Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
Curious how hard it was to overcome these problems and what (if any) compromises will make it to production.

https://www.wired.com/story/a-leaked-tesla-report-shows-the-cybertruck-had-basic-design-flaws/
Alpha prototypes of new vehicles are destined to have problems. That is why they are Alpha builds, plus they aren't constructed in production lines, thus the lack of QA/QC. The important aspect from Alphas is to figure out these problems and manufacture techniques to alleviate these issues on the final production build.

I think this article purpose was just to get masses stirred up, create good click bait, and hate on Tesla.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I can fully understand why it's taken 3.5 years to develop. Tesla engineers and designers must have faced tons of challenges on the Cybertruck project.

I'm pleasantly surprised how much the production version resembles the concept truck.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Alpha prototypes of new vehicles are destined to have problems. That is why they are Alpha builds, plus they aren't constructed in production lines, thus the lack of QA/QC. The important aspect from Alphas is to figure out these problems and manufacture techniques to alleviate these issues on the final production build.

I think this article purpose was just to get masses stirred up, create good click bait, and hate on Tesla.
not exactly a fair or balanced critique of the article's actual contents

the things you say above are true, and obvious, including to the sorts of people interviewed in the article who were consistent in their response: which werent responses about "alphas shouldnt have problems' but instead 'it's surprising for alphas to have these problems, or to this degree, or this near to production' (the report was from Jan 2022)

i read any journalism with a healthy dose of skepticism and critical reading applied, but even after those filters there are still plenty of interesting bits left to ponder

just one example: " The contents of the report do not deal a fatal blow to the Cybertruck. As one veteran automotive engineer, who spoke on condition of anonymity to prevent backlash from Tesla fans, says, the company has enormous financial resources which will allow it to address the issues detailed in the report. However, he said, “my first reaction is I am astounded. These are classic mechanical automotive engineering challenges that you have in pretty much any vehicle. I'm blown away that they would be struggling so much with the basics.”

namely, that wouldn't it be wild if the unnamed vet auto engineer looking to prevent backlash from fans were noneother than Monroe :ROFLMAO:

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Interesting report. It's from 1.5 years ago though, so they likely addressed everything.

Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
Weird a report reporting stuff.

I think the difference as mentioned in the article is that they are writing it down.

Because you know data is bad. Lol

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
My thinking on this is what the article ended with:

“There’s no way they’re not going to be able to find a way to get the Cybertruck acceptable for the market,”

How they get there is really someone else’s problem. That said, it looks like they still have NVH problem:

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/forum/threads/🔥-cybertruck-spied-out-of-california-–-driving-on-texas-roads-🤠-🔥.8436/post-150264

Edit: The article did make me worry about getting decapitated by the hood In an accident. Hopefully, it will fly over the windshield not under it.

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Yeah, one response claimed in the article was how surprised they are by the honest of the report... my thought was, isn't it a good thing that Tesla engineers can feel like they can be honest in writing?
Yup, that was more comforting than disturbing to me. If they didn’t know about the problems, or could not talk about it, that is when I would worry.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah.

They start with the windows smashing - forgetting the successful demonstration just thirty feet away on the other corner of the stage.

Then they go on to call the document thief a 'whistleblower' - a whistleblower alleges a specific crime. They don't steal documents and sell them to the highest bidder.

Ugh.

-Crissa

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I cringed skimming a couple of paragraphs.

When I looked at the tonneau, .. how will the water run off when you open it ?

I don't like the term 'flaws' in describing a prototype. It's like saying a new student is flawed.
Sponsored

Last edited: