to store the surplus...