Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Not true. Elon tweeted in answer to this question, yes. Not the when but the if.
My no was to whether anyone knows when. Not if. Cue the hundreds of threads asking how/when to change their reservation as if anyone on here knows. ;)
Sponsored

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Bait and switch is when a company advertises goods at an incredibly low price with the aim of substituting for them with inferior or pricier alternatives at the time of purchase. therefore by definition this is not bait and switch.
If Tesla offered a $50k RWD CT in the beginning, then said ā€œSorry, weā€™re not actually making that one, hereā€™s a $60k AWD insteadā€. Wouldnā€™t that be Bait nā€™ Switch?
I donā€™t know if thatā€™s going to happen, my guess is no. But I believe that would constitute Bait nā€˜ Switch.

Don't think Tesla will use the Plaid carbon-wrapped rotor motor in the CT. Not necessary and just adds expense.

But who knows......I could be wrong on that.
Agreed, I could be wrong also, but I thought one of the main advantages of using induction motors instead of PM motors is permanent magnets are expensive.

Lekrow

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid CyberTruck
Country flag
If Tesla offered a $50k RWD CT in the beginning, then said ā€œSorry, weā€™re not actually making that one, hereā€™s a $60k AWD insteadā€. Wouldnā€™t that be Bait nā€™ Switch?
I donā€™t know if thatā€™s going to happen, my guess is no. But I believe that would constitute Bait nā€˜ Switch.

Agreed, I could be wrong also, but I thought one of the main advantages of using induction motors instead of PM motors is permanent magnets are expensive.
Everyone who pre-ordered a CT agreed to the following terms that state both final configuration and final pricing will be finalized at a later date.

1) Vehicle Configuration: The Vehicle Configuration will be confirmed with you at a later date. It will describe the vehicle that you configure,
including pricing (excluding taxes and official or government fees).

2) Final Price Sheet: The Final Price Sheet will be provided to you as your delivery date nears. It will include final pricing based on your Vehicle
Configuration and will include taxes and official or governmental fees.

Pre-Order Price, Taxes and Official Fees. The pre-order price of the Vehicle will be confirmed in your Vehicle Configuration and Final Price Sheet. As you
may have only configured part of your Vehicle, any pre-order price provided to you in advance of the Final Price Sheet is only being offered to you as an estimate and is subject to change.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Everyone who pre-ordered a CT agreed to the following terms that state both final configuration and final pricing will be finalized at a later date.

1) Vehicle Configuration: The Vehicle Configuration will be confirmed with you at a later date. It will describe the vehicle that you configure,
including pricing (excluding taxes and official or government fees).

2) Final Price Sheet: The Final Price Sheet will be provided to you as your delivery date nears. It will include final pricing based on your Vehicle
Configuration and will include taxes and official or governmental fees.

Pre-Order Price, Taxes and Official Fees. The pre-order price of the Vehicle will be confirmed in your Vehicle Configuration and Final Price Sheet. As you
may have only configured part of your Vehicle, any pre-order price provided to you in advance of the Final Price Sheet is only being offered to you as an estimate and is subject to change.
Not sure I understand your point.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Not sure I understand your point.
His point is that final configuration and pricing was written in the reservation as to be determined at a later date. Bait and switch involves a product available for purchase at a set price, neither of which is applicable to a CT reservation - or as I think is more accurate, an indication of interest.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
His point is that final configuration and pricing was written in the reservation as to be determined at a later date. Bait and switch involves a product available for purchase at a set price, neither of which is applicable to a CT reservation - or as I think is more accurate, an indication of interest.
First, it canā€™t be available. If it was available for purchase, it wouldnā€™t be a switch. The part that makes it wrong is it was advertised, but not available.

If Tesla guaranteed the price but then changed it, that would be flat out contract violation. Not Bait nā€˜ Switch.

Bait nā€˜ Switch is an advertising tactic. Tesla did advertise the RWD at $40k. If that got you ā€œin the storeā€ but then they said, ā€œSorry weā€™re out of those, hereā€™s a more expensive versionā€. That is Bait nā€™ Switch, as I understand it.

edit: Changed incorrect $50k to $40k for price of RWD CT.

Last edited:

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
What if the tweets mean:

tri motor swapped with quad, same price point
reaffirming instead of starting production with single and dual, production now starts with quad and duo?

quad steering is standard
solar is an option
yoke standard
price point remains the same
no spare
tire upgrades are an option
FSD is honored at reserved price point
production starts next year
You can get SS finish or SS finish and be provided 3rd party referrals for wraps
I keep my legroom
Austin facility pickup and tour is arranged

I feel better

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Don't think Tesla will use the Plaid carbon-wrapped rotor motor in the CT. Not necessary and just adds expense.

