HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Just to be clear, when I say I am getting 15% less then teslas stated EPA milreage I mean that my highway driving 75-85 in 90+ degree conditions is at lest 15% less then the stated Tesla EPA range.

Tesla is technically correct with their range under their "test conditions" but you know that people looking to buy any car are thinking that they have this range available to them under their normal driving and it just isn't true. In my Toyotas I always met or exceeded their stated mileage .

I admit that I was pretty nieve when I purchased my MYP and Simply put, I am not happy with the range on it. I will NEVER buy another 300 mile EV .

I even bought the tow package with the MYP and I used it once. I am still towing with my highlander just because I can make most trips without stopping and if I need to stop for fuel I am in and out without the need to disconnect.
Cars with performance wheels and tires will underperform EPA ratings on the highway. That's why I bought a "stealth" Model 3 Performance. It has the most efficient aero of any Tesla and this allows it to get EPA efficiency, even on the highway, at least when traffic is only moving 65 mph.

My advice to new EV buyers is to take aero VERY seriously when configuring the wheel options. That's because the range that matters most is that on the freeway, going 70-75 mph. It's all too easy to look at the EPA figures and say, who cares about that last 20 miles of range, it's insignificant, but that 20 miles less EPA range can turn into 40 miles less freeway range, a high price to pay for the look of your wheels. I'm not sure why some buyers are more caught up in looks than they are in actual function, efficiency and low operating costs. It makes little sense.

I'm glad you are able to admit how naive you were when you bought your Model Y Performance. Live and learn. I really wish Tesla would offer the option of taking delivery of Performance models with aero optimized wheels and tires like they did back in 2018 with the Performance Model 3. I never would have bought a Performance Model if I could only get it with oversized brakes and silly flat prone tires and non-aero wheels. This is one area where the people at Tesla are not thinking in a rational manner.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not at all. I'm saying EV's make a ton of sense when you have EV charging at home or at work. You don't need to be any particular age or even wealthy to achieve either of those.

Some people want to drive an EV badly enough that they will put up with no charging at home or work, but you have to be willing to go out of your way, and pay a higher cost, to achieve that. It might make sense for someone who only averages 20 miles/day in a mild climate, but most people in such a situation should probably keep driving gas cars until they can get charging at home or at work.

Crimson_Fate

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Cars with performance wheels and tires will underperform EPA ratings on the highway. That's why I bought a "stealth" Model 3 Performance. It has the most efficient aero of any Tesla and this allows it to get EPA efficiency, even on the highway, at least when traffic is only moving 65 mph.

My advice to new EV buyers is to take aero VERY seriously when configuring the wheel options. That's because the range that matters most is that on the freeway, going 70-75 mph. It's all too easy to look at the EPA figures and say, who cares about that last 20 miles of range, it's insignificant, but that 20 miles less EPA range can turn into 40 miles less freeway range, a high price to pay for the look of your wheels. I'm not sure why some buyers are more caught up in looks than they are in actual function, efficiency and low operating costs. It makes little sense.

I'm glad you are able to admit how naive you were when you bought your Model Y Performance. Live and learn. I really wish Tesla would offer the option of taking delivery of Performance models with aero optimized wheels and tires like they did back in 2018 with the Performance Model 3. I never would have bought a Performance Model if I could only get it with oversized brakes and silly flat prone tires and non-aero wheels. This is one area where the people at Tesla are not thinking in a rational manner.

I actually had no choice. I ordered a MY LR in SEP 2021. Tesla was prioritizing the MYP deliveries and I was on the wait list for the LR with an expected delivery of November 2022. In July 2022 my Car died ( the one I was going to trade in, headgasket) so I reconfigured to a MYP anf had my car 2 weeks later. At that time 21" wheels were the ONLY option . I did not want a MYP ( I even have it perm on Chill) but I had no choice.

Bkb13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
raptor
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Country flag
Of course not. But what's your point? We typically charge to 100% in our carport before leaving on an all-day trip. If our destination is a hotel with EV charging, we might not have to stop at a Supercharger at all. We charge to 100% at hotels with destination charging too, I've never had to pay for it.
I just wanted you to agree that charging to 100% isn’t feasible in the middle of a long distance drive. Thats all.

You seem to think the inconvenience you tolerate is OK for everyone to tolerate. I don’t think so.

Maybe I have higher standards.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I actually had no choice. I ordered a MY LR in SEP 2021. Tesla was prioritizing the MYP deliveries and I was on the wait list for the LR with an expected delivery of November 2022. In July 2022 my Car died ( the one I was going to trade in, headgasket) so I reconfigured to a MYP anf had my car 2 weeks later. At that time 21" wheels were the ONLY option . I did not want a MYP ( I even have it perm on Chill) but I had no choice.
I tried "Chill" mode one time, maybe twice, years ago. Not for me! LOL!

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just wanted you to agree that charging to 100% isn’t feasible in the middle of a long distance drive. Thats all.

You seem to think the inconvenience you tolerate is OK for everyone to tolerate. I don’t think so.

Maybe I have higher standards.
I find EV's to be MORE convenient than gas, not less! Why would you charge to 100% in the middle of a long-distance trip (unless it was at your hotel)? It makes no sense.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
If you can charge at home you don't have to "wait"...add a level 2 home charger and you are good to go every morning.

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra
Country flag
Marques is a master at driving the click machine. I put as much stock in this as I did in his video where the Ford Lightning was showing a 450+mi range.