Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Does anyone know if Texas has 30 day license plates? I’m originally from Nebraska and they have a 30 day plate you can get for moving a vehicle that is not currently licensed. I used it once when I had a car after college that I had put in storage in my grandparents shed for a couple years. The 30 day plate allowed me to legally drive the car after taking it out of the shed for 30 days. During that time I drove it to California and licensed it there.

I’m thinking that something similar might be possible in Texas when I get my CT to allow me to drive it back to Washington.

Funny story about that 30 day plate. While the car was in storage, I was working in Japan. While in Japan, I had gotten a Japanese driver license. Also during that time my old US license from Massachusetts expired.

So when I came back to get the car I was driving on an international license backed by my Japanese license. Also, Massachusetts only required a back plate so my car did not have a front plate mounting position. Nebraska though requires a front and back plate so I mounted the back plate and stuck the front plate in my front window.

On the way across the flats of Nevada, I got pulled over for speeding. The officer requested my license and registration. I gave him my international license, Japanese license, the paperwork for my 30 day plate, and the front plate that was in my window. He was very confused. He asked if I was a US citizen and I was. He asked about the 30 day plate as he didn’t know what it was. Then he tried to tell me it was illegal for me as a citizen to drive with an international license. He also tried to tell me the 30 day plate was illegal. And oh by the way we pulled you over for speeding by quite a bit (I don’t remember how much). After a much confused set of questions he took my stuff back to his car and did whatever he needed to do for a good 15 minutes. Then came back.

When he got to my window he handed me back all my stuff. Told me to be careful. Told me I needed to get licensed and a new plate for the car. Then he let me go with not so much as a written warning or ticket. Somehow it seemed like I had such a strange situation that he didn’t know how to ticket me. So I drove on out to California and moved in.

Anyway, I’m curious if other states have a 30 day plate or anything similar. Would be useful sometimes.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The last time I drove through Arizona, I was pulled over by an officer blocking the entire freeway in a construction zone. It was Sunday, there weren't cars for miles. I literally had to stop for him like a human stop sign.

He wrote me a speeding ticket - even though there was no way I was speeding - right there.

I don't think they really know what the heck they're talking about.

-Crissa

As an aside, I actually went to University in Arizona. And went to traffic school there to make up a speeding ticket back then, too. I tried to do that this time, and they were going to let me, but school in California was privatized by the Republicans and was more trouble than paying the ticket.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
As an aside, I actually went to University in Arizona. And went to traffic school there to make up a speeding ticket back then, too. I tried to do that this time, and they were going to let me, but school in California was privatized by the Republicans and was more trouble than paying the ticket.
Back in the early 90s I was working in San Jose (?Do you know the way to San Jose?). After one speeding ticket I opted for traffic school. Thing is that as a night owl I am always sleeping till 10:00 am. The class I was assigned was at 7:30 am on a Saturday. I did make it to class. Part way through the class I started falling asleep of course. I was awoken to the instructor yelling his head off about how if he caught me sleeping again he would throw me out of the class. The rest of the class was pretty much as interesting as watching paint dry. I somehow managed to stay awake. One of the other students (read offenders) told me that there was another class that was taught by a comedian and was basically a comedy show for the whole class. Too bad I didn’t get that one. Stupid thing is that most of the class was spent listening to the teacher try to impart his credentials and why we should listen to him. The rest of the class basically came down to the argument that speeding doesn’t actually save you much time so it’s not something you should do. His proof was that if you have 2 cars driving 10 miles with a speed difference of 10 miles per hour the savings in time is mere seconds. This is so dumb because it completely idealizes traffic to be a simplistic physics measurement. This ignores all the real world complications of traffic light timings, variable speeds of other vehicles, the classic slow/indecisive/timid drivers, and acceleration differences to name just a few. And don’t forget driver alertness, differences between local and interstate driving, long distance driving, etc. Anyway you can see I’m still hating that class. Perhaps if so had the comedy class I would have done better. Since then I often just hire a lawyer and get out of my tickets. It’s a little more costly but keeps the insurance rate down. Though I did get an automatic reckless endangerment ticket for speeding in North Carolina last month. It requires a court date so this time I have to hire a lawyer. Anyone know a good traffic lawyer in North Carolina they would recommend?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Arizona class was all about all the traffic laws and had a test. It was pretty useful, taught by a local deputy. She was alright. So was the deputy that stopped me. Hum, now that I think about it, all the women officers I met in Arizona were straight-laced and decent, and all the men were liars. The problems with small sample sets!