But who knows......I could be wrong on that.
Well, that was the reasoning for the existence of the tri motor Cybertruck. It was the same drive train as the Plaid Model S.

But now that they've decided to go with positive independent traction control and torque vectoring, we have no idea what they're using. I think maybe the Plaid could do it, but I'm not sure.

But to attain the high efficiency and torque at high speed, you do need the carbon-wrapped rotors and the independent single fixed gear at a different ratio - one that's set for lower top speed but more torque. That's why the Cybertruck has a top speed at most 3/4 what the Model S Plaid's is.

Basically, what we're looking at is probably a double-Plaid implementation of some sort.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
The bait and switch here is all the people that come join for friendly conversation and commiseration during the wait but then only whine and complain about Tesla somehow cheating them out of a deal that hasn't even been struck yet. All without any cause other than their own imagination.

Buckle up buttercup. We are in for a long ride. Till we get the final details and the offer of what is actually for sale, everything is wishful thinking and hopeful ideas. Stop worrying your pretty little head with all your personal evil demons. They cannot help you now.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not true. Elon tweeted in answer to this question, yes. Not the when but the if.
The question was the when, which the answer is no, we don't know when the great shuffle will begin.

Elon said the timeline will be announced in the call in January.

Bait nā€˜ Switch is an advertising tactic. Tesla did advertise the RWD at $50k. If that got you ā€œin the storeā€ but then they said, ā€œSorry weā€™re out of those, hereā€™s a more expensive versionā€. That is Bait nā€™ Switch, as I understand it.
The single-motor was $39,990. But they only took reservations, not orders. Since we don't have a date, or and order, we've never been baited or switched. You could say they chummed the water to see if there were fish in the water.

But there was no hook. They didn't start the buying process, we lost no time coming in, trading in our other car, etc. Tesla hasn't given us a time to show up for our trucks. So there's no line or hook so no switch.

-Crissa

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Implicit in the very definition of "bait and switch" is the idea of "baiting" which implies pre-meditation. I think in the case of a revolutionary product like the Cybertruck, undergoing rapid development, it's more than clear that any changes that may or may not actually happen were not premeditated but were the result of rapid product development.

If anyone wants to put on their tin foil hat and claim Tesla planned this all, in order to trick reservationists starting years ago (back in 2019 when the Cybertriuck was first revealed to the public), then be my guest. You will have plenty of company of tin foil hat wearers. Because there is a small army of unhappy people out there that like to twist the truth in any way they think they can to reflect poorly on Elon and company. It's really weird.

In other words, no, it's obvious this is not a "bait and switch" but a natural progression of engineering design on a leading-edge product.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Basically, what we're looking at is probably a double-Plaid implementation of some sort.
No need for the Plaid carbon-fiber wrapped motor that's needed for the high RPM's. Plaid and Roadster only need this special motor design.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
he single-motor was $39,990. But they only took reservations, not orders. Since we don't have a date, or and order, we've never been baited or switched. You could say they chummed the water to see if there were fish in the water.

But there was no hook. They didn't start the buying process, we lost no time coming in, trading in our other car, etc. Tesla hasn't given us a time to show up for our trucks. So there's no line or hook so no switch.

-Crissa
Implicit in the very definition of "bait and switch" is the idea of "baiting" which implies pre-meditation. I think in the case of a revolutionary product like the Cybertruck, undergoing rapid development, it's more than clear that any changes that may or may not actually happen were not premeditated but were the result of rapid product development
First, I meant $40k not $50k. Sorry for the mistype.

Second. Sorry for the confusion. I was only clarifying the meaning of ā€œbait nā€™ Switchā€. I do not think Tesla will intentionally try to deceive anyone. However itā€™ s hard to prove intention. If thereā€™s even the appearance of intention to be deceitful that could be bad. I think Tesla might keep the $40k single motor if not for any other reason than to avoid appearing deceitful. Or, ? Offer the dual motor at $40k.

edit: Fixed mixed tense

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No need for the Plaid carbon-fiber wrapped motor that's needed for the high RPM's. Plaid and Roadster only need this special motor design.
When you gear down, the motor is still going fast, but the wheels are not.

That's how you increase torque.

-Crissa

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
But then about the torque......hmmmm

Reviewing this Tweet

Elon says : "We have a few ideas for increasing torque & max rpm even further for new Roadster. Definitely fun & exciting engineering ahead!"

I have to think that the "increasing torque" could apply to the Cybertruck as well.
Sponsored