Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Don't be too surprised if the roadmap announcement gives us the following:

• Single Motor RWD Dual Motor AWD with 250+ miles $39,900
  • Dual Motor AWD with 300+ 500+ miles $49,900
  • Tri Motor Quad Motor AWD with 500+ 600+ miles $69,900
  • Quad Motor AWD with 600+ miles and Baja 1000 ready $89,900
But then, I have more of an optimistic view of things and I trust that Elon is ready to kick some serious ass.
I’ll have some of what your having please, sign me up.
Sponsored

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Why would they bump the Cybertruck for something else?

They have over a million orders for the Cybertruck. Are they going to bump it in favor of the Roadster which might have ~50k orders?

The Quad Plaid Cybertruck is likely to outsell the Roadster 5x by itself.
think you missed my point......build now when ready.......then. changes can be made in-line.....dont wait to build the greatest now....with everything changing in life, they will take forever to start......build now.....then make it better thru in-line changes

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
… sorry if I am sounding like I am ranting, but I am generally not happy with all the evasive and sometimes non-existent communications …
It is frustrating.

It feels like they pulled the trigger on this project too soon. I still think it’ll all work out, just a frustrating ride in the middle.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
The quad MIGHT not have more power than the Tri-motor.

Tri motor might have had Three 333HP motors. 3x333=999HP.
The Quad might have four 250HP motors. 4x250=1000HP.

Damn, I guess the quad will have more power. I can't see how they can equal the same number. :)

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
The quad MIGHT not have more power than the Tri-motor.

Tri motor might have had Three 333HP motors. 3x333=999HP.
The Quad might have four 250HP motors. 4x250=1000HP.

Damn, I guess the quad will have more power. I can't see how they can equal the same number. :)
Three 333 1/3 HP motors. LOL

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Anyone's guess what the 0-60 goes down to? 2.5 maybe?...which 2.9 is already ridiculous
Personally, I don't need the 0-60 to get any faster. But hummer is at 3 sec and Elon did say he wanted to kick but at Baja. So I'm sure it will drop a bit. Would be awesome if the 0-60 drop also came with more range. I'm thinking with the size and weight of the Hummer battery, the CT4 could make a competitive truck that was faster and had 1000+ miles.

I don't think Tesla wants to up the weight that much though. So who knows where it will come in at.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
This thread is running away, we risk danger in losing a distinction between confirmed and supposition.
That happened almost immediately.

Right now we only know that they’re adding a four motor version. Everything else is just jabber. We are going to have to wait till the earnings call. This is going to be a nailbiter. I know I can’t afford much of an increase.

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
I'm definitely worried about not being able to afford a quad motor, and thus not getting a CT for several years. That would REALLY screw over a ton of reservation holders. I'm hopeful that Elon won't let that happen.

Actually, I've always wondered why there was a Tri-motor option to begin with. It seems overly heavy and complex to include a front differential. Why not swap the differential with a fourth motor?

I'm thinking switching the tri to a quad-motor might cost very little, while giving a big performance increase. Think about it: same assemblies and components in the front and rear, side to side. Streamlined manufacturing. It makes sense that it would simplify things. I sure hope so.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Let's all agree not to call it CT 4. It just doesn't flow. We can't call it the CyberQuad since that already exists. Can't call it cyber Quattro stupid Germans already took it.
I think cyber squared or CTx2.
So then there be the 2 motor CT2 and the CTx2 which implies 4 motor one is twice as many motors.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Let's all agree not to call it CT 4. It just doesn't flow. We can't call it the CyberQuad since that already exists. Can't call it cyber Quattro stupid Germans already took it.
I think cyber squared or CTx2.
So then there be the 2 motor CT2 and the CTx2 which implies 4 motor one is twice as many motors.
CT Plaid? And that still leaves room for a CT Plaid Plus down the road. :ROFLMAO:

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
I know when the dual motor Model S came out, it used the same battery as the single motor and ended up having more range due to the efficiency of splitting the work. If Tesla applies the same design logic to the CT, the CT4 should have more range, better handling, and quicker 0-60 (if anyone is really buying the CT for that) than the CT3. I would anticipate that the CT4's motors will be a smaller version to conserve on weight, but having one on each wheel could have other benefits that we haven't mentioned/thought of. I'm not going to speculate about price, but if the CT4 has all of the added benefits for a "reasonable" (YMMV on that one) price increase, I would personally be willing to upgrade.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I'm definitely worried about not being able to afford a quad motor, and thus not getting a CT for several years. That would REALLY screw over a ton of reservation holders. I'm hopeful that Elon won't let that happen.

Actually, I've always wondered why there was a Tri-motor option to begin with. It seems overly heavy and complex to include a front differential. Why not swap the differential with a fourth motor?

I'm thinking switching the tri to a quad-motor might cost very little, while giving a big performance increase. Think about it: same assemblies and components in the front and rear, side to side. Streamlined manufacturing. It makes sense that it would simplify things. I sure hope so.
I agree with you on the benefits of 4 motor. If they design the CT really well, the front and back castings might be the same. With drive-by-wire, the suspension and drivetrain would be the same (different optimization in motors in the front vs the rear from what I understand though). And all of this sameness, brings about cost savings in assembly which helps drop the cost to produce.

On the performance and range side of things, it will all be a delicate dance to balance out getting the numbers that would be the most beneficial.

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
I don't care how many motors, I just want a huge battery. Small batteries are useless for me.
The more motors might mean better efficiency though and with a big pack, you would end up with a ton of range (I'm starting to think the 610 miles of range in the patent application for the UI might be the low end range for the CT4).

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
I know when the dual motor Model S came out, it used the same battery as the single motor and ended up having more range due to the efficiency of splitting the work. If Tesla applies the same design logic to the CT, the CT4 should have more range, better handling, and quicker 0-60 (if anyone is really buying the CT for that) than the CT3. I would anticipate that the CT4's motors will be a smaller version to conserve on weight, but having one on each wheel could have other benefits that we haven't mentioned/thought of. I'm not going to speculate about price, but if the CT4 has all of the added benefits for a "reasonable" (YMMV on that one) price increase, I would personally be willing to upgrade.
Or one could argue that having 4 smaller motors could/should cost the same as 3 larger motors and thus don't muck around with the price....