cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
It's not a broken promise if he's just not releasing that version yet.

No more than it was a broken promise yesterday, or the last 4 years, that he hadn't released that version yet.

While the 2019 unveil understandably mislead or confused people into thinking the models shown on screen would all be release simultaneously, at no point I'm aware of has Tesla rolled out all and every model variant at once. They change, add, improve (or diminish) over time. On Nov. 30, they're basically releasing only that one "Dual" model variant (even then, significantly changed) - that there will be a "Dual - performance" version (which happens to have 3 motors), does not mean they are releasing the 2019 "Tri Motor" variant.

I just think whatever the critiques may be come Nov. 30, among them shouldn't be the critique that Tesla hasn't released everything all at once.
Sponsored

GuyV

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with a hybrid pickup. There is room on the road for every type of vehicles. I love my Prius, and if it were not for the CT, I might have picked up a Jeep Wrangler4Xe

Having said that, EVs and Hybrids are two very different beasts, and you can't compare the two.
There is not room in the atmosphere for every type of vehicle. Maybe fuel-cell or hydrogen combustion added generator could do the same job. Should I patent that idea?

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
For the Teslas I've used (Y/3/S) we get roughtly 1 mile of charge per kW per hour, give or take. The Y seems to get about 45 miles of charge per hour on the 60amp 240v circuit (48a charging), which is about 11-12kW depending on the voltage (moves around between 230-240 for us).

Of course chargers limit draw to 80% of the circuit.

A 220v 30a outlet at 80% continuous draw will provide 24a, so 5.2 kW. That's about 5 miles of charge per hour.

A 220v 50a outlet at 80% continuous draw will provide 40a, so 8.8 kW. A bit over 8 miles of charge per hour.

So the 50a is going to provide 69% more charging speed for another EV over the 30a on other truck BEVs. That will be much more helpful in a situation where you need to bring a "gas tank" to a stranded EV. I've never run across a stranded Tesla, but the question sure seems to come up when EV skeptics ask about it.

Are there any other BEV trucks with a 50amp/220v outlet?
Well documented post. It is unclear if the NEMA 14-50 on the CT is actually rated for 40 amps tho. You can have a '50 amp' plug but a circuit with lower amperage on it.

IMO, there is not much difference between 5 or 8 miles per hour in a stranded vehicle scenario as I wouldn't think they would have misjudge it by much. Obviously a difference.

I think the real usage is equipment at a work site, camping, and V2H.

Dazureus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Model X, '21 Model Y
Occupation
Software Engineer - Steering Systems
Country flag
Elon needs to work on those child car seats that get everyone riled up.
We're okay in my Model X, but longer trips requiring more luggage and all the accoutrements that accompany young kids has it packed to the gills. The falcon wing doors have been absolutely amazing for installing car seats and buckling kids in them. When the twins were young, it worked with dual latch seats on both outboard middle seats, but I don't think we could have gotten 3 car seats in there at the same time. My '16 is a 7 seater with monopod seats in the middle row, so there isn't as much item transport utility as those with the fold down middle row. I'll miss the auto doors on the Model X when I finally transition into the Cybertruck, but I'll enjoy the added packing space and utility.

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Here's an indirect description, from Musk, of these ext/int dimensions we're seeing (my emphasis):

Q2 Earning's Call July 19, 2023:
Within Musk's prepared opening remarks:
"his is the first truck that we're aware of that will have four doors over a six-foot bed and fit into a 20-foot garage. So, it's a -- it's sort of biggish on the outside, but it's even bigger on the inside. So, it's a -- that's a -- one of the elements of good design is it should feel bigger on the inside than it looks on the outside. And this is -- this is no small car.
But we -- we've -- we really cared about the exterior dimensions of the Cybertruck down to the last millimeter. So, it's just what you're trying to get right in the middle of the Goldilocks zone, not too big, not too small, and then really maximize the -- the utility of the volume. And we can't wait to start delivering it later this year."

Wmcgregs

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Occupation
Auto industry
Country flag
Blame that on all the urban cowboys that wined because they have an inadequate garage. I’m personally fine with the size. My 🌮 with a 6’ bed is just about perfect.
The garage justification for the smaller size is insane to me. I'd say 99% of all truck drivers have there vehicle sitting in the driveway or the road. I'd much rather have a massive truck than to park in the garage, and I'd say most truck driver's agree.

I still love the CT, I also have a Taco, but with the short bed, and even with all my woodworking crap, it works just perfect. If I need anything bigger, I'll tow a small trailer.

The 2nd point that drives me insane is "muy work truck needs plywood to sit flat." If you go to almost every job site, the plywood is delivered by a tractor trailer or at the minimum, a beat to shit 2003 chevy van with a trailer.

bjhinkle

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck Dual motor
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
Well documented post. It is unclear if the NEMA 14-50 on the CT is actually rated for 40 amps tho. You can have a '50 amp' plug but a circuit with lower amperage on it.

