10,000 miles of CT experience… good and bad.

Wolfgram

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
The good:

Did you know that the Cybertruck blind spot LED works unlike any other blind spot indicator? If a vehicle is approaching in an adjacent lane from behind at high speed the corresponding LED will illuminate much earlier. It actually takes velocity of traffic into account to warn you! Other cars simply have radar sensors that detect an object in close proximity. That doesn’t help if someone is speeding up to pass you… Tesla has the finest engineers in the world. Period.

Oh, also, the traffic aware cruise control actually does much more, too! It takes into account speed limits, road condition (such as curves and construction), and traffic signals. I think it may do everything that Autopilot does, except NO steering controls.

Now, something to fix ASAP: The Tesla AEB (automatic emergency braking) absolutely SUCKS!! Once it is activated, you can NOT override the system with throttle input until it comes to an abrupt and complete stop!

This caused my Model 3 to be rear-ended when I could have avoided the accident if the brakes weren’t stuck to the floor unnecessarily!! Same thing happened in Cybertruck yesterday… except I narrowly avoided being rear-ended bc the other driver veered off the road.

Nothing worse than HELPLESSLY sitting there unable to take control of your vehicle and just hoping that you don’t get smashed from behind. This needs to be fixed by Tesla.

WTF are they thinking by locking us out of control of our vehicle until it comes to a complete stop??!! This CAUSES accidents, not prevent them!!
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Now, something to fix ASAP: The Tesla AEB (automatic emergency braking) absolutely SUCKS!! Once it is activated, you can NOT override the system with throttle input until it comes to an abrupt and complete stop!
You override it with brake input, at least that used to be the method.

And honestly, if someone hit you while you were stopping, it's super their fault.

-Crissa

TickTock

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3; 2018 Model S; 2023 F-150 LIghtning
Country flag

This caused my Model 3 to be rear-ended when I could have avoided the accident if the brakes weren’t stuck to the floor unnecessarily!! Same thing happened in Cybertruck yesterday… except I narrowly avoided being rear-ended bc the other driver veered off the road.

Nothing worse than HELPLESSLY sitting there unable to take control of your vehicle and just hoping that you don’t get smashed from behind. This needs to be fixed by Tesla.

WTF are they thinking by locking us out of control of our vehicle until it comes to a complete stop??!! This CAUSES accidents, not prevent them!!
Interesting. I have never encountered this. Was the truck in TACC during the emergency stop. It makes sense if not and your foot was on the throttle because ,during heavy breaking, inertia will cause you to involuntarily press the throttle. So they *have* to ignore throttle input in this situation. I'm not sure how they could "fix" this so you can indicate you are in control using the throttle if you were already on it. There is an option to turn off the forward collision detection but I wouldn't recommend that - it serves a useful purpose.

cybertruckwaldo

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD FS
Country flag
The good:

Did you know that the Cybertruck blind spot LED works unlike any other blind spot indicator? If a vehicle is approaching in an adjacent lane from behind at high speed the corresponding LED will illuminate much earlier. It actually takes velocity of traffic into account to warn you! Other cars simply have radar sensors that detect an object in close proximity. That doesn’t help if someone is speeding up to pass you… Tesla has the finest engineers in the world. Period.

Oh, also, the traffic aware cruise control actually does much more, too! It takes into account speed limits, road condition (such as curves and construction), and traffic signals. I think it may do everything that Autopilot does, except NO steering controls.

Have you encountered any build issues? For example, does your middle console between the front seats creak or squeak when turning? How are your leather seats holding up?

Last edited:

OP
OP
Wolfgram

Wolfgram

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
Have you encountered any build issues? For example, does your middle console between the front seats creak or squeak when turning? How are your leather seats holding up?
Build quality has been very good. No rattles or squeaks. The driver’s side dash rubs slightly on the closed door trim of the same material and makes the slightest noise sometimes. But I only notice because the Cybertruck is so damn quiet! No noise from center console.

The seats seem more heavy-duty compared to my Model 3, albeit a bit less cushy. My wife already spilled makeup on her seat 😡, but it cleaned right up with a makeup remover towelette. Overall, I am impressed with interior build quality and maintenance. 👍🏼

OP
OP
Wolfgram

Wolfgram

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
Interesting. I have never encountered this. Was the truck in TACC during the emergency stop. It makes sense if not and your foot was on the throttle because ,during heavy breaking, inertia will cause you to involuntarily press the throttle. So they *have* to ignore throttle input in this situation. I'm not sure how they could "fix" this so you can indicate you are in control using the throttle if you were already on it. There is an option to turn off the forward collision detection but I wouldn't recommend that - it serves a useful purpose.
I was not in TACC or AP (in Model 3) either time. It occurs when traffic stops quickly in front of me, and while I could manage the accident avoidance myself in each case, when the AEB kicks in it stays brakes to the floor until a complete stop. This results in the driver behind me, who can probably see the cars already moving again in front of me, to have to avoid rear-ending me (or not) because my vehicle is still abruptly coming to a stop. It’s awful. And I don’t think it can be disabled if you use AP (and I can’t find the option to disable it at all in CT). ☹

