A More Useful Frunk

Bob Anderson

Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonota
Country flag
After the Lightning reveal, it really makes me wish the CT Frunk wasn't so much a lid, but copied the Lightning strategy of allowing for easier access/loading/unloading.

Looking at pictures what do you guys think? It seems it could be done while still keeping simple bend strategy for stainless steel.

It seems that 2 main advantages Lightning had over CT were home charging (which could easily be added) and the massive Frunk. I know Tesla Frunk won't be same size, afterall CT has 1' extra bed length. But making it easier to load/unload just makes sense. Thoughts?
Advertisement

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
F-150 “Lightning” energizes FORD loyalists, appeals to working tradesmen and speaks to their real dilemma when it comes to having power - enough of it.

Everything at that FORD EV truck reveal stayed on those points from badging the truck “Lightning”, frickin’ humongous frunk big enough for not one but TWO sets of “golf clubs“ and power to spare for not only work but power for an entire house — for days! Yeah, guys are going camping with this thing…

FORD worked it out, got on message and laid down a well thought out platform on which to loft its #1 vehicle. Elon was humble and right to acknowledge their entry. Its a compelling 80-20 amalgam. FORD knows its customer, the market for pickup trucks and stuck to what FORD does best.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
...but power for an entire house — for days!
The average American home may consume 30 kWh/day but many American homes are town houses, apartments, condominiums. The residents of these are not the people who buy big, expensive BEV trucks. The people who do live in larger, detached houses which, given the costs of these trucks, puts them towards the upper end of the wealth scale which means the houses are likely to be bigger and consume more power. My house isn't particularly big but for the last three months I've averged 85 kWh/day. Thus this truck would run my house for about a day.

Last edited:

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350, Yamaha Stryker
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I think the frunk was the only feature of the vehicle that really stood out to me considering what else we saw.

It'll be nice to have that load of an entry point for tool boxes and stuff like that, but I suspect that without a safety plate of any kind they will probably still recommend you actually don't put tools into golf clubs and such into there in the event of an accident. There have been threads about this before on this forum. I'm hoping that in my CT I can put tool boxes and parts bins in the front, but if not then normal roll-in tool boxes will suffice in the bed. If they add a safety plate, then it would be really cool to see a flip down front for the CT, or a grill that lifts.

As far as the vehicle to home powering, from my understanding if you have a Tesla charger and a powerwall they basically have this technology built into the vehicles, they just don't want to turn it on quite yet.

Bill906

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
but I suspect that without a safety plate of any kind they will probably still recommend you actually don't put tools into golf clubs and such into there in the event of an accident.
I'm not sure that is going to be that big of a deal. In my current vehicle I store a cast iron engine in my frunk. It was designed for that and the only "safety plate" is an aluminum radiator filled with boiling hot liquid.

CompMaster

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Wish we knew but we don't know much of the CT Frunk. Thus this gives Tesla to see what the competition is doing and hopefully adjust.
Was it the Hummer EV that it was mostly a hood with the front grill area to fold down to better access the goodies inside?
It is a touch call, add power to Frunk like some EV's or make it completely waterproof with a drain like other EV's.
Me using this the CT as the Family, work, and play car I would somehow love to have both power and waterproof with drain in my CT. Just wishes...

OP
OP

Bob Anderson

Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonota
Country flag
Wish we knew but we don't know much of the CT Frunk. Thus this gives Tesla to see what the competition is doing and hopefully adjust.
Was it the Hummer EV that it was mostly a hood with the front grill area to fold down to better access the goodies inside?
It is a touch call, add power to Frunk like some EV's or make it completely waterproof with a drain like other EV's.
Me using this the CT as the Family, work, and play car I would somehow love to have both power and waterproof with drain in my CT. Just wishes...
Yeah, a plug in the bottom is another great feature.

OP
OP

Bob Anderson

Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonota
Country flag
Yeah, a plug in the bottom is another great feature.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
Without question Ford turned some heads with that frunk of theirs, but they could get away with it because they kept their front end the same size as when they had a bohonking engine, radiator, etc. in it. The CT front end just isn’t that big. I think there will still be plenty of storage space in the CT but I like the idea of all these BET manufacturers learning from each other.

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Frontier, CT2
Country flag
The size difference and ease of access is not a huge deal for me however if CT does not come with a spare tire, at the minimum having a good place to store my own is important to me. If frunk is not big enough for that, it makes CT a bit inadequate in that regard (comparing to R1T or lightening).

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The Cybertruck frunk is smaller than the Lightning's because it's more aerodynamic. If you look at the Lightning, you can see its bumper is still the limit of the frunk lip, which is the same as the Cybertruck. The Cybertruck has a slightly taller bumper, which is better for safety.

And geepers, @Bill906, I use about 1/4 the power you do. (~23kWh/day) And we run an entertainment system and one to four workstations all day. And my EV. And half our heat is electric!

-Crissa

Advertisement

Advertisement