Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I would consider it bait and switch if Tesla accepted our deposit for a truck then increased prices by $20,000. Or if they removed the single motor optionleaving people who paid for a reservation with no recourse other than spending massively more.

I don’t think that’s very likely, but definitely seems like a classic bait and switch to me.

I don’t think Rivian’s tank turn is though.
I'm expecting that once Rivian finally starts making actual customer deliveries, there are going to be a bunch of videos out where people are angry because they try to do a tank turn and can't get it to happen. Some will be asking the sales staff how to do a tank turn. Some will be trying to do all sorts of crazy stuff to make it happen all to no avail. And then there will be the obligatory video of a new owner crying because after taking delivery, they find out that tank turn isn't actually a thing for Rivian anymore.

I get that the Rivian story is they wanted to deliver the feature but once it was under development they couldn't find a way to make it work safely. But one could also say that Rivian was desperate for a way to get attention in the heyday of Cybertruck so they did the tank turn video and were very successful in getting that desired attention. But then when it comes time to start shipping the truck, they just put out a little press release stating that the feature is delayed. So they baited buyers with the feature but then switched to an inferior product that does not have the desired functionality at all.
Sponsored

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
You’re gonna have to give some context to where you got those numbers in order for me to debate. I’m running numbers based on other Tesla vehicles announcements and actual release cost, percentage of increases, software development, and a number of other variables. It’s a low ball guestimation but that’s my opinion.
The OP forgot the drive axle in the calculation. I did something similar, but bottom line Tesla is going to price anything over what they suggested at the reveal according to supply and demand, market share, manufacturing scale efficiencies etc.

JeffnReno

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y LR with tow package
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't care about 0-60 times or crab walking capabilities. The only reason I bumped my reservation from a dual-motor to a tri-motor was the range of >500 miles. If I'm locked into a quad motor to get that or more range and it cost a reasonable amount, then so be it. If they offer a dual-motor (since I do want AWD) with >500 miles of range, I'll op for that even if it's slower and don't crab walk. I keep my Rwd LR Model 3 in Chill mode 99% of the time and don't really have an urgent need for a truck but having one to replace our ICE Rogue in bad weather and only having BEVs in the garage would be nice.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I'm expecting that once Rivian finally starts making actual customer deliveries, there are going to be a bunch of videos out where people are angry because they try to do a tank turn and can't get it to happen. Some will be asking the sales staff how to do a tank turn. Some will be trying to do all sorts of crazy stuff to make it happen all to no avail. And then there will be the obligatory video of a new owner crying because after taking delivery, they find out that tank turn isn't actually a thing for Rivian anymore.

I get that the Rivian story is they wanted to deliver the feature but once it was under development they couldn't find a way to make it work safely. But one could also say that Rivian was desperate for a way to get attention in the heyday of Cybertruck so they did the tank turn video and were very successful in getting that desired attention. But then when it comes time to start shipping the truck, they just put out a little press release stating that the feature is delayed. So they baited buyers with the feature but then switched to an inferior product that does not have the desired functionality at all.
Rivian already delayed the Tank Turn back in Sept. Here's an article about that on Motor Trend.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/why-rivian-tank-turn-stationary-spin-feature-is-delayed/

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
I ordered the tri-motor to get that 500 mile range. Something tells me the 4 motor version will not provide ehanced range.
Not saying it will but having an extra motor to provide additional braking regeneration along with the added efficiency during acceleration could increase range without increasing battery pack size. Tesla mentioned this when they went from single motor to dual motor a ways back.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Not saying it will but having an extra motor to provide additional braking regeneration along with the added efficiency during acceleration could increase range without increasing battery pack size. Tesla mentioned this when they went from single motor to dual motor a ways back.
As far a regen is concerned a third motor for regen braking might be irrelevant.

The bottleneck with regen might be the battery.

At extreme speeds or heavy loads with quick stops, two motors might already be capable of creating more regen than the battery can accept.

I think this situation is happening with the new Model S Plaid too.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
As far a regen is concerned a third motor for regen braking might be irrelevant.

The bottleneck with regen might be the battery.

At extreme speeds or heavy loads with quick stops, two motors might already be capable of creating more regen than the battery can accept.

I think this situation is happening with the new Model S Plaid too.
They key will be if the new 4680's will change that.

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I think no matter what way you slice this...it is a smart move for Tesla. Moving to 4 independent motors at each wheel open up the future for them. The interesting thing everyone is experiencing for the FIRST TIME is seeing Tesla reacting to the competition. I think competition is always a good thing.

I think people are upset because it comes down to money & time. For every $1 the Cybertruck goes up in price, it will have an impact on how many people buy it. I think they needed to "thin the herd" a bit and this is a great opportunity to do that. Hopefully they will thin it even more by calling for a $5K to $10K deposit starting June 1, 2022.

Once deposits calls hit, you will see a dramatic drop in the number of reservations. Once they are required to secure the total amount (finance, etc.), you will see another drop off in reservations.

It is a mathematical certainty.

Tesla Cybertruck ? Quad Motor Cybertruck and Crab Walk (Independent Front & Rear Wheel Steering) Confirmed!! 1638832166497

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think people are upset because it comes down to money & time. For every $1 the Cybertruck goes up in price, it will have an impact on how many people buy it. I think they needed to "thin the herd" a bit and this is a great opportunity to do that.
They do not want to “thin the herd”. They‘ve spent about a billion dollars building a facility to fill that demand.

Tesla built a factory to build 500k+ trucks per year (likely over 750k). Pricing the truck so hundreds of thousands of people drop their orders means Tesla will quickly end up with unused capacity which is the enemy of efficiency.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I think no matter what way you slice this...it is a smart move for Tesla. Moving to 4 independent m

Once deposits calls hit, you will see a dramatic drop in the number of reservations. Once they are required to secure the total amount (finance, etc.), you will see another drop off in reservations.

It is a mathematical certainty.
What's more relevant than how many people drop off the reservation list when their turn comes is how many new people jump on the reservation list. I believe very strongly that as the Cybertruck starts hitting the streets, and more people get exposure to it, the same thing will happen that happened with Models 3 and Y. Namely, that delivering new vehicles to the buyers stoked more new demand than the demand filled. When people get exposed to Tesla, or even get to drive one, they can see first-hand how many lies were spread about Tesla's products, that they are not shoddily built, cheap, tiny cars, and it's not long before they are buying one for themselves. Tesla's products are their advertising. Basically, Teslas advertising campaign doesn't even begin until the product starts showing up in large numbers.

That's why the waiting list for Models 3 and Y is ten times as large now as the original reservation backlog. The same thing will happen with the Cybertruck. The number of people who cancel their reservations is immaterial as long as Tesla can sell them faster than they can make them.

The only way cancellations matter is they can help us get our Cybertrucks sooner!

Last edited:

No-mo-ice

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
Occupation
Aerospace Engineering
Country flag
Modern day bait and switch. It doesn’t look good for Tesla to take a price range that many can afford, put them on hold for 2 years, to a bigger and better truck that will cost way way more…… so for all the fans that thought they were getting the best in the world, just found out it’s second best, and only a few can afford it.

Dave Lyon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
Occupation
entrepreneur
Country flag
Cybertruck doing "zero turn ( point turn) would completely trump Rivian tank turn.
That would be soooo handy for me. I've got a massive trailer, and I frequent old campgrounds that just weren't made for a trailer this size. If I could spin the truck in its own axis, it would be much easier to get into tight spots. I'm worried that with a 4000 lb tongue weight, a tank turn on payvment might be really hard on tires.
Sponsored