www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
What if the tweets mean:

tri motor swapped with quad, same price point
reaffirming instead of starting production with single and dual, production now starts with quad and duo?

quad steering is standard
solar is an option
yoke standard
price point remains the same
no spare
tire upgrades are an option
FSD is honored at reserved price point
production starts next year
You can get SS finish or SS finish and be provided 3rd party referrals for wraps
I keep my legroom
Austin facility pickup and tour is arranged

I feel better
That is how I choose to interpret it, but my interpretation is all but meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
Sponsored

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
First, it canā€™t be available. If it was available for purchase, it wouldnā€™t be a switch. The part that makes it wrong is it was advertised, but not available.

If Tesla guaranteed the price but then changed it, that would be flat out contract violation. Not Bait nā€˜ Switch.

Bait nā€˜ Switch is an advertising tactic. Tesla did advertise the RWD at $40k. If that got you ā€œin the storeā€ but then they said, ā€œSorry weā€™re out of those, hereā€™s a more expensive versionā€. That is Bait nā€™ Switch, as I understand it.

edit: Changed incorrect $50k to $40k for price of RWD CT.
again, it was not available for purchase and the reservation agreement clearly stated final configuration and price subject to change.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
I think Tesla might keep the $40k single motor if not for any other reason than to avoid appearing deceitful. Or, ? Offer the dual motor at $40k.

edit: Fixed mixed tense
I tend to agree on this and on another post I mentioned something similar where the dual motor could replace the single motor version at the same price point but software lock some of the duals extra features such as range and speed with those features being unlockable with a fee that would bring it back to dual pricing. This method makes everyone happy sort of. It makes the original purchaser happy because of zero cost increases and it creates a cash flow avenue down the road for Tesla that once the user is "hooked" they can with a flip of a switch allow the user to gain an upgrade. This could be important as well for another reason in that these CT's should in theory outlast most legacy trucks by a large margin and make it easier on the consumer to purchase Tesla again without the upfront costs of purchasing an entire new vehicle with Tesla banking on it happening. Tesla has some Model S's that had larger battery packs in the past than they were sold as and allowed the owners to "upgrade" in this same fashion so this would not be new to them to implement. With Tesla being a "Tech" company this is a very normal and common practice for software and really no different than the way FSD option works.

Lastly it could to some extent solve a buyers remorse scenario where they owner had wished they would have gone up one model but are to vested beyond being able to change. A happy customer is a good thing when you have no PR department.

Last edited:

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
again, it was not available for purchase and the reservation agreement clearly stated final configuration and price subject to change.
Again, it not being available for purchase is exactly what is needed to be Bait-and-Switch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait-and-switch

Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud used in retail sales but also employed in other contexts. First, customers are "baited" by merchants' advertising products or services at a low price, but when customers visit the store, they discover that the advertised goods are not available, or the customers are pressured by salespeople to consider similar, but higher-priced items ("switching").
Again, Iā€™m not saying Tesla is intentionally trying to deceive us. But IF they advertised a $40k vehicle but when you go to buy it, itā€™s not available but they offer a more expensive option. That looks VERY much like bait-and-switch.

Stating the final price is subject to change keeps them from being sued for contract violation. It has nothing to do with Bait-and-switch. Bait and switch has to do with what was advertised.

The Wikipedia link above does a better job explaining it than I do.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Again, it not being available for purchase is exactly what is needed to be Bait-and-Switch.

Again, Iā€™m not saying Tesla is intentionally trying to deceive us. But IF they advertised a $40k vehicle but when you go to buy it, itā€™s not available but they offer a more expensive option. That looks VERY much like bait-and-switch.

Stating the final price is subject to change keeps them from being sued for contract violation. It has nothing to do with Bait-and-switch. Bait and switch has to do with what was advertised.

Short Version: If you were told it was available (i.e., come and get it) and then turned out to not be available then you may have a case for bait-and-switch, I firmly believe the precedence must exist which it does not.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
pĢ¶rĢ¶iĢ¶uĢ¶sĢ¶ cĢ¶,Ģ¶ yĢ¶oĢ¶tĢ¶aĢ¶ pĢ¶iĢ¶cĢ¶kĢ¶uĢ¶p, ā¼•äø«ā»?å°ŗć‚»å°ŗć„©ā¼•é•æ
Country flag
When you gear down, the motor is still going fast, but the wheels are not.

That's how you increase torque.

-Crissa
personally I increase torque in a heftier way, but ill leave that to your imagination

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag

I'll just give up explaining

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag

it isn't available... simple as that.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Short Version: If you were told it was available (i.e., come and get it) and then turned out to not be available then you may have a case for bait-and-switch, I firmly believe the precedence must exist which it does not.
I agree it's not bait and switch because the intent was not there. But I think it's really odd we are even discussing "bait and switch" when Tesla has not announced anything that could be construed as such. All they've done is announce an additional offering. Plus, even if they eliminate the Tri-motor in favor of the quad motor, and offer it with the same price and specs, it couldn't be bait and switch. How's that going to sound in a court of law: "Your honor, we were told we were only getting three motors but they gave us four motors for the same price".

It's a lot like the people moaning and groaning about the higher price when Tesla has not announced higher prices. Next thing you know they will be accusing someone of becoming a child abuser in the future. Not because that person abuses children, but because they think they might in the future. But all they have to go on is that they volunteered to be the Little League coach. Huh?

Even if Tesla raises the prices, it can't be bait and switch because our reservation agreements clearly give Tesla the right to raise the price. We acknowledged the price was not necessarily fixed when we placed the reservation. For all of these reasons the very discussion of "bait and switch" is just ridiculous. Here's the relevant portion right from my original reservation agreement:

" The pre-order price of the Vehicle will be confirmed in your Vehicle Configuration and Final Price Sheet. As you may have only configured part of your Vehicle, any pre-order price provided to you in advance of the Final Price Sheet is only being offered to you as an estimate and is subject to change."

Other relevant portions of the agreement all reservationists signed:

" You understand that Tesla may not have completed the development of Cybertruck or begun manufacturing Cybertruck at the time you entered into this Agreement and so we do not guarantee when your Vehicle will actually be delivered."

and:

" We may also cancel your pre-order and refund your Pre-Order Payment if we discontinue a product, feature or option afer the time you place your pre-order "

It amazes me that people will sign a document and then complain about it after they have agreed to it!

Last edited:

OP
OP
Albern

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
While I don't know all of the practical use cases for crab walk, it is pretty cool!!

This is Rivian's version of quad motor tank turn:

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Itā€™s more like the dealership ā€œloss leaderā€ concept. That ultra low price stripped down model they run ads for in the paper, but they only had one and when you get there, they up sell you on what they have.

itā€™s how I got my ā€˜ā€™86 Toyota for 8k, just happened to walk in on Thursday right after they drove it off the docks.

Eye of Elon

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
I'll make my price predictions for our future selves to judge.

The single motor will become the software throttled dual motor for 40k

The dual motor will be 50k

The tri motor will go extinct because 90% of the tri motor buyers won't be happy driving the second best.

The 4 motor will be 80k

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I'll make my price predictions for our future selves to judge.

The single motor will become the software throttled dual motor for 40k

The dual motor will be 50k

The tri motor will go extinct because 90% of the tri motor buyers won't be happy driving the second best.

The 4 motor will be 80k
i could handle that