A More Useful Frunk

firsttruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Can't stop picturing a CT on a test track where they intentionally lured a herd of deer. Test driver swerving for the deer.
I meant tested in simulation or using dummies of a deer
Advertisement

Rick'sCT

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I am just coming out of a lease on an 18 F150. I liked the truck but didn't love it. The tailgate and drivers door latches failed to work properly in the first 18 months (recall on the door latch), the truck would hesitate on occasion when starting from a stop (tranny or fuel delivery issue), and I didn't care for the aluminum body (dented easy).
I think the lightening looks great and the frunk looks very useful.... but the vault on the CT will handle all my cargo needs. Whatever frunk if any on the CT will be a pleasant bonus.
As far as using the a vehicle to power my house, I am not sure I would use this feature. I would rather keep my juice in my truck and use other batteries (ego) or a generator.
If my power is out from a storm or something more man made and sinister I want to keep my ability to be mobile if necessary.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Reaction score
Vehicles
21model3,,71F250,88Dakota,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
I'm not sure that is going to be that big of a deal. In my current vehicle I store a cast iron engine in my frunk. It was designed for that and the only "safety plate" is an aluminum radiator filled with boiling hot liquid.
I understand the point you're making. I would like to point out that that cast iron engine is held firmly in place with at least three mounting points attached to the frame of the truck. None of that sprung weight is free to move except to dispel some harmonics through the frame.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
The size difference and ease of access is not a huge deal for me however if CT does not come with a spare tire, at the minimum having a good place to store my own is important to me. If frunk is not big enough for that, it makes CT a bit inadequate in that regard (comparing to R1T or lightening).
You bring up a good thought exercise. The tires on the CT, based on the load capacity of the truck should be E rated tires. If not, they will be when I get mine. With this said, I haven't experienced a bad tire yet and I have abused my F250 with overloads and construction debris. I have a spare on my truck. I keep air in it but I hope I never have to try and retrieve it given the hanger system ford used in 1971. I will be interested to see what Tesla does about offering a spare. My model 3 does not have one.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Ford indicated on their reveal of the lightening they offer a full size bed. However in this string of conversation someone mentioned that the CT vault was one foot longer than the Ford. Since Tesla announced the CT would have a 78" bed length but Ford indicated "full size" instead of actual length, I am confused. I have not seen many modern trucks with 96" (8') beds lately. So does this mean that the industry does not consider the 8' bed to be full size now?
My only complaint about the CT and modern trucks is the shorter bed length. I find these short beds inconvenient because I use my truck for material acquisition exclusively. When I get the CT I will drive it as my "car" and not just for materials because the efficiency will not be a deterrent anymore. Still, as my truck I will expect it to haul materials that are heavy and long, up to 16', without significant modification or manipulation. So which is it? Does the Ford have an 8' bed? Or is it a short bed like everything else lately?

Bill906

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Ford indicated on their reveal of the lightening they offer a full size bed. However in this string of conversation someone mentioned that the CT vault was one foot longer than the Ford. Since Tesla announced the CT would have a 78" bed length but Ford indicated "full size" instead of actual length, I am confused. I have not seen many modern trucks with 96" (8') beds lately. So does this mean that the industry does not consider the 8' bed to be full size now?
My only complaint about the CT and modern trucks is the shorter bed length. I find these short beds inconvenient because I use my truck for material acquisition exclusively. When I get the CT I will drive it as my "car" and not just for materials because the efficiency will not be a deterrent anymore. Still, as my truck I will expect it to haul materials that are heavy and long, up to 16', without significant modification or manipulation. So which is it? Does the Ford have an 8' bed? Or is it a short bed like everything else lately?

The F-150 Lightning is only available as a SuperCrew model with a 5.5-foot box, and it's an inch longer and 1.7 inches taller than the similarly equipped gas F-150. Its wheelbase and width are identical.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36433090/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-specs-revealed/

Bluechip506

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Mazda CX9, Mazda Miata
Country flag
Most trucks these days are the full crew cabs. If they had an eight foot bed they would be super long. For the most part eight foot beds are only offered on single cab or extended cab models.

I don't know how Ford could label a 5.5 foot bed as full size. What would not be considered full size then. Are there any beds smaller in a full size truck. Maybe that's it. Full size trucks have full size beds no matter how long or short they are while midsize trucks have midsize beds.

Could Ford offer a eight foot bed in the future? Sure, but probably in a single or extended cab and who buys those?

firsttruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Most trucks these days are the full crew cabs. If they had an eight foot bed they would be super long. For the most part eight foot beds are only offered on single cab or extended cab models.
Agreed most trucks sold today are have full crew cabs.

