Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
What about my contract? I have a legal document with a down payment stating an agreement between myself and Tesla for a certain vehicle. I see a class-action lawsuit coming.
no you don't. read it. it says very clearly configuration and price are subject to change.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I would consider it bait and switch if Tesla accepted our deposit for a truck then increased prices by $20,000. Or if they removed the single motor option—leaving people who paid for a reservation with no recourse other than spending massively more.

I don’t think that’s very likely, but definitely seems like a classic bait and switch to me.

I don’t think Rivian’s tank turn is though.
once they are taking deposits it means price and configuration are set and you write a contract for your production to begin; that's a big difference than $100 to showcase your interest.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
“Switch” implies they’ve removed some option from the table which isn’t really clear from the current news.

Lots of people assume they have, but it’s a giant pile of assumptions right now.
no-mo doesn't understand bait and switch either.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
The difference is you don't need to buy the quad motor or put it in crabwalk mode but a Mercedes EV will always be a Mercedes EV. Anyone who thinks it's promising has been being spoon-fed by Mercedes marketing arm and automotive press (one and the same really).

People are so gullible.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
You don't build the worlds largest car manufacturing plant for vaporware. Nobody predicted a pandemic and the delays that they brought upon the planet. The speed with which they built GigaAustin was still incredible. Alpha and Beta testing should have happened sooner. But getting 4 wheel steering and some of the other surprises yet to be announced will be worth the wait. (It is still coming in about the time I predicted just because I am a realistic pessimist as far as cars come.)

Tri-Motorhead

First Name
Clifton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla 3, 2008 Toyota FJ
Occupation
Transportation
Country flag
This announcement was such a cool B-Day Present! Name may be Tri-Motorhead though I am now ordering a QUAD!

How to I change my user name?

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
This announcement was such a cool B-Day Present! Name may be Tri-Motorhead though I am now ordering a QUAD!

How to I change my user name?
Contact the administrator and they will put you into the CT witness protection program and change your moniker.

Lekrow

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid CyberTruck
Country flag
4 independent motors allow the truck to do true torque vectoring which will give significant benefits over simple AWD + LSD for stability and traction control.

Rear-wheel steering will help the truck control trailer sway, reduce excessive lateral force on occupants during sharp turns and significantly reduce the turning radius at all speeds.

I do agree crabwalk is a novel feature, but imo it is a side-affect of the tech and not the product.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
i wanted the 500 miles range but not for 100k . Getting pressure from the wife now on model Y +tow option +new trailer.

we’ll see.
Get the MY either way... My wife loves it and when I told her I still am getting the CT she looked sad for a moment and asked if that meant selling our MY. It turns out the correct answer is no- you will still have YOUR car (and thanks for letting me drive it sometimes).

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Get the MY either way... My wife loves it and when I told her I still am getting the CT she looked sad for a moment and asked if that meant selling our MY. It turns out the correct answer is no- you will still have YOUR car (and thanks for letting me drive it sometimes).
well my wife has her own model 3 and not giving it up!

rlhamil

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Trans Am WS6, 2007 PT Cruiser GT
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Tank turn and crab walk do nothing for me. You can keep them for parlor tricks.
For such a wide vehicle, they'd help a lot once one had some practice in an empty parking lot with no curb stones. Maybe buy four to six soft traffic cones, and set them up to make the practice a bit better; also have a tape measure with the length and width of the vehicle marked, to set them up with just enough room to spare for maneuvers.

Sounds silly? Not so much. I used to practice in the snow in empty lots when I got another vehicle, so that if things got interesting on the road, I'd already know how it would react. With the Cybertruck (esp. quad motor), I suppose traction would NOT be a problem except maybe on un-sanded sheet ice; but the tight maneuver practice, esp. given maneuvering options that prior experience would not prepare one for, would likely be useful.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
For such a wide vehicle, they'd help a lot once one had some practice in an empty parking lot with no curb stones. Maybe buy four to six soft traffic cones, and set them up to make the practice a bit better; also have a tape measure with the length and width of the vehicle marked, to set them up with just enough room to spare for maneuvers.

Sounds silly? Not so much. I used to practice in the snow in empty lots when I got another vehicle, so that if things got interesting on the road, I'd already know how it would react. With the Cybertruck (esp. quad motor), I suppose traction would NOT be a problem except maybe on un-sanded sheet ice; but the tight maneuver practice, esp. given maneuvering options that prior experience would not prepare one for, would likely be useful.
Tank turn will destroy your tires on a parking lot. Like doing a 45 second burnout, really bad. If you are on a gravel road, it will damage the road surface and your tires both. Damage is comparable to doing a really tight donut. If I used tank turn to flip around when out doing trail work, the local forest manager would not be happy with me.

Having 4 wheel steering will be a huge game changer in parking lots… but I don’t see crab mode being that important. Crab mode moves you sideways. The problem you have in parking lots is generally not moving sideways, but turning 90 degrees. That’s just basic 4WS no crabs involved.

Crab mode might be interesting for parallel parking, but only if there is nobody in the stall behind where you want to park.

Thrust vectoring and 4 wheel steering are the interesting bits. Tank turn and crab walk are parlor tricks designed to showcase those features and of little practical value otherwise.
Sponsored