I've had to pass the driver's test in three states ^-^

-Crissa

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
The Arizona class was all about all the traffic laws and had a test. It was pretty useful, taught by a local deputy. She was alright. So was the deputy that stopped me. Hum, now that I think about it, all the women officers I met in Arizona were straight-laced and decent, and all the men were liars. The problems with small sample sets!

I've had to pass the driver's test in three states ^-^

-Crissa
I’ve only ever taken 2 drivers tests. Both at 16 years old. And both in small town Nebraska. First I got my regular car license. Then I got a motorcycle license. Both were pretty easy. My licenses were then transferred to multiple states and to Japan. Going to Japan my motorcycle license was converted to a 450cc bike license. Japan has multiple motorcycle licenses based on engine size. Hmmmm... I wonder how electric bikes will be licensed there. Then coming back from Japan my Japanese license was not readable by the DMV in California so they did not accept the motorcycle creds. Since then I have not gone back to get a motorcycle license again. I periodically think about it but here in Washington it rains so much I’m not convinced a motorcycle license is worth the effort.

gphenix

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
75th Anniversary Jeep Grand Cherokee, MERCEDES AMG SLC43
Country flag
Does anyone know if Texas has 30 day license plates? I’m originally from Nebraska and they have a 30 day plate you can get for moving a vehicle that is not currently licensed. I used it once when I had a car after college that I had put in storage in my grandparents shed for a couple years. The 30 day plate allowed me to legally drive the car after taking it out of the shed for 30 days. During that time I drove it to California and licensed it there.

I’m thinking that something similar might be possible in Texas when I get my CT to allow me to drive it back to Washington.

Funny story about that 30 day plate. While the car was in storage, I was working in Japan. While in Japan, I had gotten a Japanese driver license. Also during that time my old US license from Massachusetts expired.

So when I came back to get the car I was driving on an international license backed by my Japanese license. Also, Massachusetts only required a back plate so my car did not have a front plate mounting position. Nebraska though requires a front and back plate so I mounted the back plate and stuck the front plate in my front window.

On the way across the flats of Nevada, I got pulled over for speeding. The officer requested my license and registration. I gave him my international license, Japanese license, the paperwork for my 30 day plate, and the front plate that was in my window. He was very confused. He asked if I was a US citizen and I was. He asked about the 30 day plate as he didn’t know what it was. Then he tried to tell me it was illegal for me as a citizen to drive with an international license. He also tried to tell me the 30 day plate was illegal. And oh by the way we pulled you over for speeding by quite a bit (I don’t remember how much). After a much confused set of questions he took my stuff back to his car and did whatever he needed to do for a good 15 minutes. Then came back.

When he got to my window he handed me back all my stuff. Told me to be careful. Told me I needed to get licensed and a new plate for the car. Then he let me go with not so much as a written warning or ticket. Somehow it seemed like I had such a strange situation that he didn’t know how to ticket me. So I drove on out to California and moved in.

Anyway, I’m curious if other states have a 30 day plate or anything similar. Would be useful sometimes.
I live in NW Texas and had ordered my new plates for the Cybertruck, registered them to my current vehicle till then. I asked about the transfer of the tags to the Cybertruck. All I have to do is remove the custom tags when trading and take the tags to the tag office and they would register them to the Cybertruck. Best part is my wife is is behind my pick of the Cybertruck so she got the last three letters for her initials
201734A3-930B-4AD1-839E-D33A9D7D2167.jpeg

gphenix

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
75th Anniversary Jeep Grand Cherokee, MERCEDES AMG SLC43
Country flag
GDP DRP?