But there are also many options available for full crew cab & 8ft bed.

All the major Heavy Duty (HD) truck series for Ford, GMC/Chevy, RAM offer crew cab with 8ft bed.
Ford F-250 Super Duty crew cab with 8ft bed
Ford F-350 Super Duty crew cab with 8ft bed
GMC/Chevy Sierra/Silverado 2500HD crew cab with 8ft bed
GMC/Chevy Sierra/Silverado 3500HD crew cab with 8ft bed
RAM 2500 HD crew cab with 8ft bed
RAM 3500 HD crew cab with 8ft bed

These super crew models with 8ft bed are very popular with families that tow 5th wheel 27 ft - 39 ft travel trailer or toy haulers.

Last edited:

firsttruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I'm not sure that is going to be that big of a deal. In my current vehicle I store a cast iron engine in my frunk. It was designed for that and the only "safety plate" is an aluminum radiator filled with boiling hot liquid.
Not anyway a close comparison.

That cast iron engine was part of the overall truck design & crash simulations.
The cast iron engine was physically present during real word government mandated crash tests.
Steering column spearing itself into driver was another common issue that has now been purposely designed to be minimized.

Someone putting titanium steel rods placed front to back in an EV's fruck might not have been tested and might be a big problem for the EV passengers in a frontal crash.

Last edited:

Lasttoy

First Name
Paul
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 S. CT ordered
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I asked my electrician, he said no way. Houses are powered by AMP service. He said my houses pulls over 100amps. He asked how the charger cable would reverse the current draw to input flow??

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Ford has more than a getting volume problem.

SK Innovation has already been found to have stolen LG Chem battery technologies and barely escaped real punishment.

Tesla might be real keen to watch SK Innovation for any use of Tesla 4680 related tech.

So where is SK Innovation going to get significant next generation tech.

If you are doing a "clean slate" EV and you did essentially nothing about the non-aero brick wall shape you are doing something wrong.

2019 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x2 has Cd of 0.357.
Stellantis North America (RAM Trucks, PSA Group, Fiat Chrysler) Press Kit: 2019 Ram 1500
https://media.stellantisnorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=18753&mid=745

Even some past Ford ICE F series body shapes look more aerodynamic

1998 F-250 XL
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:'97-'98_Ford_F-250_XL_Regular_Cab.JPG

SK already paid the fine. The truck may have the feel of the F-150 but the front was redone. The whole truck was redone. When we get some real Cd numbers, then we can see. You don't like the shape, I get it, I don't like it either. That doesn't mean that the Cd is garbage.

If you want to dump on Ford, I'm not going to stop you. I'm only suggesting that all of us here, including you and I, consider whether it's pure fanboy or whether it's throwing shade based on evidence.

pagesix1536

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Nissan Leaf / 1969 Jeep DJ5
Country flag
And geepers, @Bill906, I use about 1/4 the power you do. (~23kWh/day) And we run an entertainment system and one to four workstations all day. And my EV. And half our heat is electric!

-Crissa
Guess it depends on the size of the house. I have 3 A/C units and a small EV to charge (among the rest of the stuff plugged in at the house). Yesterday in Atlanta heat I managed to use 79kWh. But even at that rate.... if the CT was to have a 200 kWh pack I could still run my house full-tilt for at least 2.5 days or more.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
My model 3 ride experience is noisy. A CyberTruck may ride more like stiff...
I'm going to have to stop you there. The Cybertruck does not share any suspension with the Model 3. It uses adjustable stiffness and height air-ride as an advanced version of what's in the Model X.

The prototype does not have a stiff ride normally, it has the right amount of stiffness as needed.

So they've both done that part before, and it won't be crazy stiff because there's no reason for it to be.

-Crissa

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
I'm going to have to stop you there. The Cybertruck does not share any suspension with the Model 3. It uses adjustable stiffness and height air-ride as an advanced version of what's in the Model X.

The prototype does not have a stiff ride normally, it has the right amount of stiffness as needed.

So they've both done that part before, and it won't be crazy stiff because there's no reason for it to be.

-Crissa
Maybe (most likely ;) )I wasn't clear. I was not trying to suggest that the Model 3 and the CT were sharing anything. I was trying to suggest that Tesla does not automatically make a wonderful ride, including stiffness and noise, just because it's a Tesla. And just because they made a model 3, that doesn't mean the CT will be any better or worse. I was attempting albeit poorly to suggest that Ford actually has decades of truck ride experience. Dissing their ride out of hand (as the original sub-thread I was replying to suggested) seemed like a false comparison to me. See how much it took just to explain it better(?). Whew...

Advertisement

Advertisement