Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
The panels have to attach to the rest of them, and that's probably where the tighter folds are.

It'll be interesting to see where they are; the edges could be folded over to provide tube shapes to mount hinges and each other to.

-Crissa
When bending annealed SS (3mm thick) you typically will require a 1-2 T (Thickness) internal bend radius. Externally this is a 6-9mm radius yet the observed bend radii on the CT seem much tighter. Since the 30x will be ~ half hard I expect there will be internal cuts where the shallow bends are and this will allow much tighter external bend radii to give the CT the stylistic creases it has on the sides. But I have not seen any part of the CT that appears to have 90 degree bends or tabs.
However, I can only see a certain level of detail from photos.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Maybe bends just on the front "grill?"
Nah, no 90 degree angles there, were you thinking of the 90 degree transition between the frunk and the grill area? Thats the light strip all the way across.

Most of the hard edges are seams where 2 pieces join.

Kremmen

First Name
Kremmen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR. Some project cars, some bikes
Occupation
Boring
Country flag
After all they need max heat resistance.
They also need to cope with extreme cold. Methalox on one side, plasma on the other.

Am I the only idiot who would line up to pay extra for a cybertruck with the main panels made from recycled steel from SN5-SN11?

I'd pay, I dunno, 10 or 15k extra for that, easy. :p

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
They also need to cope with extreme cold. Methalox on one side, plasma on the other.

Am I the only idiot who would line up to pay extra for a cybertruck with the main panels made from recycled steel from SN5-SN11?

That would be really cool. I feel like the CT has flexibility to use some cool alternate shell options. i definitely am no body shop expert so what do I know. Also, the demise of the delorean comes to mind and they made some gold plated and other special addition options. It would be cool to see the recycled SN5 etc. I also mentioned before seeing a Corten option or even copper/bronze or some really cool titanium options.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

That would be awesome.

OP
OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
That would be really cool. I feel like the CT has flexibility to use some cool alternate shell options. i definitely am no body shop expert so what do I know. Also, the demise of the delorean comes to mind and they made some gold plated and other special addition options. It would be cool to see the recycled SN5 etc. I also mentioned before seeing a Corten option or even copper/bronze or some really cool titanium options.
Yeah, I like the sound of that. "New for 2033, limited edition titanium Cybertruck, with a maximum "mintage" of 500.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Yeah, I like the sound of that. "New for 2033, limited edition titanium Cybertruck, with a maximum "mintage" of 500.
Now w/Structural Battery packs, your Avatar carbone fibre roof assembly is easiest removable HT version. It could presage CyberCAMPER and CyberVAN editions.
Exoskeleton looks refundant to my eye with so much strength from struct. batt. in the bottom chord, I’d be surprised CT needs the roof to stabilize the two trussed sides.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
titanium (my fav metal) cybertruck would be amazing, but probably quite a bit more expensive.

OP
OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Without knowing what "30X" SS is, it's as close as we can reasonably get.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
A Cybertruck made from steel recovered from a rocket which has travelled in space would be cool.

A good business opportunity for Tesla, it's not such a far-fetched idea.

'Plaid spaced out Cybertruck' @250,000 each?.

Rogan and Leno would be 2 buyers.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
A Cybertruck made from steel recovered from a rocket which has travelled in space would be cool.

A good business opportunity for Tesla, it's not such a far-fetched idea.

'Plaid spaced out Cybertruck' @250,000 each?.

Rogan and Leno would be 2 buyers.
With reusable rockets, there isn’t going to be nearly enough used rocket metal to recycle into Cybertrucks. Perhaps for a Founder’s edition or something though.
Sponsored