Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Toyota Tacoma and 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Senior System Administrator
Country flag
Has anyone else here upgraded their electrical service to 400 amps to facilitate two level 2 Tesla chargers? We are planning the upgrade this April. Our home is all-electric, so we already pull a lot of amperages. I am doing most of the work myself while paying an electrician to come behind me to check it before the utility and state inspector inspect it.
Sponsored

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Are you upgrading your service or having two more service drops?
I have considered just having another 100amp service dropped just for EV charging. That way I do not have to change my panel for my home service just to add the capability for EV charging.
Also, I am only planning on adding 100amp service, which will be basically two 50 amp circuits, which will have a charger each.
Maybe Tesla will come out with a home charger for the Cybertruck that will be more than 50 amps, but I do not think I will need it.
I assume we will replace the Leaf with a Model Y or VW ID4 (or similar) some time in the future.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
PG&E refuses to do drops just for EV charging ;-;

-Crissa
My provider is not looking to keep me from buying more electricity. Sometimes, I just am not sure why PG&E makes some of the choices they do... but that is probably why I am not incharge of a large power provider. ;)
There is already an extra drop the previous owners had... it was to run this obnoxious light that was for all practical purposes a streetlight in my yard. It got turned off in a hurry... but it was a 100amp service with a meter and all the normal service charges just for having the connection. The electricity used was very minimal (we are at $0.12 a kwh, but back then it was like 8 or 9 cents a kwh). They support smart meters... they used to do net metering, but I think they convinced themselves (and others, like the govenment) that it was not practical or some other BS reason.

OP
OP

MickP

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Unfortunately, I won't be doing this project after all. We are building a new home, but on the bright side, the new home will have 400 amp service installed as it is being built.

OP
OP

MickP

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Maybe, if it is not an all electric home. Plus, I weld as a hobby. The new home has dual electric water heaters. 200 amp would be very strainedwith two vehicles charging, two hot water tanks and an AC.
Sponsored