-Crissa
My initials and my wife’s. She merits this because she has stuck by me when no one else has, she is the Love of my life, she is my best friend, you never see us apart unless we are working. We will be with each other till the day we die. We both gave up family and friends for each other.

We have been married for 30 years. Never had a argument that didn’t end in laughter by both. I legally adopted my step daughter when she was 39, married with two kids. She never knew her real dad. They call me Popi.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

One of my previous co-workers would buy a car for cash and never register it. Instead he would scour the junk yards for a license plate with current registration and put it on the car.

Got pulled over 2-3 times and each time, the officer was so confused about how to report it, they just let him go with a stern warning to get it fixed.

Don’t underestimate the power of laziness.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One of my previous co-workers would buy a car for cash and never register it. Instead he would scour the junk yards for a license plate with current registration and put it on the car.

Got pulled over 2-3 times and each time, the officer was so confused about how to report it, they just let him go with a stern warning to get it fixed.

Don’t underestimate the power of laziness.
That'll get your car impounded and you arrested in California. o-o

-Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This was in California, a few decades removed.
Yeah, we closed up the gaps recently. Paper plates are issued instantly in a purchase now, for instance. And drunk and irresponsible drivers and thieves ten toward these stolen plates, so taking away the car makes the roads safer.

-Crissa

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I generally don't get a ticket when I get pulled over by a cop. I think its about 3 in 33years of driving. Speed cameras are a different thing though. They don't negotiate and apologise to well. :cool:

One day I spent the whole day swapping driving with my brother so I could organise stuff on my phone. ($1k fine here otherwise) So on the way home we got caught on the freeway doing 10 over by a hidden camera somewherealong the way. Got the bill in the mail, the photo was pretty bad, couldn't tell from it who was driving at all, just two silhouettes in the front of a Prius.. (We're brothers right?)

In Oz according to the act you have three options with a camera ticket, pay it and you are instantly guilty of the infringement and get the demerit points, but if you pay it and it wasn't you, you can get another fine, time and a criminal record to boot. The second option is that you nominate the driver at the time if it wasn't you, (which is what I should do if it was my brother) which also has implications. The third option, that is in the act but not was an option on the ticket form to complete, at that time, was that you complete a statutory declaration that you do not know who the driver was at that time.

So I took it to the police station to have a better look at the digital photos, asked the cop if they could recognise me from them, he said nup no way. So I said to him I'm not going to sign a statutory declaration saying it wasn't me, because if it was, under the rules for making a misleading declaration I could be up for ten years in the slammer.

So my options were not good, either way I did it, and if they proved it wrong I was up for even more trouble than just the fine. So after a few weeks trying to find a solution I finally get through to the complaints and investigations department that handle camera infringements, and lodge my complaint with them. (Their number is private and not advertised btw)

They then sit on it without notifying anyone else for 4 months, so the unpaid ticket escalates through the normal process and goes to fines enforcement in the court, and of course suspension of the licence for non-payment, because if I do and I wasn't the driver I get hit even worse.

So I end up without a licence over Christmas meaning my wife had to drive us around for the summer holidays. Wasn't actually a problem and I caught up on plenty of shows on the road. Trips tend to be shorter whilst watching shows. Luckily for my wife, that year our holiday trip was only 1600miles... lol :p

In the end they cancelled the ticket as it would have to go through the court, and that would of been thrown out for lack of evidence of the driver anyway. Most annoying ticket ever. But since moving "bush", there are no cameras out here, so happy days. 😀

(PS we only got our own local police in our town a few years ago, and obviously know them on a first name basis...)

Last edited: