Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Trans Am WS6, 2007 PT Cruiser GT
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Tank turn will destroy your tires on a parking lot. Like doing a 45 second burnout, really bad. If you are on a gravel road, it will damage the road surface and your tires both. Damage is comparable to doing a really tight donut. If I used tank turn to flip around when out doing trail work, the local forest manager would not be happy with me.

Having 4 wheel steering will be a huge game changer in parking lotsā€¦ but I donā€™t see crab mode being that important. Crab mode moves you sideways. The problem you have in parking lots is generally not moving sideways, but turning 90 degrees. Thatā€™s just basic 4WS no crabs involved.

Crab mode might be interesting for parallel parking, but only if there is nobody in the stall behind where you want to park.

Thrust vectoring and 4 wheel steering are the interesting bits. Tank turn and crab walk are parlor tricks designed to showcase those features and of little practical value otherwise.
I can see that it would be bad if not done slowly; but slow enough, I don't see the problem, assuming it can be done slowly (should be possible with the amount of torque available). Should be better on wet pavement, which would both cool and slide a bit.

It'd be neat if left and right as well as front and back wheels could steer separately; then it could arrange the wheels in a diamond pattern, which would allow pivoting on a spot with something closer to rolling than grinding motion. :)
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I always wondered why a 4 motors version was not planned. Rivian boasted it. I think this time Elon wants to destroy the competitors. More insane things will be revealed for sure
Could it be that it will be easier getting power to both rear wheels with independent motors? It may simplify the manufacturing and will get rid of the differential back there for sure. I know, the electric motor is more expensive and weighs more. But, does it weigh THAT much more than the differential and associated axle parts? It could be that the electric motor saves almost enough weight to be a wash and could simplify assembly and parts cost to be a wash as well. Hmm... Got me to thinking.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I can see that it would be bad if not done slowly; but slow enough, I don't see the problem, assuming it can be done slowly (should be possible with the amount of torque available). Should be better on wet pavement, which would both cool and slide a bit.

It'd be neat if left and right as well as front and back wheels could steer separately; then it could arrange the wheels in a diamond pattern, which would allow pivoting on a spot with something closer to rolling than grinding motion. :)
The diamond pattern might help, but I still think it would require breaking traction which would be rough on the wheels. If it only works well on gravel or wet pavement, thatā€™s a sure sign you are destroying gear.

Hope Tesla doesnā€˜t invest much in chasing it myself.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Having parked and owned 8 or 9 pickups through the years, mostly Fords, from F150 through F450, I can tell you the F450 that I had (with the mono-beam front end) was the tightest turning of the bunch despite being the largest and longest one including the 2018 F150 I drive now. Of all the features in all the trucks I had, that tight turning radius was the single best feature. I one time made a U-turn on a two-lane road at an intersection without getting off the pavement. Man, that thing would turn sharp. It made parking so much easier. Anyway, I'm really psyched about the 4-wheel steering and the associated crab-walk that goes with it. It'll be so much easier scootching it over in the garage as I park as close to one wall as I can get when backing in. Exciting times, these are!

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I used to practice in the snow in empty lots when I got another vehicle, so that if things got interesting on the road, I'd already know how it would react.
I also would do this. In vehicles pre-antilock brakes and pre-traction control it was very helpful. ABS and traction control took all the fun out of it.

In the right snow/ice covered parking lot, tank turn and skid steer would be a blast.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I also would do this. In vehicles pre-antilock brakes and pre-traction control it was very helpful. ABS and traction control took all the fun out of it.

In the right snow/ice covered parking lot, tank turn and skid steer would be a blast.
Definitely did my fair share of this. We would also tie a rope to the hitch and grab a snowboard and whip people around the lot on their snowboards like they were wakeboarding. Fun times!

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
ABS made practicing safe, tho ^-^

-Crissa
Well... SafER.

Bad planning and poor execution can still trump ABS. And lots of parking lots have large poles in the middle for lights. Those concrete bases make for a very quick way to stop a slide or fun donut.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Well... SafER.

