Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Exactly, I have ZERO desire to have a massive truck that can go 0-60 in under 3 sec.
Early on, I was NOT wanting to be one of the early owners of a Cybertruck. Because it felt like it would be like driving a supercar around, way more attention than I seek. But now here we are 2 years after I threw my $100 into the ring, and thinking it could be 2 more years of waiting doesn't sound too good. I'll have to digest this a bit.
In a way it would be great to see the first Cybertrucks on the road are a Supertruck. As soon as they come out, the world will be totally blown away!

I don't want that kind of attention, so I'll just wait for my tamed version of THE BEAST!
Until prices/ timelines come out we’re still more or less in the dark.

Don’t get too frustrated just yet.

Wish this had come out when TSLA was kicking ass instead of today… then I’d be more optimistic about this all.
Sponsored

Smokehouse Brown

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Willis
Occupation
Rocket Surgeon
Country flag
Elon. Master of the dangling carrot. Fool me twice and that's on my dumb ass. Wonder if Tesla will refund holders with interest ? Coincidence he finally comes out with information when the stock is tanking. If he delays too much he risks loosing customers to Ford or GM. Rivian I think is more the casual pickup user market. Me. I need to haul stuff. I think Tesla will come out with about 25 - 75 trucks in fall of next year just to keep everyone interested long enough to delay till about 23 or 24. Anyone else care to guess their schedule?

Fvansan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma and pre-ordered a cybertruck dual motor
Occupation
Retired Psychiatric Social Worker
Country flag
I have a couple thoughts....first COMPETITION IS GOOD. Thank you Rivian for putting the pressure on Tesla and lighting a bit more fire under them to make this a possibility.

Secondly, I think this is more about Tesla being locked into hundreds of thousands of orders that are now two years old and are at prices that are just as old. With inflation, logistics constraints and time, they're looking for a way to get all these people to give up their (now) cheaply priced 3 motor variants and upgrade to a new truck with updated 2022 pricing. This is part evil, part genius as I imagine most tri-motor reservation holders will want the best and first truck produced. If they were to stick with their better priced tri-motor then they would not only have the 2nd best CT, but they'd be put to the end of the line since the quad motor trucks are to be built first....a hard pill to swallow for early adopters that have already waited 2 years.

It's a bit disappointing that due to their own shortfalls Tesla is looking for a way out of their pricing commitment by screwing over their most die hard early tri-motor cyber truck fans/reservation holders.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Elon. Master of the dangling carrot. Fool me twice and that's on my dumb ass. Wonder if Tesla will refund holders with interest ? Coincidence he finally comes out with information when the stock is tanking. If he delays too much he risks loosing customers to Ford or GM. Rivian I think is more the casual pickup user market. Me. I need to haul stuff. I think Tesla will come out with about 25 - 75 trucks in fall of next year just to keep everyone interested long enough to delay till about 23 or 24. Anyone else care to guess their schedule?
You have always had the chance to get a refund on your reservation. “Interest”? LOL

Delays cost Tesla millions and delay billions in revenue and they cost us nothing aside from a bit of frustration.

Fvansan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma and pre-ordered a cybertruck dual motor
Occupation
Retired Psychiatric Social Worker
Country flag
I have a couple thoughts....first COMPETITION IS GOOD. Thank you Rivian for putting the pressure on Tesla and lighting a bit more fire under them to make this a possibility.

Secondly, I think this is more about Tesla being locked into hundreds of thousands of orders that are now two years old and are at prices that are just as old. With inflation, logistics constraints and time, they're looking for a way to get all these people to give up their (now) cheaply priced 3 motor variants and upgrade to a new truck with updated 2022 pricing. This is part evil, part genius as I imagine most tri-motor reservation holders will want the best and first truck produced. If they were to stick with their better priced tri-motor then they would not only have the 2nd best CT, but they'd be put to the end of the line since the quad motor trucks are to be built first....a hard pill to swallow for early adopters that have already waited 2 years.

It's a bit disappointing that due to their own shortfalls Tesla is looking for a way out of their pricing commitment by screwing over their most die hard early tri-motor cyber truck fans/reservation holders.

