Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You know what all of these have in common? They're all 'if we had the price increases for all the months in the year equal to what we saw in November, inflation would be 6.8%'. You know what we didn't see? That level of price increases for twelve months.

So no, inflation isn't '6.8%'. Annualized BS.

Inflation is targeted at 2%. That's so there's room to grow and hand out loans and bonds without weird math problems. You know what we've mostly not hit? That 2% target. So even a year of 10% inflation (which we didn't have) wouldn't make up for twenty years of missing that 2% target by half a percent.

Do you think Tesla didn't add inflation into their calculations when they offered us prices two years ago?

I'm not saying inflation doesn't exist. Just that it's clearly not the inflation you think it is.

Tesla pre-selling every car it can at a higher price means there's more revenue headroom to sell our trucks to us at the price they promised.

-Crissa
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Is there any info regarding what kind of electric motors will they use for the quad motor version? Rivian uses ~200 hp motors. They may not need to use expensive carbon sleeved motors to make 1000hp.
Who said the carbon sleeved motors are more expensive?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
You know what all of these have in common? They're all 'if we had the price increases for all the months in the year equal to what we saw in November, inflation would be 6.8%'. You know what we didn't see? That level of price increases for twelve months.

So no, inflation isn't '6.8%'. Annualized BS.

Inflation is targeted at 2%. That's so there's room to grow and hand out loans and bonds without weird math problems. You know what we've mostly not hit? That 2% target. So even a year of 10% inflation (which we didn't have) wouldn't make up for twenty years of missing that 2% target by half a percent.

Do you think Tesla didn't add inflation into their calculations when they offered us prices two years ago?

I'm not saying inflation doesn't exist. Just that it's clearly not the inflation you think it is.

Tesla pre-selling every car it can at a higher price means there's more revenue headroom to sell our trucks to us at the price they promised.

-Crissa
EM has admitted on many occasions that they have supply issues. That means higher supply prices for Tesla too. You can't say Tesla demand is "not due to inflation" on the one hand, whilst saying that supply shortages aren't pushing up prices for every vehicle manufacturer on the other hand. That is just plain old inflation in both cases. Tesla also has a higher cost and they are passing that on.

Otherwise, feel free to come up with a fantasy world version of how supply and demand works and redefine what "inflation" means, to unicorns and rainbows, if that helps push the agenda and bias.

DoGoodCap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Country flag
What do you all think the quad motor price will be?

flamaest

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Good points, I wish people would try to stay grounded in reality. The economics of construction and auto manufacture are two entirely different things. The raw materials in the average car only cost $4,000-$5,000 (and that's after recently nearly doubling). Tesla has been averaging margins on autos around 23% recently - that's after the raw materials went up by nearly 90%. Since then, prices have started to come down. 23% margin on a $50K truck is $11,500.

Tesla sells it's FSD software for $10K. I wonder what would happen to FSD prices if the raw materials doubled again? Oh, that's right, software has no raw materials!
And don't forget that big companies like Tesla/GM/Ford/etc setup CONTRACTs well in advance with suppliers of raw goods. I highly doubt there have been any meaningful fluctuations in the cost to make the CT, so if the price does go up, it is Tesla greediness to blame, not C0v1d. Costs for massive projects are calculated and MOU contracts are signed wayyy in advance of the first truck being built. Do you see Ford or GM changing their MSRPs for the Lightning or Hummer? NO. And I am not talking about dealer markups, that is another story.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
And don't forget that big companies like Tesla/GM/Ford/etc setup CONTRACTs well in advance with suppliers of raw goods. I highly doubt there have been any meaningful fluctuations in the cost to make the CT, so if the price does go up, it is Tesla greediness to blame, not C0v1d. Costs for massive projects are calculated and MOU contracts are signed wayyy in advance of the first truck being built. Do you see Ford or GM changing their MSRPs for the Lightning or Hummer? NO. And I am not talking about dealer markups, that is another story.
All true. And it's important to be clear that there is no indication that Tesla has raised prices on the originally announced specifications. Might they offer more power, more range or more functionality if you want to upgrade? Of course, Tesla is always trying to think of ways to make their products even more awesome and there is no reason they should give away upgrades for the originally announced prices.

That said, many times they do exactly that, deliver products superior in every way to the revealed product and sell it at the originally announced price.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
What do you all think the quad motor price will be?
I wouldn't be surprised if they do away with the dual motor and offer the entry level quad-motor at the dual motor price of $49K. Otherwise, if they retain the dual motor AWD, and replace the tri-motor with the quad-motor, it should start at $69K, the same price they announced the tri-motor at. If they keep the tri-motor, the quad motor will likely be an additional $7-$10K above the tri-motor.

shilvock22

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Military
Country flag
The $69,990 Tri Motor just turned into a guesstimated $84,990 Quad Motor.

Elon wants the Cybertruck to THE BEST pickup truck on the market. Tesla will have to scale up electric motor production!!!
I don't think there's any way the quad motor comes in under$100k.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'd go from CT3 to CT2 if the range was at 450......I may not live to see that though, so I will be forced to stay with CT3 and see what happen with it or, ....could get CT4 at CT 3 price and 500+ range.......its a wait and see game now.....just what we need to start off the new year.....but Model Y starts on 2 Jan 22!!!!!! yea

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It won't be that more expensive from 3 to 4.

Compared to duel, the Tri has :
200 more miles
1 extra motor

80KW * $130 (Tesla sell price?) = $10400

Balance is $9600 for the motor.

Since its announcement, high volume orders, and technical advancements may even see the price drop. Doubt it lol

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Sawyer Merrit says a little bird told him there would be 3 Models of CT, Dual, Quad, and Plaid.

This makes a lot of sense. Plaid is the $100k+ Cybertruck for those willing to pay top dollar for a rocket sled hauler. This also meshes with Musks previous comments which suggested there would be a plaid Cybertruck.

Last edited:

rlhamil

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Trans Am WS6, 2007 PT Cruiser GT
Occupation
retired
Country flag
For some, not for all. I always thought quad motor made more sense than more complex mechanical linkages, differential, etc. More control (independent control of each motor), and less unnecessary moving parts to have problems. I'm looking for adequate range and badass-ness, but even more, for serious durability and very low maintenance.

DPye_BC

First Name
Durwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier RWD; 2000 Toyota Echo FWD
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Okay, so let's put this all together: Quad motor, four-wheel steering and air suspension...

That would make the Cybertruck able to do many of the same maneuvers as the Boston Dynamics (Hyundai) MobED. Can you imagine that?

I just wonder how quickly the air suspension can change the wheel height.

Lifting one wheel to "step" over a curb, or diagonally opposite wheels to "walk" like the MobED does at the end of the video. I don't know how practical this would be but I can think of a few uses cases, and it would certainly be a LOT of fun!
Hyundai (Boston Dynamics) @ CES 2022- MobED
Sponsored