HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I'll make my price predictions for our future selves to judge.

The single motor will become the software throttled dual motor for 40k

The dual motor will be 50k

The tri motor will go extinct because 90% of the tri motor buyers won't be happy driving the second best.

The 4 motor will be 80k
I like the general way you think but I have a little different take:

I'm guessing there will be two Quad motor models, the top of the line 2.9 second 0-60 mph capable of towing 14K lbs., 500+ miles of range that will replace the Tri-motor, at the same price point ($69K). It will come with all the bells and whistles announced at the reveal but some of the features announced after the reveal like crab mode, tank mode and other extras not listed during the reveal, some of them will be add-on options, probably all in one upgrade package.

The other version with Quad motors will replace the dual motor with 4.5 second 0-60 capable of towing at least 10K lbs., 300+ mile range and all the bells and whistles announced at the reveal for the same price as the Dual motor ($49K). It will also have an options upgrade package, maybe two, with the recently announced features. It will also be upgradable to the maximum range of the highest spec Quad motor.

The Single Motor has always (in my opinion) been years out, not until after they fulfill the order backlog for higher spec models. This might take as long as 2-4 years as new orders for higher spec models will take precedence over reservations for the entry level model. That will still be true, but eventually the single motor will be released as a dual motor with two rear motors and will meet or beat the range and performance announced for the entry-level model at the reveal. It will still be $39K, even though initial production/deliveries will not start for at least a couple of years.

Basically, Tesla will meet or beat all announced specs and price points for all models and offer some of the latest features recently leaked by Elon in optional upgrade packages. And the dual and Tri motors will both be upgraded to quad motor and the single motor to dual motor all at no extra charge.

Of course this is just one way of many that Tesla could do it but, knowing how Tesla operates, it's my best guess as to how it might unfold. Optional upgrade packages might be as much as $10K-$20K but the bellyaching can stop because they won't include any of the originally announced features when we made our reservations.

And if it unfolds like this, all versions will be screaming good deals because of the generous list of extras included in the base price (Supercharger Network, motorized rolling tonneau cover, rust proof body capable of stopping 9mm rounds, 'metal glass' windshield, impact resistant side windows, on-board air compressor hose, on-board 120V and 240V power, tailgate ramp, fully adjustable ride height with 'kneeling' mode for ease of loading/unloading heavy items, huge ground clearance and approach/departure angles, sport car-like handling (at least when compared to the Rivian, Hummer and Lightning), best in class range, etc, etc, etc,
Sponsored

Last edited:

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I like the general way you think but I have a little different take:

I'm guessing there will be two Quad motor models, the 2.9 second 0-60 mph capable of towing 14K lbs., 500+ miles of range that will replace the Tri-motor, at the same price point ($69K). It will come with all the bells and whistles announced at the reveal but some of the features announced after the reveal like crab mode, tank mode and other extras not listed during the reveal, some of them will be add-on options, probably all in one upgrade package.

The other version with Quad motors will replace the dual motor with 4.5 second 0-60 capable of towing at least 10K lbs., 300+ mile range and all the bells and whistles announced at the reveal for the same price as the Dual motor ($49K). It will also have an options upgrade package, maybe two, with the recently announced features. It will also be upgradable to the maximum range of the highest spec Quad motor.

The Single Motor has always (in my opinion) been years out, not until after they fulfill the order backlog for higher spec models. This might take as long as 2-4 years as new orders for higher spec models will take precedence over reservations for the entry level model. That will still be true, but eventually the single motor will be released as a dual motor with two rear motors and will meet or beat the range and performance announced for the entry-level model at the reveal. It will still be $39K, even though initial production/deliveries will not start for at least a couple of years.

Basically, Tesla will meet or beat all announced specs and price points for all models and offer some of the latest features recently leaked by Elon in optional upgrade packages. And the dual and Tri motors will both be upgraded to quad motor at no extra charge.

Of course this is just one way of many that Tesla could do it but, knowing how Tesla operates, it's my best guess as to how it might unfold.

And if it unfolds like this, all versions will be screaming good deals because of the generous list of options included in the base price (Supercharger Network, motorized rolling tonneau cover, rust proof body capable of stopping 9mm rounds, 'metal glass' windshield, impact resistant side windows, on-board air compressor hose, on-board 120V and 240V power, tailgate ramp, fully adjustable ride height with 'kneeling' mode for ease of loading/unloading heavy items, huge ground clearance and approach/departure angles, sport car-like handling (at least when compared to the Rivian, Hummer and Lightning), best in class range, etc, etc, etc,
I would love this! I've also been contemplating this as their solution cause it means they can upsell everyone at any point without forcing a whole new vehicle onto people who can't afford to throw money around like some on here.

Cause then I could buy the dual motor and eventually upgrade to quad motor features and performance after a couple years!

Love it.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
What every forgets is the Original CT reveal was ;literally a prototype with nothing save the basic design...

becuase Elon wanted to reveal it the day of that movie thing, uh forgot the name of it...blade runner. realistically the CT should have been revealed around now.

also 4 wheel steering could mean an actual boat mode?