Bad planning and poor execution can still trump ABS. And lots of parking lots have large poles in the middle for lights. Those concrete bases make for a very quick way to stop a slide or fun donut.
My station wagon in high school had a nice dented rear fender from one of those pesky concrete bases. Jumped right up in front of me when I was doing donuts in reverse!

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
My station wagon in high school had a nice dented rear fender from one of those pesky concrete bases. Jumped right up in front of me when I was doing donuts in reverse!
I once had a stone wall jump out and bite the front passenger side of my vehicle. That pesky wall was just not obeying the laws of physics for some reason. Had absolutely nothing to do with my emotional state resulting from a girlfriend breaking up with me minutes before the drive. Had even less to do with the fact I was driving somewhere I was completely unfamiliar with, at night, on a very curvy road, with dips, way too fast.

Crazy stone wall...

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Tank turn and crab walk do nothing for me. You can keep them for parlor tricks.
Also sounds like more parts to maintain to me. Rear suspensions and breaks usually last a long time but with rear steering and even more power to those back wheels on a heavy vehicle that will definitely wear faster.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Tank turn will destroy your tires on a parking lot. Like doing a 45 second burnout, really bad. If you are on a gravel road, it will damage the road surface and your tires both. Damage is comparable to doing a really tight donut. If I used tank turn to flip around when out doing trail work, the local forest manager would not be happy with me.

Having 4 wheel steering will be a huge game changer in parking lotsā€¦ but I donā€™t see crab mode being that important. Crab mode moves you sideways. The problem you have in parking lots is generally not moving sideways, but turning 90 degrees. Thatā€™s just basic 4WS no crabs involved.

Crab mode might be interesting for parallel parking, but only if there is nobody in the stall behind where you want to park.

Thrust vectoring and 4 wheel steering are the interesting bits. Tank turn and crab walk are parlor tricks designed to showcase those features and of little practical value otherwise.
If the wheels donā€™t have to stay parallel it wonā€™t be an issue. Like if the front right tire can turn towards 315 degrees and the front left turns 45 degrees and the rear does the opposite and wheels turn different direction from the right side of the car to the left it would be great. I am very curious how the back wheels get turned. It canā€™t be a rack and pinion type and mat be a turn by wire setup. I doubt they will have or are allowed to have wired servos do the turning.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
The F-150 Lightnings that people actually take delivery of in the first year, most of them will be around $80K to over $90K with inferior specs to cheaper Cybertrucks. You lament higher prices without any confirmation from Tesla. Seems like you are putting the cart before the horse.
I am quoting about $2,000,000,000 in construction this year and itā€™s all going up at least 15%. There is no reason the CT would be exempt and all the other Tesla vehicles have gone up at least that much. It is going up.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I am quoting about $2,000,000,000 in construction this year and itā€™s all going up at least 15%. There is no reason the CT would be exempt and all the other Tesla vehicles have gone up at least that much. It is going up.
To make such a statement you would need to know what kind of margins Tesla based the reservation prices on, what percent was materials costs and how important it is to them to sell initial production at a profit. They may have room to absorb the increase in the price of raw materials. Pricing in the auto business is quite a bit different from the construction industry. There is a good chance Tesla will honor the reservation prices and, if need be due to excessive inflation, raise them for new orders. That might be the reason Tesla stopped including price estimates with new reservations.

What I'm recommending is that you wait until Tesla reveals the pricing before claiming it has gone up for existing reservations. It might go up for new orders but not for existing reservations. In fact, Tesla has never refused to honor the reservation prices with other models and they are now in a stronger financial position than ever before.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Tesla vehicles went up because demand did. Not because costs went up.

If costs went up, profits per car would have gone down. They've gone up, instead.

-Crissa

Also, Tesla would have bought the majority of the raw materials before they announced the truck. Otherwise they couldn't guess the price accurately.
Sponsored