First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 LC500, 2022 RX450h, 2003 Avalanche Z71
Country flag
A few thoughts here...

I could be wrong, but because in the specs each motor provides extra range, I'm assuming that each extra motor also means more/better batteries per motor added.

Tesla took a risk when they started taking deposits on vaporware. This is the risk of such business practice and Tesla knew the risks (design & production issues, inflation, and lineup changes) when they started taking deposits. Don't cry for Elon.

I also don't think Elon is the type of guy who wants any bad press or bad karma that would come from any poor handling of pre-orders. Sure he may delay the production of your CT but he won't screw you out of the deal you made, but that doesn't stop Tesla from trying to entice you to change your order. Elon loves the flashy presentation and the bold proclamations, he won't tarnish his reputation by screwing over those who have placed deposits on the base model.

Omitting the single motor versions will be a business decision with a cost/benefit. I would have to re-read the contracts we signed but I don't think Tesla can just cancel the single-motor orders. Best case, I think they would offer a free 2-motor upgrade. They may do this with smaller or less battery capacity though so 1-motor orders would get a 2-motor "short range" version and 2-motor orders would get a standard range version (just speculating). If they can't afford to give an extra motor to the 1-motor folks, then they will build the 1-motor version but I bet it is a cost they can absorb.
Sponsored

Balthezor

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, 2020 Model Y
Country flag
I think I am still in if it's <$100k. But some people are saying it won't be cheaper than Model S Plaid at $120k. That's too much for my blood for a truck.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Well now! What a crazy day! A little announcement from Elon and we are now 213 messages in on the content.

213 well thought out reasoned and reliable messages…

Ah… who am I kidding.

I’m tired and all flustered. My planned day was all shot to pieces. How many more of these is it going to be before I get my apparently amazing ride?

I need a CT so I can drive out of internet range and take a break!

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
I always thought of the original as:
CT1=RWD
CT2=Standard Range 4wd
CT3=Long Range Performance 4wd

I think now it is:
CT2=RWD
CT3= Standard Range 4wd
CT4=Long Range Performance 4wd

Price increases not necessarily needed. Would make a little more sense for "economies of scale", to drop the 3 motor and maybe just a have a Standard range 4 motor in that spot in the lineup.

Dr Barnacle Luffy

First Name
Barnacle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4, Chevy 2500 diesel LT 4x4, Toyota T100 pickup, 2d RAV4
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
These are changes I had hoped for and envisioned when the topic of Cybertruck first came up. The only thing left is for the back seat to fold down so the vault and cabin can become one.

4Dolio

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Vehicles
2023 f150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I am very pleased with this development and will be bumping my reservation for trip motor to quad motor for sure. Up to perhaps $90k MSRP, although I don't expect the cost over 3 motor to be much greater.

My single motor reservation can happily be a two motor four wheel drive if that's the format. Not to worried about the low low base price model taking longer to get into production, but feel for those who will wait.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
HOLY CRAP, this thread has 11,050 views in one day!!!!!

I had no idea I had went back to look at new comments so many times. :p

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
HOLY CRAP, this thread has 11,050 views in one day!!!!!

I had no idea I had went back to look at new comments so many times. :p
I alone was about 12,000 of them.

Roboto

First Name
Roboto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Occupation
Cyber
Country flag
I want a dual motor, more for the battery, I would be happy with a single motor if it came sooner. I really don't care if it will come in a 4 motor configuration, I can't even afford the 3 motor one at the 2019 price, and I would love to have that 500 mile battery.
In my case, it wasn't the speed boost why I went with the dual-motor it was really the additional range. I would even be fine with IronPhosphate batteries with a slower speed but additional range.

Features I love about the design are stainless steel (no key jobs, shopping carts messing up truck, reminiscence of the Delorian I wanted as a kid), seating for up to 6, and the ability to lift and lower truck ( hoping would help for accessibility). An SUV style would have been even a better fit for meif it maintained the key features. Dual-Motor also brought AWD but doubt I need it that much as we don't have snow but would be willing to drive cross country in the snow with it.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
This combined with 4 motors is going to kick Rivian's ass. And with Teslas amazing computer control of traction etc, it will run circles around Rivian's off-road capabilities.
May be true but for some of us, kicking ass is providing the features we need for a better price. Rivian is already capable of doing much more than I dare to do at a price I rather not pay. If I can get CT2 at advertised price in a timely manner, Rivian ass is already kicked. An expensive CT with capabilities I never use after I am dead is just another ridiculous Hummer.

Wish this had come out when TSLA was kicking ass instead of today… then I’d be more optimistic about this all.
Keep in mind, PR department is Elon sitting on his toilet bowl on twitter. Managing expectations is a function of what he ate a couple of hours ago.

Imagine members of this forum typing CT2x2 or CT2² instead of CT4 in the next 20 years. The total difference in time used may be a life time waisted. If you got two letters, I am all ears otherwise I am sticking with CT4. In fact I would be inclined to use C4 if I was not afraid I may end up on a terrorist watch list.

Last edited:

mullins46

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Thats what i'm thinking the quad motor will go up to. Hopefully they allow tri motor to move to quad in first priority.
To be fair, probably just go straight down the list and ask to update what people want. But I put trimotor so I wouldn’t mind your way lol.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Steer by wire will make the components and fitting all the much cheaper and simpler and quicker.

Given the new age manufacturing at Austin, perhaps the extra motor and 4W steering will not cost any extra.

Let's also consider batteries are getting cheaper.

Its like today phones have radios and a million other things, and yet.. its all for $100.

We get a hamburger with the lot and let the competition chase our tail.
I think they'd have to.
they don't have to