A lot of mind reading going on here. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I won't say you're right. Let's give the benefit of doubt here and allow the announcement to happen and listen to the question and answers afterwords first before assigning nonferrous motives.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
yea...he wants the best truck out there....but if you keep updating design and making advances in technology for something that has not been built yet, you not only will fall further and further behind in releasing the vehicle to the public, but continue improvements will always keeps you not producing anything.......we need the best, but want to stay ahead of the competition......well, we will continue to design and never ship until we get it right and beat them
So long as the design doesn't alter the timeline of the manufacturing equipment being readied, I don't see time creep YET. I also highly doubt this is something that was just decided on and it has likely been in the works for some time now but only now publicly announced/leaked. It may very well be a decision made to actually improve the timeline by reducing the variance of castings needed to be able to produce the variants. While never previously announced I would bet a CT4 was always in the works and by having a single casting up front that could take 1 or 2 motors actually helps the timeline.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So long as the design doesn't alter the timeline of the manufacturing equipment being readied, I don't see time creep YET. I also highly doubt this is something that was just decided on and it has likely been in the works for some time now but only now publicly announced/leaked. It may very well be a decision made to actually improve the timeline by reducing the variance of castings needed to be able to produce the variants. While never previously announced I would bet a CT4 was always in the works and by having a single casting up front that could take 1 or 2 motors actually helps the timeline.
In retrospect, this makes it crystal clear why Tesla pulled pricing and configurations. They likely finally finalized the designs and pricing and only vaguely resemble what they originally published.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
I think Tesla will come out with about 25 - 75 trucks in fall of next year just to keep everyone interested long enough to delay till about 23 or 24. Anyone else care to guess their schedule?
Tesla's stock isn't "tanking" I don't know where that came from.

But for production, Ford pushed the F150 back to September and Rivian is stuck in production hell cranking out less that 40 trucks a month.

When the first CTs roll off the line it'll be by the hundreds per month, minimum. And if it ramps like their other vehicles, it'll shoot to the 1-2 thousand per week by the 4th/5th month. The Model 3 eventually hit 7000 units a week by the end of the first year, and that was a ROUGH roll-out.

When production starts on the CT, Ford/GM/Rivian EV production numbers will be dwarfed QUICKLY.

Worthington

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Engineering Consultant
Country flag
Fiction? I'm literally only buying the CT because I want an off-road capable BEV.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/26907/you-dont-need-a-full-size-pickup-truck-you-need-a-cowboy-costume
I can see this particular little sub-thread going straight down the rabbit hole, and frankly, that sounds like an exhausting exercise over varying opinion(s) with no winner. BUT - I have done some extensive off-roading, mostly in one of my Jeeps. A pickup is generally too heavy and/or without "correct" weight distribution (and sometimes just too big) for off-roading - I prefer to call it "bad-roading," with ground clearance, slope (grade) and side-slope, obstacle, mud, snow, sand, ice, etc. issues.

Nevertheless, a good pickup can get you to the "jumping off point," especially if your actual off-road choice isn't exactly street legal. And carry more stuff, including comfort items (camping) and spare parts for when you break something. Range is also important, because its easy to get 100 miles from nowhere and be looking at low gear (conventional transmission) / low mileage travel

With that in mind, I want to see actual weight, actual weight distribution, actual torque, actual ground clearance, and actual range under these conditions.

Besides, it IS a lot of money to just take it out and bang it into a tree or a rock or something...

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I think the Tri motor is getting dropped entirely.

Doesn’t make sense to have an extra configuration. It’s going to be dual or quad for a long time with maybe the single creeping into the lineup when demand slacks off or production gets high enough for a lower end model.
CT3 makes sense if it adds something. Consider:
CT1 - RWD​
CT2 - AWD auto​
CT3 - AWD auto, Fulltime FWD/RWD, autoRWD plus LR option​
CT4 - 4x4 auto, Fulltime, FWD/RWD, Locked. profiles and mapped​
CT3 could free wheel the front motor in autoRWD providing “kickass” dualRWD pickup! Freewheeling the front motor boosts range and dual RWD works both motors less hard. Tesla could squeeze CT3 for all the miles possible.​