Nigel

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado 2500HD
Country flag
The good:

I find the cruise control (FSD) a pain in the butt with speed limits. The problem I encountered, on tollway/highway with a 70mph speed limit, for example, I set the speed limit to 75mph. When a minimum speed sign comes up it brakes to 45 mph, when a bus limit comes up it brakes to 60 mph. I find I'm always correcting the speed limit. After a while, I drive manually with less stress.

On some country roads the limit is 55 mph, the Tesla for some reason decides its a 25 mph road. If WAZE knows all the limits then so should the Tesla. Probably my biggest complaint that seems so easy to fix.

OP
OP
Wolfgram

Wolfgram

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
I find the cruise control (FSD) a pain in the butt with speed limits. The problem I encountered, on tollway/highway with a 70mph speed limit, for example, I set the speed limit to 75mph. When a minimum speed sign comes up it brakes to 45 mph, when a bus limit comes up it brakes to 60 mph. I find I'm always correcting the speed limit. After a while, I drive manually with less stress.

On some country roads the limit is 55 mph, the Tesla for some reason decides its a 25 mph road. If WAZE knows all the limits then so should the Tesla. Probably my biggest complaint that seems so easy to fix.
Yes! Tesla eventually addressed proper speed limit adjustments in v11 FSD, so I am just planning on patiently manually adjusting speeds for the next few months until they get around to making the same tweaks in v12. 🤷🏻‍♂️

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
And I don’t think it can be disabled if you use AP (and I can’t find the option to disable it at all in CT). ☹
That's false. Automatic Emergency Braking can be disabled. You will find the AEB On/Off switch in Cybertruck's Autopilot Settings.

In six years of driving four different Tesla, including my recently delivered Cybertruck, I've never experienced a situation in which AEB cannot be over-ridden simply by pressing on the accelerator. I leave AEB enabled all the time.

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
I leave AEB enabled all the time.
Great idea

AEB while some may question from time to time it saves my bacon at least once a year. I drive more than most. Last year was 58k. So I see stuff because of the time on the road that many see once in a lifetime.

Keep the AEB on. Please.

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model Y LR. Volvo XC70 T6 retired 9/23
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I find the cruise control (FSD) a pain in the butt with speed limits. The problem I encountered, on tollway/highway with a 70mph speed limit, for example, I set the speed limit to 75mph. When a minimum speed sign comes up it brakes to 45 mph, when a bus limit comes up it brakes to 60 mph. I find I'm always correcting the speed limit.
If you have FSD engaged, disengage and submit a voice memo/bug report. Colorado has numerous "multiple speeds" on speed limit signs (aka interstate 65 mph, minimum 45 mph) which confuses the FSD speed setting. Tesla FSD team is good at correcting these situations, provided you notify them via bug/disengagement report.

TL, DR: Complaining to FSD team with a disengagement gets their attention.

OP
OP
Wolfgram

Wolfgram

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
That's false. Automatic Emergency Braking can be disabled. You will find the AEB On/Off switch in Cybertruck's Autopilot Settings.

In six years of driving four different Tesla, including my recently delivered Cybertruck, I've never experienced a situation in which AEB cannot be over-ridden simply by pressing on the accelerator. I leave AEB enabled all the time.
True. If you disable AEB you’ll have to do it every time you drive. It does t stick.

congratulations on not experiencing this problem… Ive been driving Tesla vehicles for over 10 years and they all have done it. You can NOT override with accelerator. Guaranteed. Perhaps you’ve never had an actual AEB event… 🤷🏻‍♂️

OP
OP
Wolfgram

Wolfgram

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
You override it with brake input, at least that used to be the method.

And honestly, if someone hit you while you were stopping, it's super their fault.

-Crissa
Really? …I have not tried stepping on the brake during the AEB process. Will do this next time to see if it works.

Yes, while it is always the fault of the person doing the rear-ending, last time that person did not have insurance and I paid the deductible and never recovered it. Also, the colored PPF film on my car is no longer made and I had to get a matching roll shipped from Africa to repair the bumper. All in all, weeks of hassle and expense and insurance claims, regardless of who is at fault. 😖

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
I have never tried to override an AEB event. It was always needed. It feels like you wish you had a racing harness on. Like harder and quicker than one could ever depress the pedal, and happens instantly. Once was almost right into the back of a flatbed tow truck. It was a sweet experience in full stop.

Edit add: One usually gets a light or a display alert that AEB was in use.
Sponsored