First Name
Reginald
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Private Lending Educator
Country flag
Without question Ford turned some heads with that frunk of theirs, but they could get away with it because they kept their front end the same size as when they had a bohonking engine, radiator, etc. in it. The CT front end just isn’t that big. I think there will still be plenty of storage space in the CT but I like the idea of all these BET manufacturers learning from each other.
Yes, between the frunk and the v2h connection, Ford really turned some heads...

Away from all the ways in which the F-150 is clearly falling behind on all the other specs compared to the CT. They needed something and currently those 2 items are doing a bang up job.

Faffle

Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul ev
Country flag
I just keep wondering how many people are going to turn a Lightning into their own urban camper and forgo homes. Maybe that's a west coast homeless thing but it seems like it would be cheap living.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Private Lending Educator
Country flag
I just keep wondering how many people are going to turn a Lightning into their own urban camper and forgo homes. Maybe that's a west coast homeless thing but it seems like it would be cheap living.
I can see some people turning it into an urban camper. They will also want to be in areas with charging infrastructure.

Not sure if they will be also forgoing houses though. F-150 is pretty expensive if you want the comfort and range that would make it a relatively ok camper. I don’t see why someone with those resources would give up a house. Maybe downsize, buy in a cheaper local, etc. But living full time on the road isn’t for everyone so I don’t imagine there are a lot of people that take it up without other pressures. Outside pressures often have a financial component or a financial side effect. Those effects would make the F-150 lifestyle difficult to maintain.

That said, I’m sure there will be some. At least for a period of time.

firsttruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Without question Ford turned some heads with that frunk of theirs, but they could get away with it because they kept their front end the same size as when they had a bohonking engine, radiator, etc. in it. The CT front end just isn’t that big. I think there will still be plenty of storage space in the CT but I like the idea of all these BET manufacturers learning from each other.
The Cybertruck has an aerodynamic shape frunk to improve driving energy efficiency

The F-150 Lightning frunk has the aero of a brick wall just like the ICE versions.

So the question is, how much extra energy is the Lightning frunk going to waste each year.
How often are 5 guys going to the golf course in one truck so they need the frunk to store the golf club bags. Would it not be better to put the 2 golf club bags in the cab or a covered bed.
Is the wasted energy really worth it especially if most of the time the brick wall of a frunk is empty?

With the Cybertruck the golf club bags would be in the cab or the vault and the driver saves a ton of energy and can drive to a golf course that is further away.

What is the aerodynamic & energy efficiency differences between Cybertruck & Lightning (how much money)?

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
The Cybertruck has an aerodynamic shape frunk to improve driving energy efficiency

The F-150 Lightning frunk has the aero of a brick wall just like the ICE versions.

So the question is, how much extra energy is the Lightning frunk going to waste each year.
How often are 5 guys going to the golf course in one truck so they need the frunk to store the golf club bags. Would it not be better to put the 2 golf club bags in the cab.
Is the wasted energy really worth it especially if most of the time the bick wall of a frunk is empty?

With the Cybertruck the golf club bags would be in the cab or the vault and the driver saves a ton of energy and can drive to a golf course that is further away.

What is the aerodynamic & energy efficiency differences between Cybertruck & Lightning (how much money)?
Interesting take. I wonder what a comparative analysis between all the efficiencies of each would show? Given the total efficiencies, I wonder what the percentage difference is kwh/mile is. It could be as little as 5% or much, much more... :unsure:. This would effect 5 year total cost of ownership, might even make the Ford fans, esp. working trucks, wait on the initial offering. Maybe NXT garage could do another video.

braddibbnd

First Name
Brad
Reaction score
Vehicles
13 Ram, 18 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ford did put out a few specs with their Lighning, but I have yet to see the Cd for it. But then that has never really mattered to most of the demographics of their customers.

Albern

First Name
Alex
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
While the F-150 frunk is impressive, doing something similar to CT would compromise the exoskeleton design and make it more akin to a body-on-frame requiring internal structures to hang panels off of.

Additionally, if F-150 drivers are loading the frunk with dense items (bags on cement) I'm sure that would compromise crash behaviour.

As a result (which will apply to all EVs) - always be mindful of what you place in the frunk.

Bankercobb

First Name
William
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck Reserved
Occupation
Marine
Country flag
After the Lightning reveal, it really makes me wish the CT Frunk wasn't so much a lid, but copied the Lightning strategy of allowing for easier access/loading/unloading.

Looking at pictures what do you guys think? It seems it could be done while still keeping simple bend strategy for stainless steel.

It seems that 2 main advantages Lightning had over CT were home charging (which could easily be added) and the massive Frunk. I know Tesla Frunk won't be same size, afterall CT has 1' extra bed length. But making it easier to load/unload just makes sense. Thoughts?
Agree. Ford did a great job.

Eddie_Catflap

First Name
Eddie
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester SJ 2.5i
Occupation
Archaeologist
Country flag
I'd be happy with a CT frunk which maintains the CT shape as I'd probably use the CT's vault for most storage. Handy to have a good frunk though, I'm just going to have to remember to use it! (...having never owned an EV or rear-engined vehicle so far)

RE: drag - some modelling was done in an old article on Xautoworld - I can't vouch for the methods or results...

• Dodge Ram: 0.59Cd @60 mph
  • Ford F-150 Raptor: 0.56Cd @60 mph
  • Tesla Cybertruck: 0.39Cd @60 mph

Cheers all, Edwardo Catflapo

firsttruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
RE: drag - some modelling was done in an old article on Xautoworld - I can't vouch for the methods or results...
  • Dodge Ram: 0.59Cd @60 mph
  • Ford F-150 Raptor: 0.56Cd @60 mph
  • Tesla Cybertruck: 0.39Cd @60 mph
Cheers all, Edwardo Catflapo
I believe the Cd for Cybertruck on that link is way off.

Tesla Semi has Cd 0.36

https://www.tesla.com/semi

Elon said they would try to get the Cybertruck down to 0.30 Cd

Last edited:

firsttruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag

How often are 5 guys going to the golf course in one truck so they need the frunk to store the golf club bags. Would it not be better to put the 2 golf club bags in the cab or a covered bed.
Is the wasted energy really worth it especially if most of the time the brick wall of a frunk is empty?

You’re preaching to the choir here, of course. I was just saying that the one feature that seemed nice was the frunk, not that I think it is better. I agree with your synopsis.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
F-150 “Lightning” energizes FORD loyalists, appeals to working tradesmen and speaks to their real dilemma when it comes to having power - enough of it.

Everything at that FORD EV truck reveal stayed on those points from badging the truck “Lightning”, frickin’ humongous frunk big enough for not one but TWO sets of “golf clubs“ and power to spare for not only work but power for an entire house — for days! Yeah, guys are going camping with this thing…

FORD worked it out, got on message and laid down a well thought out platform on which to loft its #1 vehicle. Elon was humble and right to acknowledge their entry. Its a compelling 80-20 amalgam. FORD knows its customer, the market for pickup trucks and stuck to what FORD does best.
As a Ford guy for the last 26 years, I've always liked Ford trucks. I'd probably have loved their electric truck at first sight, but then Nov. 21 happened. After two days of mulling it over, I asked myself "what the fuuuck am I waiting for?" and reserved one. I mean really, did I expect anyone else to make a SS truck? Not happening. At least, not for the next decade or so. No one else has the balls to even try, lest they be seen as copycats. After Cybertruck, all other trucks seem pathetic by comparison.

Advertisement

Advertisement