Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
So I was thinking that I have numerous 12V items that plug into the vehicle currently. I mean even my phone charger is 12V. I have a really nice 12V compressor, 12V vaccum, 12V inflator, 12V cooler etc.

Anyone confirmed if the CT will still have 12V adapters? Or do we all just need to figure out a way to make it work with an inverter or something like that?
Sponsored

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Everyone has 12v items so you could bet a LOT of money that Tesla will have a few 12v accessory plugs.

48v is way higher than the 16v limit they have on their lithium low-powered battery in the other cars. It seems most 12v items would work up to 16v but many are sensitive and don't. See thread:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...needed-it-the-most.296690/page-2#post-7487986

All 12v consumer electronics voltage rating is anything in between 12V-24V, so it is fine.
This is not true. Tesla's manual specifically calls out inverters are particularly sensitive to voltage limits. Not that hard to find ones that max out at 16V in a quick google:
Raptor RAP400 400 Watt 12V Power Inverter | Inverters R Us

This one maxes out at 15.5V and will error out if it hits 16V:
12v 1000w Inverter, 12v to 120v/220v Power Inverter

Some threads with plenty of people trying in real world and find out plenty of inverters simply don't work with the 16V battery cars (but works perfectly fine when plugged into the socket of a car with a regular 12V battery).
Power Inverters for newer 16V Outlet Cars

12V consumer electronics many times may be using step down converters that may overheat if you use too high a input voltage, so to be safe always check the actual max rating of your device.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
When a vehicle has 48 volts, it doesn't mean everything is fixed to 48 volts. Even now in the Model 3 and other cars, USB and USB-C ports tap 5 Volts for their power leads, through voltage divider or other conversion circuitry, sourced from the car's ~12 Volt electrical power.

I would be surprised if USB-C ports are not planned to be available in the Cybertruck also.

So in the same way that 5 Volts for USB-C ports is available now in 12 Volt powered cars, I think both 12 Volt and 5 Volt circuits could be implemented in the Cybertruck from the 48 Volt native power bus where they're needed, but overall the 48 Volts saves on wiring by delivering the same power to most endpoint devices with less amperage.

Either way, I think we'd be more like Gordon Johnson or Craig Irwin, if we didn't think that Tesla has thought this through and already tested applicable use cases.

Of course there are always the armchair experts out there (and Jason Fenske isn't the only one) who must try to convince themselves and others, that they are superior to Tesla's engineers and track record.

- ÆCIII

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
And also, Tesla has said CT is only 80% 48v

The other 20%?

Might it be weighted towards the “normal” UI features: monitors, plugs, etc.?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
When a vehicle has 48 volts, it doesn't mean everything is fixed to 48 volts. Even now in the Model 3 and other cars, USB and USB-C ports tap 5 Volts for their power leads, through voltage divider or other conversion circuitry, sourced from the car's ~12 Volt electrical power.

I would be surprised if USB-C ports are not planned to be available in the Cybertruck also.

So in the same way that 5 Volts for USB-C ports is available now in 12 Volt powered cars, I think both 12 Volt and 5 Volt circuits could be implemented in the Cybertruck from the 48 Volt native power bus where they're needed, but overall the 48 Volts saves on wiring by delivering the same power to most endpoint devices with less amperage.

Either way, I think we'd be more like Gordon Johnson or Craig Irwin, if we didn't think that Tesla has thought this through and already tested applicable use cases.

- ÆCIII
I love how Gordon Johnson often appears in the role of 'total and complete idiot' in discussions. How did that guy get any credibility from anyone?

HAL GALLUS

First Name
HAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MODLE 3
Country flag
So I was thinking that I have numerous 12V items that plug into the vehicle currently. I mean even my phone charger is 12V. I have a really nice 12V compressor, 12V vaccum, 12V inflator, 12V cooler etc.

Anyone confirmed if the CT will still have 12V adapters? Or do we all just need to figure out a way to make it work with an inverter or something like that?
I got a HOMELYLIFE 10A 120W golf cart 48v to 12v comverter / $18.99

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I love how Gordon Johnson often appears in the role of 'total and complete idiot' in discussions. How did that guy get any credibility from anyone?
Who said Gordo had any credibility?

He typically only gets mentioned because CNBC is dumb enough to think they can keep fooling us that he's a serious auto auto analyst. CNBC thinks we are stupid. The truth is, at least 25% of us are not stupid and see right through the B.S.

He's become a meme for stupidity of the kind that is hard to find in real life.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Yeah but at 48v your phone will charge 4x as fast
If the only (or main) benefit of 48v is cost- and weight-saving due to thinner wires, I'd like to know the exact size of that benefit. I bet it's negligible.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
If the only (or main) benefit of 48v is cost- and weight-saving due to thinner wires, I'd like to know the exact size of that benefit. I bet it's negligible.
If you quadruple voltage, you can divide current by four (along with wire size and space too), and still transmit the same amount of power through those smaller wires that are a quarter of the size needed for 12 volts.

Are you saying that 4X space and weight efficiency increases are negligible? That's a net 3X savings.

So if someone said they could increase your bank account to 4X it's current value, would you say no and call such potential gains 'negligible'??

- ÆCIII

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
If you quadruple voltage, you can divide current by four (along with wire size and space too), and still transmit the same amount of power through those smaller wires that are a quarter of the size needed for 12 volts.

Are you saying that 4X space and weight efficiency increases are negligible? That's a net 3X savings.

So if someone said they could increase your bank account to 4X it's current value, would you say no and call such potential gains 'negligible'??

- ÆCIII
I was hoping to get an answer in dollars and ounces-or-grams per vehicle, not percentages.
Sponsored