10,000+ Miles Driving a Cybertruck – Things learned: range, great sound and full love/hate list after 10k miles

SKUUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
All of the above tells me there is a critical failure warning light flashing at Tesla. I am a long-time Tesla shareholder, owner of three Teslas, huge advocate of the company and all around fan. (I recently and reluctantly cancelled the CT FS because the range would not meet my needs.) But I am calling it: something is deeply broken.

It is a symptom of an organization where everyone is afraid to tell the emperor that he is not wearing clothes. It is a symptom of a company where bad news is hidden and bad data is reformulated until it fits a pre-ordained internal narrative. If that diagnosis is correct, Tesla is in serious trouble. For all of its accomplishments and incredibly talented staff, it will collapse in on itself unless this gets fixed. I hope it is a wake-up call to the board and the leadership. Warning light flashing IMO.
Agree. The CT is Tesla's Model X 2.0, and the rollout has not been great up to this point. Instead of making a practical truck with good range and sufficient performance, they made an overdone "technology bandwagon" that goes from pseudo truck to a bastardized sport utility vehicle once you put a "range extender" in it.

I believe they can fix this, at least to a sufficient degree. Get rid of the leaky rolling tonneau, add a fix/folding/removable tonneau, use the space under the rear seat and in the tonneau box to stuff more batteries, reach a minimum of 400 real-world/non-aspirational miles, ditch the RWS (if beneficial), and call the damn thing good. Don't sell something to truck buyers that they didn't ask for, and then tell them it is good enough. It wreaks of tone-def arrogance and pretentiousness. Then again, this probably all comes down to keeping this from being rated a Class 3 truck, and ultimately, giving people what they want would hurt their bottom line from the loss of carbon credits, so they won't f'n do it.

Just like many of you, I was dying to get this truck, but am not so sure at this point. We'll see how much better it gets. Sadly, I've had to think about getting a Tundra or waiting for Ford to develop their T3 project. It's back to wait and see lol

Last edited:

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
What range/numbers are you getting in your Model 3? I suspect pretty dang similar.
Model 3 70 mph range test in 2019 was 290 miles. Of course model 3 has a huge advantage of being able to charge waaaaay faster than the CT due to its efficiency. Even an 2019 M3 can add 200 miles of real world range (10% - 80%) in 25 minutes.

YDR37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
With these facts on the table (I think they are facts at this point) one has to ask why did Tesla get this so wrong? We have seen this before. It is a symptom of an organization where everyone is afraid to tell the emperor that he is not wearing clothes. It is a symptom of a company where bad news is hidden and bad data is reformulated until it fits a pre-ordained internal narrative. If that diagnosis is correct, Tesla is in serious trouble. For all of its accomplishments and incredibly talented staff, it will collapse in on itself unless this gets fixed. I hope it is a wake-up call to the board and the leadership. Warning light flashing IMO.
That may not be an accurate characterization of the situation. According to the recently published Elon Musk biography, Tesla engineers made it clear to the "emperor" that there were issues with the Cybertruck. In fact, the engineers were so concerned that they started developing "a secret alternative" electric pickup design. But the "emperor" refused to listen.
As it turns out, some Tesla engineers hated the Cybertruck so much that they began working on a secret alternative design for the electric pickup truck ... Musk did not even want to hear concerns about the Cybertruck. "I don't do focus groups," he is quoted as saying in the book
Of course, if this is true, it could still be a flashing warning light. Just a different label on the light.

Last edited:

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Model 3 70 mph range test in 2019 was 290 miles. Of course model 3 has a huge advantage of being able to charge waaaaay faster than the CT due to its efficiency. Even an 2019 M3 can add 200 miles of real world range (10% - 80%) in 25 minutes.
Quite interesting that you didn't answer my question.
And interesting that you completely changed your story. It was

1) Range sucks
2) Team knew long before release that range sucks
3) It is a big deal for customers
4) They could have fixed it but didn't
So now it's charging, yesterday it was range.
Maybe that's when I called you by comparing it to a Model 3, it was indeed equal.

And duh, a large truck is going to need more power. So sure it takes longer to charge.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Why throw in the random calculation about range when it was literally written that they be driving aggressively. That means they gun it at every light. Like most Tesla owners. That doesnt reflect real range and is just being used to further your CT has no range claims

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
All of the above tells me there is a critical failure warning light flashing at Tesla. I am a long-time Tesla shareholder, owner of three Teslas, huge advocate of the company and all around fan. (I recently and reluctantly cancelled the CT FS because the range would not meet my needs.) But I am calling it: something is deeply broken.