IMO, there is not much difference between 5 or 8 miles per hour in a stranded vehicle scenario as I wouldn't think they would have misjudge it by much. Obviously a difference.

I think the real usage is equipment at a work site, camping, and V2H.
I'm not educated enough in electrical engineering to know the answer to this, but with something like the Tesla Mobile Connector deciding what to draw based on the dongle, what happens when the charger tries to draw 40 amps if the DC/AC inverter is only capable of, say, 30 amps? It would of course not trip a 50a breaker, but would the inverter be damaged by this, or is this just a physics thing where you only get what is available?

On the V2V, I would like to understand if the efficiencies of possible mechanisms. In the scenario described above, you have an inverter taking DC from the battery to AC output, going to a mobile charger which is sending that AC to another vehicle, hitting it's inverter for AC to DC, then to the battery. Would it not be a more efficient solution for Tesla to have a DC V2V mechanism? Like a 2-sided NACS that bypasses the inverters? Maybe that's not an easy electrical engineering task (DC-DC V2V transfer).

V2H 50A 220v would be great, especially if it can work with a Tesla Wall Connector and integrate seamlessly with Powerwall and Solar. The Cybertruck could effectively be a massive energy bucket for your house in unusual circumstances. Plug it in and run your house and powerwalls til the CT is at like, 20%, then go to a SuperCharger while the PW run your house, fill up, repeat til your grid power is back.

Wolfgram

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
Pretty disappointed with the 72.8” bed length.
Wish the power outlets were higher capacity along with outlets in the frunk.
If this is accurate, could have bought a Lightning with similar to better specs.

Rick
You can still buy a Lightning. ⚡

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Some thoughts to add:

Generally, interior or exterior dimensions only tell a part of the real world story.

For example, a truck can have seemingly favorable exterior dimensions but a bad turning radius. At which point the external dimensions become less meaningful.

Similarly, as for internal dimensions, these for the CT only tell part of the story. I can still think of a dozen unknowns that could mean these interior dimensions, in the real world, overperform or underperform.

The rear seat dimensions could overperform, for example, in virtue of the all-glass roof creating a sense of space. Conversely, the rear seat dimensions could underperform in virtue of the small rear window (or nonexistent when tonneau closed), and seeming small side windows that start at the passenger shoulder.

Similarly, the rear seat headroom stats suggest that, despite the slanted rear roof, the stat is more roomy than an F150. But, headroom stats can be misleading if the headroom is achieved by placing the seat bottom closer to the floorboard - now your head has room, but your knees are at e.g., nipple height.

All these examples highlight the other thing about the Cybertruck as relates to dimension measurements: it's packaging is designed so differently from any traditional truck, that with the CT in particular these ruler measurements of interior room are particularly hard to judge.

Sit in an F150 with the measurements, and you can look at the measurements of a Ram 1500 and have a pretty good feel for the comparison. But sit in your Tacoma or F150 with the CT measurements in hand, and you still may not have a very good idea of the Cybertruck interior.

Personally, some measurements are encouraging (rear leg room) others discouraging (rear seat width), but I'm left mostly having reconfirmed my suspicions: I'll want to sit in it, or have a half dozen independent reviews from sources that I feel give a balanced hand to Tesla (neither the simps nor the FUDs).

bfayer

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent, Mustang GT, Toyota Prius
Country flag
A 220v 50a outlet at 80% continuous draw will provide 40a, so 8.8 kW. A bit over 8 miles of charge per hour.
I think you're under estimating the MPH when charging on 220/240V.

At 40 amps charging my MYLR gets 35 or so MPH on my home charger, at 48 I get around 40 MPH.

bfayer

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent, Mustang GT, Toyota Prius
Country flag
There is not room in the atmosphere for every type of vehicle. Maybe fuel-cell or hydrogen combustion added generator could do the same job. Should I patent that idea?
I respectfully disagree.

Having said that, efficiency and cost will cause most people to eventually migrate to EVs.

Almost Mars

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor Cybertruck on order, Model S Plaid
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’m seriously wondering if the Ramcharger is going to end up as the best all around EV-ish work truck.
It will eventually come down to economics. I have not heard the price of this or Cybertruck. People gravitate towards the best overall value.

ninja6r

First Name
Ninja6r
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, nissan leaf
Occupation
pass
Country flag
I won’t pay $100k for a 300 mile Trimotor CT.. .
I wouldn't pay $60k for one. But, if that's the way we're heading at the end of this month, guess I'll be sitting out until the 500 mile version is released, if ever. Don't see them selling very many $70k, 300 mile trucks. Can't imagine the market can sustain a price like for the volume they're shooting for.
Sponsored