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
What every forgets is the Original CT reveal was ;literally a prototype with nothing save the basic design...

becuase Elon wanted to reveal it the day of that movie thing, uh forgot the name of it...blade runner. realistically the CT should have been revealed around now.

A boat mode would be cool but if I were Tesla I would probably avoid going there because a "Boat Mode" would explicitly approve using it as a boat. They can't really say "Only use it as a boat 4 or 5 times" and water has widely varying potential for corrosion due to chlorides, pH, and other contaminants. The risk of leakage to electrical components that will be under the waterline and later corrode within the warranty period is too great.

You know every Cybertruck owner would be showing it off all summer long. ?

Probably best to keep it as a unapproved "feature" without a dedicated mode. :cool:

Balthezor

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, 2020 Model Y
Country flag

What? Blade Runner 2049 came out in 2017... Great movie.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
What? Blade Runner 2049 came out in 2017... Great movie.
blade runner 1982... theres a scene i think the intro .... The unveiling was scheduled for 21 November 2019 at the Tesla Design Studio, next to SpaceX headquarters in Los Angeles—the same month, year and location that the movie Blade Runner was set in
-wikipedia

Last edited:

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Correct. Simple bait and switch.
Jeezus Murphy....no.... it isn't available as in they aren't even building any - none...zero...zilch..... they don't exist... it's a configuration concept. it's bait and switch if they're rolling off the production and they tell you to come down and get one.... and then they aren't available when you get there.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
EDIT** Confirmed by Elon himself!!

From a few reliable sources in conjunction with the recent release of CT-related merchandise and the anticipation of a supposed 12/9 announcement, there's speculation that there will be a Quad-Motor variant. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on a 4-motor set up and it's benefits over a tri-motor configuration. I'm wondering if it is also in response to the off-road capabilities of Rivian's R1T with its 4-motors.

Additionally, there is speculation that the single-motor variant will be dropped; such that CT motor configurations will consist of dual, tri, and quad once it enters production.

I'm planning on making the switch from tri-motor to quad-motor if it happens. Maybe it's the Plaid+ that I'm still hoping for. :D (y) ? Anyone else feeling the same way?

I think is is funny that people are assuming that this might mean more range. The CT3 was most likely designed to maximize the entire potential battery compartment area. Baring battery tech that is actually better than what Tesla projected forward at the time of release I don't see it. The S Plaid actually has less range than the S Long Range. CT4 might be the same.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I dont know what to think of this.. seems to be getting away from the whole less is more attitude. I cant help but think the truck was meant to be super simple and easy to manufacture and just got a ton of complexity added in. Its really exciting and I'm all for building the CT better.. but I am fearful it will come at the expense of my wallet being even lighter.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I agree it's not bait and switch because the intent was not there. But I think it's really odd we are even discussing "bait and switch" when Tesla has not announced anything that could be construed as such. All they've done is announce an additional offering. Plus, even if they eliminate the Tri-motor in favor of the quad motor, and offer it with the same price and specs, it couldn't be bait and switch. How's that going to sound in a court of law: "Your honor, we were told we were only getting three motors but they gave us four motors for the same price".

It's a lot like the people moaning and groaning about the higher price when Tesla has not announced higher prices. Next thing you know they will be accusing someone of becoming a child abuser in the future. Not because that person abuses children, but because they think they might in the future. But all they have to go on is that they volunteered to be the Little League coach. Huh?

Even if Tesla raises the prices, it can't be bait and switch because our reservation agreements clearly give Tesla the right to raise the price. We acknowledged the price was not necessarily fixed when we placed the reservation. For all of these reasons the very discussion of "bait and switch" is just ridiculous. Here's the relevant portion right from my original reservation agreement:

" The pre-order price of the Vehicle will be confirmed in your Vehicle Configuration and Final Price Sheet. As you may have only configured part of your Vehicle, any pre-order price provided to you in advance of the Final Price Sheet is only being offered to you as an estimate and is subject to change."

Other relevant portions of the agreement all reservationists signed:

" You understand that Tesla may not have completed the development of Cybertruck or begun manufacturing Cybertruck at the time you entered into this Agreement and so we do not guarantee when your Vehicle will actually be delivered."

and:

" We may also cancel your pre-order and refund your Pre-Order Payment if we discontinue a product, feature or option afer the time you place your pre-order "

It amazes me that people will sign a document and then complain about it after they have agreed to it!
We cannot blame people for not trusting Tesla when we/they live in a world of bait and switch, and where virtually every person and company would sell their grandmother for a profit. In my experience Elon Musk and Tesla just don't operate like that (I don't) and I trust them. I do not want the price of my Cybertruck to go up but if it does then I believe it will be absolutely necessary and I do not view it as bait and switch regardless of whether technically it could fall into that designation.

People tend to view others in the light that they themselves cast; if they don't trust someone in some way then maybe it is because they could not be trusted in that way. Just saying...

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
People tend to view others in the light that they themselves cast; if they don't trust someone in some way then maybe it is because they could not be trusted in that way. Just saying...
This is what has me so sad about what I’m seeing. I’m no happy-go-lucky positivity addict. But the way people are reacting to this news of 4 motors is just horrible. It’s no wonder I find very few people that I truly want to have deep meaningful conversations with.
Sponsored