We now have enough data to definitively say that Tesla blew it on the Cybertruck range (not least this post which is consistent with previous data). There is no way - with all of the very public testing done by Tesla - that the engineering team did not know (long ago) that the real-world range would suck. They knew. And Tesla has an incredible engineering and manufacturing team so they could have fixed this. No question. So it seems to me that we can conclude:
1) Range sucks

With these facts on the table (I think they are facts at this point) one has to ask why did Tesla get this so wrong? We have seen this before. It is a symptom of an organization where everyone is afraid to tell the emperor that he is not wearing clothes. It is a symptom of a company where bad news is hidden and bad data is reformulated until it fits a pre-ordained internal narrative. If that diagnosis is correct, Tesla is in serious trouble. For all of its accomplishments and incredibly talented staff, it will collapse in on itself unless this gets fixed. I hope it is a wake-up call to the board and the leadership. Warning light flashing IMO.
15% battery improvement later this year will help a lot.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Of course, but we've always known the Model 3 was a far better EV for fast road trips than even the Tri-Motor 500-mile range version announced back in 2019 due to the fact that the Model 3 would consume about half the energy compared to the Cybertruck at 70 mph. Basic physics also told us that a larger battery would take longer to fill, whether at a 150 kW or a 250 kW fast charger. That's why my plan all along has been to keep my Model 3 for long, fast road trips.

This should surprise no one who respects the physics of aerodynamics and who understands that the 5 drive cycles that make up the EPA combined range rating have an average speed of somewhere around 34 mph and even the HWY ratings are computed from a "high speed" drive cycle that has an average speed of around 50 mph (I actually think it might be 48 mph).

That means it's obvious and expected that a very aerodynamic car like the Model 3, with a much smaller frontal area, will perform much better on a 70-mph range test, relative to its EPA rated combined range, than the Cybertruck. We didn't need to wait for a range test to know that. The results are only surprising to those who have no clue how this all works. I've been saying for years that the Cybertruck will get nowhere near its combined EPA range rating if driven at 70 mph.

The easy-to-understand summary of all this is that the range most commonly cited for every EV is not the highway range, it's the combined City/Hwy range, and larger less aero vehicles will perform much more poorly than that rating when driven at 70 or 75 mph.

I can't figure out if people are just feigning surprise at this, or if they really are that clueless about how aerodynamic drag works. It increases in proportion to the frontal area and it also increases with the square of the speed. On top of that, the Cybertrucks Cd is about 50% higher than that of the Model 3, and that doesn't take into account the larger frontal area.

The Cybertruck was never going to have a higher charge speed, in terms of miles per hour charged, than the Model 3.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Yea, pretty significant amount of driving, well over 100 miles a day avg, but said the one good size road trip added a lot to the total in a short amount of time. Also two drivers makes a world of difference.
What was road due to? Tires or sound proofing?

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I just note that it is an early warning indicator that people are reluctant to give the boss bad news. It is that latter issue (not the CT itself) that is a harbinger of a difficult future IMO.
Huh?

I've seen zero evidence of that. Elon demands that all his employees tell it how it is, even if it's bad news. The company is founded on that principle, people must be free to speak the truth. The success of the company has a lot to do with first principles thinking which does not contemplate whether the news is good or bad, only how to best address the issues.

In fact, back in 2007, Elon was furious when Martin Eberhard purposefully covered up the bad news that production costs of the original Roadster were higher than expected. He was ousted as CEO when Elon discovered they had been deceived about how much it would cost to build them and was unwilling to raise the price. Elon was adament that they could not build a business selling products for less than they would cost to build, but the ousting was due to lying about the increasing costs.

I get the distinct impression that you are purposefully manufacturing and disseminating FUD.

Knock it off.

CybertruckRN1127

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, Model X
Country flag

We now have enough data to definitively say that Tesla blew it on the Cybertruck range (not least this post which is consistent with previous data). There is no way - with all of the very public testing done by Tesla - that the engineering team did not know (long ago) that the real-world range would suck. They knew. And Tesla has an incredible engineering and manufacturing team so they could have fixed this. No question. So it seems to me that we can conclude:
1) Range sucks

Tesla knows what they are doing. Release a MVP with high demand. People will buy every one they make now. The range and charge speed will be better in a later model year once demand slows. They can't make a forever truck. Take a look at the S,X,3, and Y. The platform got better as they age. No one wants a 2013 S, 2016 X or 2018 3. Just as in 2027, no one will want a 2023 Cybertruck, and in 2030, Tesla will sell that 500 mile range Cybertruck so owners of 2024 will upgrade. They need to keep the cycle going. Can't make a perfect product on purpose or you'll go out of business.
Sponsored