Baker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 FJ
Saw this writeup and basically this is what the dealership I spoke to said basically. If it happens to be being built at the time then you can get it, if not you either have to choose one that is close or wait and hopefully get your exact match

To explain this properly it’s best to compare the order system for a brand like Jeep versus Toyota. If, for example, you wanted a manual Gladiator Willy’s trim, you would configure your Jeep to your liking and submit the build to any Jeep dealer. The dealer, will then send that request to the factory and typically your built-to-order Gladitaor will arrive in a few months.
Toyota’s system on the other hand isn’t so straightforward. As an automaker, Toyota prides itself on manufacturing vehicles efficiently, and custom orders reduce that efficiency. Over the years I’ve spoken with several Toyota dealers and even reps from Toyota corporate about their “order” process and I’ve gotten inconsistent responses. What I have pieced together is an allocation process that works something like this.
The Toyota factory will periodically release an allocation batch to a dealership. In the case of the Tacoma, the factory will tell the dealer - “You will get 12 Tacomas.” If a dealer has a customer that wants a specific Tacoma they will tell the factory they want a certain build, and here is where it gets interesting, if that build happens to be in the scheduled production run for that round, often the dealer will usually get the order. But, if someone were to ask for a Tacoma TRD Off-Road Double-Cab w/5ft Bed 4x4 manual in Luna Rock, and that combination is not on the schedule, the customer is out of luck until the next round of allocations gets released, and maybe the perfect truck will be in that batch. If not, they have to keep waiting until their configuration just happens to get on the schedule.
Essentially if you want a truck from Ford, Ram, Jeep, or GM the dealer tells the factory “Make us one of these like this” and as long as the allocation slot is available that request is usually granted. Whereas a Toyota dealer will say to the factory “I’d like a truck like this please” and the factory response is along the lines of “Yeah…we will see about that.”
Where things get even more difficult is that Toyota will schedule the configurations that are the most popular based on previous sales data, so if not a lot of people bought the manual truck in the past few years, the factory isn’t going to make a ton of manual trucks. Of course, this can create the cycle of Toyota not making things because people aren’t buying them, and people aren’t buying them because Toyota doesn’t make that many.

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'10 FJ Cruiser, '21 JLURXR
Toyota also bundles multiple features resulting in few configurations available.

Jeep orders are bundled at the model level with with SIGNIFICANT individual features available a la carte. like engine, transmission, rear gearing, roofs... and then a whole bunch of tech upselling nonsense.

Vastly different manufacturers. (ie; FJ purchased off lot with 2 bundles... JLURXR ordered with 10+ additional specific selections-35 days order to received). Chrysler orders, sold to the individual ordering, are in addition to dealers normal allotment slots.

CO72284runner

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Hyundai
I was told the same today. The only caveat is the build is based on location meaning they build to what is typically in demand in your area. This was news to me but I understand where Toyota is coming from.

signals34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hummer, rubicon
so another words, you get what we build, if you do not like it , tough....and they don't care because the people will buy, regardless.....lol

sub_sonarman

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Runner TRD Pro, 2018 Ford F250
This is not true. I don't know why a dealership would say that. Every Toyota built has been "ordered" by TMS (Toyota Motor Sales) and vehicles are roughly built in the order that the orders are received by the manufacturer. It may be true that TMS steers dealerships towards certain trim lines and options based on sales data for a region, but ultimately a dealership can order what they want. I suspect dealerships are hesitant to place customer orders because customer orders kind of suck. It takes one allocation away from the dealership and the dealership has to hope the sale goes through so they are not stuck with some weird configuration that might sit on the lot for a while. Also customer orders entail negotiating the sale price without the customers emotional attachment to the vehicle so the sale price is generally lower than what the dealership can get for a sale off the lot.

Last edited:

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX
This is not true. I don't know why a dealership would say that. Every Toyota built has been "ordered" by TLS and vehicles are roughly built in the order that the orders are received by the manufacturer. It may be true that TLS steers dealerships towards certain trim lines and options based on sales data for a region, but ultimately a dealership can order what they want. I suspect dealerships are hesitant to place customer orders because customer orders kind of suck. It takes one allocation away from the dealership and the dealership has to hope the sale goes through so they are not stuck with some weird configuration that might sit on the lot for a while. Also customer orders entail negotiating the sale price without the customers emotional attachment to the vehicle so the sale price is generally lower than what the dealership can get for a sale off the lot.
Toyota does not really allow custom ordering of vehicles. If your dealer is willing to enter in a custom order, that order will only be filled when Toyota already has that vehicle in their production queue and your dealer has an allocation. Most of the cars Toyota builds come in one of a few configurations that Toyotas product planners feel will have the most demand.

sub_sonarman

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota does not really allow custom ordering of
Toyota does not really allow custom ordering of vehicles. If your dealer is willing to enter in a custom order, that order will only be filled when Toyota already has that vehicle in their production queue and your dealer has an allocation. Most of the cars Toyota builds come in one of a few configurations that Toyotas product planners feel will have the most demand.
I work at a Toyota manufacturing plant. What you're saying does not match my experience.

Last edited:

Bronconomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
This is not true. I don't know why a dealership would say that. Every Toyota built has been "ordered" by TLS and vehicles are roughly built in the order that the orders are received by the manufacturer. It may be true that TLS steers dealerships towards certain trim lines and options based on sales data for a region, but ultimately a dealership can order what they want. I suspect dealerships are hesitant to place customer orders because customer orders kind of suck. It takes one allocation away from the dealership and the dealership has to hope the sale goes through so they are not stuck with some weird configuration that might sit on the lot for a while. Also customer orders entail negotiating the sale price without the customers emotional attachment to the vehicle so the sale price is generally lower than what the dealership can get for a sale off the lot.
Sorry to be ignorant but what do the initials TLS represent?
Thank you

sub_sonarman

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to be ignorant but what do the initials TLS represent?
Thank you
Toyota Logistics Services. Sorry I meant TMS (Toyota Motor Sales). TLS distributes vehicles from manufacturers to distribution centers around the country. TMS is responsible for sales, marketing, and dealer services.